Moderation is Difficult

Options
Hello! This is my second go-round with calorie counting. Its the best method of dieting for me, because there's no way I can just *change* my diet and cut out bad things. I don't eat to live, I live to eat, so there's no way I can just eat healthy things. I need butter and deliciousness, so the best thing I can do is change my portions.

However, I've noticed a weird thing about me - I can't eat a moderate portion. I can only undereat, or overeat. I can net (as in, I eat more if I exercise) 1200 calories with no problem and feel satisfied at the end of the day - like, can't eat anymore, don't want anymore, don't feel I need anymore. Trouble with that is that it's not really enough to live on for an extended period of time, even at my height.

So I try to aim for something more sustainable, 1300-1400 calories per day for weight loss, with the intention of upping to 1600 when I get near goal, and then up again to match my TDEE (around 17-1800 without exercise) when I reach it. Start low to reset my eating habits kick start the dieting, and then retrain my habits.

Trouble here is that when I get myself up over 1200, I trigger the hunger anew, and end of eating all of the food like a six foot tall line-backer. Like, 2000 calories, which is way over my TDEE. With exercise, that's an ok maintenance level, but it's doesn't let me lose, which is the goal (I'm going for around 10 pounds).

So what happens? Why is that I can be fine on 1200, happy even, but attempt to hit 1350 and the next thing I know, the guacamole and chips are gone. There's no in between. What I've been doing instead is eating 1200 during the week, and aroudn 2000 Friday-Sunday.

Is that the worst plan ever? I need some advice from people who know better - this seems to be working for me, but maybe there's something better I can do. No fruit after dinner? Is it sugar that sending me to the cliff bars and the guacamole? Force my calories earlier in the day when I'm not hungry? More protein? Fewer carbs? Blah, I hate changing the food I eat, but there's got to be a way to trick myself into feeling satisfied at a moderate level of calories.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It takes practice.

But it's worth it - moderation leads to long term success, IMO. If you know that eventually you'll have control over your cravings and food choices, isn't that worth a few weeks of difficulty? To know that you'll be able to enjoy a slice of cake now and then? To eat some pizza on a Friday night? And that none of it will lead to weight gain? To me, it's worth the effort.

Here's something I remind myself when I'm tempted to overeat certain foods:

I don't have to have all of this right now because I can get more whenever I want. I have money, a car, free time, the ability to cook, etc. I can make or purchase whatever food that I want whenever I want it. So, unless the food item in question is the absolute last piece of whatever that ever will be, I can wait.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    As with everything, it's different for each person. For me, I just made the decision to do it. You have to decide what is more important. There are also lots of ways to get additional calories without having to eat a whole lot more. Extra olive oil, a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter, some cheese on your sandwich, extra salad dressing or full fat dressing if you're using light. Is there something you start to eat when you up your calories that you don't eat at 1200? I had a weekend where I made brownies and was eating them everyday for 3days straight and that sent me into a craving session. Eating a lot of sugar makes your body crave. I stopped the brownies and the cravings stopped. I still eat sweets, almost everyday, but in much smaller portions to control my sugar intake. You mentioned chips and quac a couple times. Maybe those are your trigger foods and you have to stay away from them. Ice cream is mine. I can't buy it anymore or I would be eating it everyday. If I have it, it's when I'm out and not at home.
  • mjoyelle
    mjoyelle Posts: 7
    Options
    It's good to know that it's not easy for others - thanks for the advice, It'll take a while to internalize it, but I'm definitely appreciative!
  • Tanyaka
    Tanyaka Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely identify your triggers and cut them out.

For me, I loooove chips and I can't buy them and portion them. So I don't buy them at all. After a while of reducing junk food your tastes will honestly change - for the better!!

I find snacking on fruit helps me get healthy calories in my day and lots of water should help you feel full. I forget water all the time, but when I do remember, it gives me that greedy satisfied feeling coz I can have as much of it as I want!

