Cold turkey or not

Options
I have a serious diet fizzy drink addiction drinking up to 2 litres a day. I know it's bad for me and I know if I don't drink as much the pounds drop off . I've decided to try to give it up. Should I go cold turkey or not? In the past if I haven't been able to have a can before 1pm my head ACHEs!! My hubby has told me to cut down and get decaf. Cans but I don't know if this would help or not. I know there's a few threads on this at the moment which has got me thinking it's about time to be brave ( the thought is actually panicking me...)
Paula

Replies

• jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend currently has the same issue, however has no intention of giving it up.

Have you heard of pro plus? Drink water during the day instead, and if you seem to be having withdrawls and have a headache, take some paracetamol and some pro plus (pro plus is basically a pill of caffeine).

Eventually you won't need caffeine and can just have plain old water.
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    IMHO, yes. It sucks. But you CAN do it. If you are a coffee or tea drinker, that will help if you are having withdrawals from caffeine. Just drink them black or with some splenda or stevia to sweeten it. I love black coffee, so it wasn't as much an issue for me. I do like a diet coke, but since they cost $2 to order one at lunch, and I don't keep it at home, it hasn't been too hard to cut out. Drinking plenty of water helps, too. If none of that works or you don't like coffee or tea, you can always try (I know this probably won't be popular around here) caffeine pills like no-doz, or a caffeinated energy drink like 5 hour energy. That should at least hold off the craving, and get rid of your headache.

I wish I could tell you "just do this magic thing and it will be easy!" But unfortunately, it basically boils down to "suck it up, buttercup!".
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I basically went cold turkey 6 or 7 weeks ago TODAY. I did sort of do some reducing before, but really not that much reducing. Yes, be prepared for headaches and battling the psychological need to reach for it with meals or when doing things that you would do with it nearby.

When I stopped I used the Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares to help with the headaches, my husband had the super high cocoa content ones which were awful, I would eat a square over the course of the day to help. These were 70-82% cocoa so they were very bitter and chalky but also had the caffeine it helped me a lot.

I was drinking a ton of water in addition to the soda so I did not have to retrain myself to drink water as an alternative. Now I drink water and usually once a day have a "singles to go" powder flavoring that I drink very diluted to give some flavor, I also drink hot and cold unsweetened tea, or water with lemon and lime.

I still sometimes have the urge to have the fizzy drinks overall I think I am well on my way to being soda free. I did not really intend to give it up 100% but as time goes on I don't want to ruin my streak. It does become easier to not feel like you "need" it.

For me the clincher was reading someone here had stated in the month they stopped they felt they had lost 10 pounds, I don't think that has been the case for me but to that I have had many other things going on since I gave it up, a 10 day vacation and a fall and crutches which has derailed my continuing weight loss - I have been in maintain mode for a few weeks now.

I will add I do think I feel less snacky from eliminating the soda, for me drinking diet soda and overeating by snacking seemed to go hand in hand, though for a long time you would not have convinced me of this.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda for Lent and don't intend on going back. I had cut back to having maybe 20 oz a day but only because I no longer kept it in the house. I, too, would drink a 2 liter if it was around the house. I do drink coffee and iced too, though, so I'm still getting the caffiene. That's a habit I can't quit. But you could do it, you just might have to put up with a few days of headaches and feeling tired. I gave up soda last year too, but went back to it around the summer time. There's just so many chemicals in it, I don't' want it any more. Good luck!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Cold turkey can be painful, because you're used to all that caffeine. I wouldn't go with No-Doz or other pills, as they will just become another bad habit you need to break. Try cutting back by half to start. You can either alternate or pour half decaf and half regular. Once your body adjusts cut back again, or go cold turkey at that point. Seltzer (club soda, sparkling water) can curb the craving for bubbles and doesn't have any of the bad stuff.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the detox from caffeine is only about 3 days. You can do it.
  • sausagepaula
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I love the phrase suck it up , buttercup!! That is what I shall try to do. I'm actually having a glass of water as I type.. I don't drink tea or coffee and squashes make me vomit.. I do like a juice occasionally but I do get concerned about their sugar content so it looks like its water all the way x
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! It'll take a few days, but it'll be worth it. A few years ago, I got to the point where the carbonation from those drinks gave me chest pains...they still do, but it forced me to cut them out alltogether. I have one every now and again but not every day. Try drinking flavored water...or making your own!
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Go caffeine free, or take up black coffee (still in moderation) instead (it will take about a week to get over caffeine withdrawals)
    Step 2: Switch to Diet Rite if they have it where you are (are you in the US, I think it's worldwide..hmm), to get you out of pinches. Diet Rite has no aspartame, no caffeine, less sodium, and half of the other artificial sweeteners you're probably addicted to at this point. It can be a nice step down when you absolutely NEED to have some soda. I also love Stevia soda, it's more expensive but way better for you, all natural. Buy that over Diet Rite if you can too. (It can take anywhere from 1-2 months to get over artificial sweetener cravings)
    Step 3: After you get detoxed from some of the substances in the soda (caffeine, artificial sweeteners), about a month, focus then on going cold turkey completely to get 'emotionally' over it

I was in the same position, and that's how I did it. I tried to prevent drinking any soda as much as possible, but when I knew I was going to crack, I went for better choices. It's the only thing that saved me, I've tried giving up diet soda for years before that. For me it was one of the nastiest habits I had, I drank far more soda than anyone else around me and couldn't control it. I'm not sure if you're as bad as I was, but those are just my tips. :)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why not just cut back so you aren't drinking as much.

Diet drinks will not stop you from losing weight or decrease the amount you will lose. If you like it, drink it.

If it's really something you want to give up either slowly cut back or just give it up. If you drink coffee or tea it will help with the caffiene withdrawl.