starting the gym for the 1st time!

Options
hello im samie, in December i was 19 stone i have cut down my calories threw mfp to 1360 and im now 17.6 ...................well im starting the gym for the very 1st time on the 20th and im really excited but i have never been before im not exactly sure of what i should be doing im thinking running machine and that's as far as my brain has got lol ...............any advice? what should i be doing? or will i just no when i get there this is all new to me.... thanks for any advice :-)

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Whoever is working should introduce you to the machines. I would start on the treadmill or elliptical and go from there. And just keep in mind everyone is there for the same reason (to be healthier) and not all gym goers are ogres! Most everyone is very nice..
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Someone from the gym should give you an introduction to all the equiment :) I was new to the whole gym thing just a few weeks ago. Now I love it. 50mins just doesn't feel long enough now LOL.

I spent my first week just exploring the equipent at the gym and finding my personal comfort zones. Now I spend 10mins each on the bike, elliptical, treadmill (1min walk/1min jog- I'm learning to run), rower, bike to cool off. I'm not usig the weights yet as I have a specific aim in mind wtih the jogging.

Enjoy, don't be afraid to ask questions!
    Geina x
  • _mrsgigi_
    _mrsgigi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    running is good. any cardio is. u should try some strength training as well.. i would google different videos to help u get an idea of how to, so you don't hurt yourself. Also, if your gym offers exercise classes i would recommend taking advantage of them! good luck.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    Congrats! The gym can be a great place. Not all gyms are equal. Some cater to bodybuilders, some to just women etc. Many are open and welcoming to all. I would suggest doing a walk through of the gym and get a feel for the facilities, lockers - do you need a lock, do they provide towels? Ask them when they are busy, especially the machines or area you would like to use. I would also suggest a short intro from a trainer. Often the first one is free, or a low cost. They will guide you through the proper use of various machines and can be great moral support as you get used to the gym. I have often felt that folks were staring at me, and my size or inability to use a machine. Now that I have been going for a while I realize that they weren't really staring any more or less at me then the rest. (Actually less - I notice that the ladies with painted on-tight outfits seem to get a lot of attention :-)

Start slow, write down what you do and plan on going longer or harder in the future. Chances are you will be sore! (I really was) If you go to hard too fast you may stop to heal and never go back. Plan for the long-term health and go slow and steady. Let us all know how your trip goes! Congrats again!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    YES! Ask someone to give you a tour and show you how all the machines work.

Then think about what you want to work on. Just losing weight? Toning specific spots?

I find it helps me to go in with a plan.......my gym plan tonight is I'm going to do the stair climber for 20 minutes, the elliptical for 30 minutes, and do 20 minutes of weight machines. When I go in with a SPECIFIC plan, it really helps motivate me.

Maybe just go in a few times and plan on a half hour on the treadmill and 15 or 20 on an elliptical machine. Just being on those is nice because you can get a feel for the gym, look around, see how other folks are using machines. You can also get used to those machines.......I use the pre-programmed cycles on the elliptical and treadmill all the time to make sure I'm getting a good work out.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    I agree with wheezybounce. Try each machine for about ten minutes each the first few times you go. As you get more experience and become fitter, you can focus on only the ones you enjoy or get the best workout from.
  • SaMiE2013DiEtINg
    SaMiE2013DiEtINg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lol that made me laugh , I'll make sure I have my baggies on :-) and thank you x
  • SaMiE2013DiEtINg
    SaMiE2013DiEtINg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice I'm going with a few friends so that will put me at ease, I will give it a go 10 mins on each thing and see how I go, we're having a induction so hopefully I will no a lot more after that thanks again :-) xx