Paleo. Where to start?

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
So I was very active on the forum for the last 3 years(?) but over the last 6-8 months I have fallen off the horse and no longer has the luxury of an office job. That will change next week!

I am thinking of trying this paleo thing cause as of late I been burning monster calls but I seem to gain no traction. Was thinking it might be wise to try as a jump start.

What do you all think about this? My GF keeps saying i should do primal but as usual my stubborn self does not want to listen to her.

Replies

• dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Paleo and Primal are almost the same - Primal allows full fat dairy. (Cheese, full fat yogurt, heavy cream) Start with looking at the Balanced Bites website, Mark's Daily Apple website, and if you're feeling inclined, the book Practical Paleo. Good luck!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    www.marksdailyapple.com - tis amazing.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Start by cutting out one thing for a week, then cut the next thing, etc. Giving yourself time to adapt to the change and not freak out because of a cold turkey change.

So for week 1 cut out all processed grains, Week 2 cut out all sugars, week 3 cut out all alcohols and so on.

good luck.
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    I'm going to give Mark's Daily apple a nod too, it is awesome. Best of luck, I've been doing primal for 25 years so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ^^ this is what I was going to suggest
  • Montco
    Montco Posts: 19
    Options
    Like others, I think MarksDailyApple.com is a great introduction. Mark Sisson's approach is a little less strict than other versions that fall under the Paleo umbrella. Take a look around that website and you will learn all you need to know!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I am going to look into this further.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You should listen to your gf. I hear she's super smart.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat less grains. I am already wheat and gluten free for 9 months, the only grain I still eat are GF Oats in moderation.

I do a lot of my Primal/Paleo research on Marksdailyapple and a whole load of FB pages - check out my profile where I have listed my favorite FB pages. :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go wheat free at the moment - spelt is a good alternative if you can't bring yourself to give up all grains.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is where I would start.
    the website is www.whole9life.com
    and the book is called It starts with food!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is where I would start.
    the website is www.whole9life.com
    and the book is called It starts with food!

I actually just finished this on Sunday. I am not planning on doing it yet though, i want to wean myself off sugar so it doesn't hurt too much!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this...

...and quick, find a paleo group on MFP and take cover. Paleo in the general forums tends to be a lightning rod.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    my husband lost 60lbs doing a modified/lenient version of paleo/primal style eating within a year, going from 255 down to 195. Hes at his ideal weight now and says he will never go back to eating any other way. He did not exercise. It was not until he got down to his ideal that he began to weight lift, do yoga, etc.

He limited grains and dairy and sugar.

In the begining he lost the first 30lbs by still allowing himself to eat breaded meat. So he was not eating straight bread or pasta or rice, et al , but if there was something like chicken tenders w breading or meatballs w added breadcrumbs, he would still eat them. He lost weight this way. Also he'd eat soup without regard to added cornstarch or dairy, although if the soup hadobvious starches int hem noodles, rice, potatos, etc in it he would not eat it. Also, he loves bbq sauce and ketchup even though he didnt eat desserts he did eat things like ribs with bbq sauce even though it has sugar.

The last 30lbs he tightened up and stopped eating breaded meat altogether. He limited things like bbq sauce and ketchup. If he has dairy its either in the form of tomato bisque soup or an occasional full fat icecream. He doesnt really worry about sauces that have sugar otherwise though- like restaurant marina sauces or balsamic glaze type steak sauces. He still eats full fat ice cream but only once per week

and hes lost a few more by incorperating freshly juiced vegetable juice