When I need to bulk up calories in my meals I just add healthy things.. a bit more veg, some lentils or beans, seasame seeds to my salads.. little things that don't change my hunger, but should be fueling me better.

I hear you when you say that you live to eat and want to enjoy food, not cut it out. I think.. to me it is about finding the best use of your calories. Instead of having any old chocolate, I only buy my fav chocolate, which is individually wrapped and I enjoy it so much, I really do think of it as a treat, rather than just some junk food to eat and eat and eat.
    That really helps me.. I can easily say no to most junk now because I know I could be spending those treat calories on my premium snacks :P

If you're happy on the 1200 weekday and bigger weekend plan... go for it. I lost all my weight the first time doing that.. and the longer I did it, the smarter I got about it. I am on higher calories this time round because I only need to lose a bit.. but I still kinda follow the same pattern.. eat strict most days then have a scheduled bigger dinner.. which seems to keep my weight loss going.

Nothing too helpful to say, other than you will find your balance eventually :) Every positive step is worth while, you don't have to do it perfectly!
  • mjoyelle
    Options
    Thank you so much! Fantastic advice about ulking up the meals so that it won't change my perception of what I'm eating enough to trigger the desire to EAT ALL THE THINGS.

And I always forget to drink water, so that's a big one. :)
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    SNIP

Hello! This is my second go-round with calorie counting. Its the best method of dieting for me, because there's no way I can just *change* my diet and cut out bad things. I don't eat to live, I live to eat, so there's no way I can just eat healthy things. I need butter and deliciousness, so the best thing I can do is change my portions.

butter IS healthy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's all between your ears. If you don't mind, it don't matter. Change your thinking and change your life.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's all between your ears. If you don't mind, it don't matter. Change your thinking and change your life.

I'm with this one.

It's called willpower.. you know you don't need to eat everything in sight, so don't.

Also, 10 pounds is not much at all to lose... so there is no need for 1200 calories per day.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Also just understand how what is in the foods is going to have an impact on your metabolism and hunger.

For example things that are low in nutrition high in calories are going to make you hungrier over the day.

Things that are calorie dense are going to shoot up your blood glucose which means that you are going to be hungrier later.

Things that are calorie dense, but are digested slowly are going to release at a more steady rate and decrease hunger.

Understand how the metabolism works, how the foods interact with it, and the symptoms they cause.

Until you do that it will simply be a matter of willpower versus your body. Quite frankly will power is finite.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There is a hormonal reason for this.

The hunger-regulating hormone in your body is called leptin. Leptin production is related to the amount that you eat. If you eat a lot, more leptin is produced and you feel more hungry, if you eat less, you feel less hungry. This is how you get anorexics eating 600 cals a day and not feeling hungry.

If you are eating 1200 and raise your calories to 1450, you will trigger leptin production, which will make you feel more hungry.

To avoid this response, raise your calories slowly. By 50-100 calories per week. Then sit at 1450 (for instance) for a few weeks before giving up on it. Your body will adjust. You just have to understand there is nothing wrong with you and your body will adjust.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Take a 1200 calorie day and add in a serving of nuts!

If it is a lindy day, add two! Actually, I almost always end up with a low net on lindy days, but I have only been going once a week lately.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Used to be--Moderation was just a distant speck in my rear view mirror.

Now--Moderation ain't that bad (...in moderation. Haha)>

You can do it. :)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Eat this not that". Start your day out or end your day planning the whole day. Measure everything. If I plan the day out and tell myself this is it, I am more likely to stick to it. Mentally you can't say I'm starving myself, just think of it as a stress relief that you don't have to worry about going over or under your calorie alotment. From my experience I would find your TDEE ang go 500 calories under that.

