Long day... motivation to get to gym?

Options
After a long day, how does everyone motivate themselves to get to the gym?

Replies

• btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I work 2nd shift (At work now actually) so go 1st thing in the morning which takes a whole different level of motivation lol.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think to myself "What would my MFP friends think if I didn't post something" and then recoil in horror at the thought of it.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how good I feel after and how good Ill look later. Plus, I know who and what I must go home too, so I like to get there later.. :)
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think about how mad I'll be when I look back and didn't work out.
    Also, I remember why I'm doing this. This is about getting better.
    Think about your improvements already and how I don't want to lose them.
    Remember how great it felt the last time you worked out.
    and know that the way you're feeling now is temporary. As soon as you're in there... you'll be glad you went.
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to tell myself that I would just go for 20 minutes, and then once you're already there it's easy!
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think about how I will feel when I get home and I didn't go... and how mad I will be at myself when I weigh in and I didn't shed as much as I wanted to....to me getting there is half the battle...once there I am ok.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    Use the long day as motivation...it can only go up from here right?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If I think about it I'll talk myself out of it.
    Just go like it's your job and be done with it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You'll regret not working out, but you'll never regret a work out.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Get a gym buddy. Take turns driving, or just meet there. If you don't go, you have to picture that person all by their lonesome at the gym getting sexier than you, feeling better than you. Do you really want your gym buddy sexier and better than you!? Do you want them to look down on you!? HELL NO YOU DO NOT, GO TO THE GYM!

(I am not a good intimidator...did it work? :D)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i know i will feel better after a good workout. If i need extra incentive, i will download some new music to jam out to while working out.
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Great Question! I have long days often with my work. So I often reflect on the great burns created by my friends and/or the consistent ones. If they have made time for it within their schedule, so should I. Of course taking the pre-workout drink helps as well.
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't. I force myself. But as soon as I start working out I feel soooo much better! Sometimes, if I really need a kick out of the house, I download a good audiobook that I can listen to, or get some new music that I look forward to listening to. Good luck!
  • danceydancetime
    Options
    Because I know at night before I go to bed, I'll be regretting not going to the gym. You'll never regret getting in your exercise!
  • Winks0118
    Winks0118 Posts: 25
    Options
    My wife and I do cardio kick boxing and circuit training offered at the local dojo where I used to train in martial arts. There's a great group of people who always go which really helps the long day issues. Also, going with my wife helps for those long days, because she provides motivation as well as competition... and now that I'm thinking about it, another plus is that she can drive to the place if I'm feeling to drained from work - which I think she'll probably end up having to do tonight.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    I view it as "my time". I do this for me and I can take a whole lot of frustration out on weights or the bike or on a yoga mat. When I am done I can leave a bunch of stuff behind and just feel good about doing something for myself.
  • HugzNKissez89
    Options
    I think I'm going to take my iPad and watch that new History channel show: Vikings, while I work out. Watching sexy buff men battle to the death should motivate me... right? :P

Thanks everyone for the input. I should just stop thinking about it... the more I think, the more I falsly justify why its ok that I don't work out.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    "Hey Self, you look hot in yoga pants, put some on and go lift stuff" Works everytime.
  • Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do martial arts kickboxing at set times 3 times a week. I like this because I have to be ready by a certain time and just go, and if I miss it, I am wasting my money.

As soon as I get home from work on kickboxing days, the first thing I do is get ready for class. put on my uniform, put my hair up etc. Then an hour and a half later I have nothing to do but get in my car and go. And if I dont feel like going, well, I'm already dressed and ready...

When I really don't want to go I remind myself that it is only an hour... the same amout of time it would take to watch one program on tv. For some reason that helps, haha.