Yoga or pilates?

jonnyman41
jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
those of you that run please..... what will work best? yoga (fairly standard style not chanting style) or pilates or both!
Having had an injury to my hip/groin area, (no clear diagnoses due to NHS not dealing with sports injuries very well) and still not being recovered enough to run after 5 weeks, I am really missing running or any sport really. I am starting to walk further now and can walk slowly for a few miles again. My local leisure centre, of which I am a member (state run centres, low cost with gyms/pools/classes for my american friends) has both pilates and yoga and though I can of course try both, I am sure it takes a few weeks before you start to feel any benefits so I am wondering which is most useful in helping recovery from a hip injury and beneficial to runners. I know my core is pretty poor.

Replies

• Ackshrn
    Ackshrn Posts: 11
    I swear by pilates for strengthening your core..... I'd 3 bulging disks and was on daily painkillers until I started pilates. I tried yoga but while that increased my flexibility I didn't like it so much.

Hope you recover soon
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Since your center has a pool, I would actually recommend that while you recover. Pilates tends to focus primarily on your core, whereas yoga will offer more full body benefits.
  • jonnyman41
    I swear by pilates for strengthening your core..... I'd 3 bulging disks and was on daily painkillers until I started pilates. I tried yoga but while that increased my flexibility I didn't like it so much.

Hope you recover soon

Thanks
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    I'm a yoga girl. If I don't do yoga for a week and then run, I end up in pain for days. I noticed this on accident, but it seems to have held true. I do core power yoga, so it's the core strengthening yoga that moves quickly. I think pilates is fun, I just haven't noticed any impact on my running.
    I say do both :-)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I would think yoga would be better for rehab. You might want to look into Bikram, or some kind of "Hot" yoga. Make sure to use any modifications or props that would help.
  • jonnyman41
    I would think yoga would be better for rehab. You might want to look into Bikram, or some kind of "Hot" yoga. Make sure to use any modifications or props that would help.

local centre does not stretch to things like Bikram/hot yoga and the town where I live is not yet open to anything 'trendy' lol though I can see how hot yoga would help as hot baths certainly help with the pain
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 643 Member
    With an injury to the hip-groin area I'd be very careful with yoga - certainly my practice is all about opening the hips (ashtanga primary series) and that would probably not be a good idea for you. Whichever you chose please make your instructor aware ahead of class so that they can tell you to sit out or modify anything that could be bad for your recovery.

As an aside, Í feel yoga has really helped with my running. Not tried pilates.