Help?

Options
Hey, well I will admit, my diet is terrible.
Consists of mainly processed food and foods high in salt, sugar and fat. It's not that I don't like to cook, I love cooking but I find that healthy food tends to be so expensive and can normally make only one meal!
Money is extremely tight, so could people recommend what I should eat and recipes (dont have to list how to cook them or ingredients I can google it, but just the name of the recipe)

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I eat around 90 % healthy and cook from scratch. I have to say that my food bill has decreased by about 30% since doing so.

Fresh fruit and vegetables I get from the local farm shop and then just hit the supermarket for the rest. I avoid the biscuit, cake, ready meals and frozen aisles. I tend to buy fresh meat and fish choosing cheaper cuts like mince meat, chicken and pork fillet for instance. I also do buy large family packs on offer and split when I get home and freeze some for another meal.

Processed foods are usually far dearer to buy than creating a meal from scratch, except if you buy the supermarket, very cheap brand. These personally I would definitely avoid due to the chemicals and very cheap meats used.
  • RobinsonDawn
    RobinsonDawn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, if you have any recipes to share I would be delighted!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't follow recipes I just tend to through in what I know we like to eat and hope for best :smile:

My diary is open, have a look. You may be able to kind of work out what I eat from the ingredients.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    I eat around 90 % healthy and cook from scratch.

Love it.
    I have to say that my food bill has decreased by about 30% since doing so.

That's what happened with mine as well, approximately.
    Fresh fruit and vegetables I get from the local farm shop and then just hit the supermarket for the rest.

Same here.

I avoid the biscuit, cake, ready meals and frozen aisles.[ /quote]

I like you even more already! :flowerforyou:

I tend to buy fresh meat and fish choosing cheaper cuts like mince meat, chicken and pork fillet for instance. I also do buy large family packs on offer and split when I get home and freeze some for another meal.

I can't wait to own a large freezer for either buying bulk or cooking bulk. I want to see a mountain of tomatoes in my kitchen. :laugh:
    Processed foods are usually far dearer to buy than creating a meal from scratch, except if you buy the supermarket, very cheap brand. These personally I would definitely avoid due to the chemicals and very cheap meats used.

:love:

Tried to fix the quote boxes but jeez Louise, it's kinda confusing, hope it reads well.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    I don't follow recipes I just tend to through in what I know we like to eat and hope for best :smile:

My diary is open, have a look. You may be able to kind of work out what I eat from the ingredients.

I'm going to go look it up now. Sounds like I might find some hidden gems.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Research your grocery shopping options and always make from scratch. Don't buy junk food, that will always be a killer number when you tally your bill.

Having a lot of fresh veggies (which can be pretty cheap) is a good start, find some lean proteins that you can reasonably purchase (I get two 6-7oz sirloin steak tips for $6 + 5% tax which can be 4 3-3.5oz steaks in total, so relatively cheap for my city) and my usual veggies is shredded rainbow salad (shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and red cabbage) and sliced white onions. Both of those run pretty cheap, about 1.74 plus tax for the mushrooms (2 cups = 4 servings for me) and 2.49 plus tax for a bag of the salad (approx 3-4cups, I use a cup a serving).

This is also a low sodium, low carb, low fat and low cal meal :)

Simple is often the best and the cheapest. Hope you find some good options.