Running a 5k next month. Need Advice!

Options
I'm gonna be running on a 5k and i wanted to know if you had any tips to prepare, i know it's early but i atleast want to try so it can motivate me to try hard for this, i hear alot of people get motivation after a 5k, so any tips would be appreciated :) also i'm big and wanted to know if it's okay to run a 5k? and also any stories of being motivated after your first race :)

Replies

• Brandee4
    Brandee4 Posts: 26
    Options
    I did the couch to 5K and it was great! You just need to stick with it and try not to push yourself harder or further than the program. It was the first time I was ever able to run.
  • brihodges
    brihodges Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used the Couch to 5k program as well (loved the App). My first 5k was two years ago. Now I run anywhere between 3-4 5ks a year. I wanted to push myself, so I signed up to run the Biggest Loser half-marathon in August! A big jump from a 5k, but so far so good...I'm up to 8 miles for my long run. One thing I've found about 5ks or any running event is that the people are awesome. Everyone there is there to have fun and get out and run. Everyone is encouraging everyone else. The best part (for me at least) is the last half mile, where there are people lining the streets cheering you on. The sense of accomplishment is like no other! Best of luck to you!
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5K a week ago... here is my advice.. if you train on a treadmill like did, get OUTSIDE. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I am now trying to get outside to do my training and my walking.. weather is finally getting nice enough. I found out big time this week that I need to be training outside because I needed some down hill training, and I can't do that on a treadmill!! Good Luck! You can do it!
  • JenniferSpindel
    JenniferSpindel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As a recent finder of 5ks, let me tell you this...Yes you do need to prepare and yes you do need to train... but the adrenaline when you first get there will push you through.

Before my first run I was super nervous.... the farthest I'd ever run on a treadmill was 2 miles, and that was at a snail's pace. I worried that I would come in last, or that I wouldn't be able to get further than a mile before having to stop and walk.

But I made a committment to myself and I deserved to keep that committment. My goal was to RUN the entire thing.

Two days before the race I talked to a friend who did a lot of races... he told me, "You will always be nervous before a race, but the energy of the people around you, the excitement of the start, and the pure joy you feel at the end will keep you coming back for more. And if you can do 2 miles on a treadmill, you can EASILY do 3 miles outside"

And he was right. I won't say that it was the easiest thing I've ever done, but that feeling of accomplishment at the end was unlike anything I have EVER felt... and as I was running it got easier, and suddenty I was at mile 3 and it was over....

My advice to you is:
    Create a regimen that you can stick with and stick to it (as far as running beforehand)
    Don't work out the day before your race
    Carbo load the night before! (I have a pre-race day tradition of going to a spaghetti house now!)
    Get enough sleep the night before
    Drink lots of water (always, but more so the few days before the race... cleanse your body out)
    Eat a little something the morning of your race... include lots of protein ( i usually have scrambled eggs with a little chicken thrown in)

As far as my motivation AFTER the race? Well... after that race I signed up for a 7k (that I just ran two days ago) and now have a goal of running one 5k a month.... my next one is April 21st.

Feel free to add me as a friend for any questions. I know as a first time runner it's a little intimidating, but just tell yourself that you CAN do it and afterwards you will feel AMAZING!
  • Crossfit_Mom_2_4
    Crossfit_Mom_2_4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am using an app on my iPhone called "Ease into 5k" and I'll be finishing that app up first week in April. They now have "Bridge to 10K" specifically for the "East into 5k" users (I am doing a Spartan Sprint in May). I LOVE the apps! They work and I am running again!!