Does everyone eat their exercise calories?

Options
I know that u should eat those calories. I just wondered if many of u do? thanks!

Replies

• rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Eat them!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    No.

You will hear different opinions on this but IMHO you should probably do something similar to people similar to you. A 20-something body builder dude is going to tell you something that works for him but it might not work for you.

Since you are at the beginning, I would tell you to NOT eat them ALL back. When I started, I started with having a 3-500 calorie deficit each day. That was the only thing I focused on or knew about. I started at over 200lbs and it really helped me get that initial fat.

If you really stick with it and start working out regularly and start seeing changes in your body....your body will tell you that you need to eat back more calories and/or change your calorie intake.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten most of mine. Not 20, not a body-builder, not a dude. And I've always lost steadily, with a daily net goal of about 1600-1800 and actual calories eaten often upwards of 2000.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how you came up with your calorie intake. I use TDEE-20% and include my activity into this calculation so I don't eat back calories, but if you are using what MFP gave you, I would definitaly eat back my burned calories.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat part of my exercise calories back - just enough to net a couple hundred over my BMR
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    what IveLanded said....^
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    40 years old (38 when I started here), and I always ate most of mine back when I was using MFP numbers. So it was typically 1350-1700 plus exercise calories, or 1800-2000+ total.

Currently, I'm maintaining my weight, and have my calories set for my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) of 2300. During the week, I typically stay a little below that so I can eat a little more on the weekend when I don't log.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i haven't been, but i'm going to try
  • jendatcoach
    jendatcoach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do eat them back, but I also wear a heart rate monitor when I work out so I have a more accurate count of the calories I have burned. I have found that the MFP calculator overestimates my calories burned by ALOT!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I do eat most of them back, usually net less than 1200, but don't lose any weight. Sometimes, I gain weight. I only lose weight by exercising, eating around 1400, and not eating the exercise calories back.
    Everyone is different.
  • Weekenjetsetter
    Options
    if you want to lose weight its good not to eat alot of your workout calories, i burn 1,000 calories a day on the treadmill and i dont eat them, but you do have to check to see how many calories to have to take in daily, for example i should be eating about 3300 calories a day but to continue my weight lose i eat about 2800 plus a 1000 lost at the gym daily its working alomst 100 bs lost in a year just started myfitness pal about a week ago but i have pics with before and after weight loss on my profile
  • Weekenjetsetter
    Options
    25 lbs keep up the good work :smile:
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nope. Whether it's MFP or the elliptical at the gym, the numbers shown for calories burned are only estimates not not very good ones at that. I don't use MFP's calorie suggestions any more so I'm consistent and don't use calories burned either.

I set my own calorie goal and simply enter food. There's also the fact that many food labels are not 100% accurate in the total calories actually in the food. I've heard this can be up to 10-15% in some cases. Of course, if you're eating natural whole foods this doesn't matter as much.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of them, but I'll eat extra when I'm hungry or know I've got a hard workout coming. I also don't have my settings at sedentary.
  • royvee
    royvee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I leave some exercise calories for a margin of error with food I can't get an accurate total for, such as mom and pop restaurants that don't have calorie counts for their food. Of course, you can use the old standby deck-of-cards measure and get fairly close for a serving, but if you leave that margin, you'll generally eat less than your allotted calories, and that translates into more weight lost.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I did the exercise calorie thing, I used MFP's numbers, or the numbers from the treadmill, or the numbers from Runkeeper, and it worked out fine for me. I never saw a point in getting a HRM since my results were right where I wanted them to be.
  • adream213
    adream213 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor that tracks my calories burned for me. I'll try both ways, on Weight Watchers I usually ate my exercise calories and did well. We'll see! Thanks everyone!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'f i'm hungery I do. The nurse who does checks my sugar and blood pressure says untless your hungery you don' have to.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    nope...I want quick results so I maintain the greatest deficit possible
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Used to, but I don't even log it any more.

I burn well over 1000cal most days...probably more, but just stick to my allocated diet ( try to :/ ) and I'm losing more than i was when i was logging it.

Thats me though, different for everyone.