Since you are so close to goal you may want to leave the scale alone and concentrate on your shape ("how your clothes fit). You seem to do the cardio, try and add in weights. Heavy lifting will help tone. For weight lifting I suggest The new rules of weight lifting for women".
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Eat this not that". Start your day out or end your day planning the whole day. Measure everything. If I plan the day out and tell myself this is it, I am more likely to stick to it. Mentally you can't say I'm starving myself, just think of it as a stress relief that you don't have to worry about going over or under your calorie alotment. From my experience I would find your TDEE ang go 500 calories under that.

Since you are so close to goal you may want to leave the scale alone and concentrate on your shape ("how your clothes fit). You seem to do the cardio, try and add in weights. Heavy lifting will help tone. For weight lifting I suggest The new rules of weight lifting for women".

Yea I find when I add the calories into my counter in advance it A. makes sure I eat enough spreadout over the day and B. Helps me keep it in check if I ever do get hungry. Its the unplanned stuff that gets ya.
  • mjoyelle
    Options
    Holy information Batman! Thank you every so much for your advice! The stuff about Leptin in particular is fascinating, and really makes sense to me. I know it's not just all in my head, because I seem to have plenty of will power to restrict my calories, but I definitely appreciate everyone's will power tips - just because it's not all in my head doesn't mean I can't let mind control the matter!

Off to plan my whole day, and work my way up a little more slowly! :) And to reread a few of these replies - so helpful, thank you!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Before I actually started counting calories I started looking at portion sizes and realized that what I thought was a normal portion wasn't normal at all. That was my transition into counting calories - adjusting my brain to know what a normal portion is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What I've been doing instead is eating 1200 during the week, and aroudn 2000 Friday-Sunday.

Is that the worst plan ever? I need some advice from people who know better - this seems to be working for me, but maybe there's something better I can do. No fruit after dinner? Is it sugar that sending me to the cliff bars and the guacamole? Force my calories earlier in the day when I'm not hungry? More protein? Fewer carbs? Blah, I hate changing the food I eat, but there's got to be a way to trick myself into feeling satisfied at a moderate level of calories.

There is nothing wrong with this plan. Eating the exact same number of calories every day has no advantage over eating a certain number of calories on average over a week (or more).

I met my weight loss goal by eating less during the week and more on the weekends. Then I exceeded it, maintained it for 23 months, and have met several personal fitness goals during maintenance. It has worked like a charm for me.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When feeding your body you also need to feed other things to help satisfy you. Often when we are restricting calories we do fulfill those other areas by choosing lower calorie foods.

Color is important! When we eat lower calorie foods we usually include lots of veggies to fill us up. Like colorful salads and bright green foods. One thing that happens is that we look at a color pallet of beautiful colors and we feed our brain. We have many different aromas and our sense of smell is satisfied and then we have food in our stomach. All that adds up to satisfaction. When our foods are bland in appearance (meat and potatoes ... chips ... and so on) we tend to want more. I'm not saying they don't taste good and we could crave them for their taste, sugar content, how they make us feel and so on. I'm saying the smell and taste alone are not enough to satisfy us we need color too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is a hormonal reason for this.

The hunger-regulating hormone in your body is called leptin. Leptin production is related to the amount that you eat. If you eat a lot, more leptin is produced and you feel more hungry, if you eat less, you feel less hungry. This is how you get anorexics eating 600 cals a day and not feeling hungry.

If you are eating 1200 and raise your calories to 1450, you will trigger leptin production, which will make you feel more hungry.

To avoid this response, raise your calories slowly. By 50-100 calories per week. Then sit at 1450 (for instance) for a few weeks before giving up on it. Your body will adjust. You just have to understand there is nothing wrong with you and your body will adjust.

I think you have a few things on leptin mixed up there, although slowly reversing up to a number of cals is good advice
  • mjoyelle
    Options
    Taking all the advice - planning out my meals in advance (For the most part), going up just a little for this week, and adding stuff to my the meals I'm already eating - like sliced almonds to my lunch today :)

I may end up just sticking to my weekday/weekend split for now, and slowly find a way for the two ends to meet up.