I'm one week old

Options
Hi everyone. I am one week old today. I started with you last Monday and after the support I received, following the death of my dog, I decided this was the place for me.

I'm going to introduce myself, finally. I'm a 50 year old special education teacher, mother of two and grandmother of 1. I also have two step-grandchildren, (sort of). I have a husband who has never had to worry about his weight, but I see that he too, has put on a few pounds.

Anyway...I have been overweight, off and on, throughout my whole life. I hit the 245 lb. mark last August and couldn't take it anymore. I'm only 5'3". I decided that what I would do is not worry about the food, but exercise every day. After about 3 months of that and a loss of 20 lbs. I started saying the only thing I was going to do is never have seconds and only eat fruit, veges, or popcorn after dinner. I would eat yogurt for breakfast and as big of a vegetable salad as I wanted. By my 50th bd I had lost 50 lbs. Then I hit the wall. I haven't budged since, but have now decided it's time to count the calories. I hate doing that, because it seems to focus me on the food all day long.

When I found the calorie counter and exercise log here, I decided to try. Then my dog passed and I lost it, but I'm back again and my tactic is to try to write down what I am going to eat, before I eat it. If I can do it in the morning, that will be best, but I will always write before I eat.

Well that's enough about me. I'm going to find out how to add that cool weight guage to my posts. I think it's a great way for me to keep track of my success.
AB

Replies

• ABARNHART
    ABARNHART Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am one week old today. I started with you last Monday and after the support I received, following the death of my dog, I decided this was the place for me.

I'm going to introduce myself, finally. I'm a 50 year old special education teacher, mother of two and grandmother of 1. I also have two step-grandchildren, (sort of). I have a husband who has never had to worry about his weight, but I see that he too, has put on a few pounds.

Anyway...I have been overweight, off and on, throughout my whole life. I hit the 245 lb. mark last August and couldn't take it anymore. I'm only 5'3". I decided that what I would do is not worry about the food, but exercise every day. After about 3 months of that and a loss of 20 lbs. I started saying the only thing I was going to do is never have seconds and only eat fruit, veges, or popcorn after dinner. I would eat yogurt for breakfast and as big of a vegetable salad as I wanted. By my 50th bd I had lost 50 lbs. Then I hit the wall. I haven't budged since, but have now decided it's time to count the calories. I hate doing that, because it seems to focus me on the food all day long.

When I found the calorie counter and exercise log here, I decided to try. Then my dog passed and I lost it, but I'm back again and my tactic is to try to write down what I am going to eat, before I eat it. If I can do it in the morning, that will be best, but I will always write before I eat.

Well that's enough about me. I'm going to find out how to add that cool weight guage to my posts. I think it's a great way for me to keep track of my success.
    AB
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry to hear about your dog.:frown: I really, truly hope you enjoy yourself here and maybe shed some pounds to boot.

Officially "WELCOME" to MFP!:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Abarnhart. We've got a lot in common. I recently lost a cat, so I know how heartbreaking it is to lose such a close member of the family. I also work in Special Ed, for 4 years now. And, I've pretty much always had a weight problem.
    I've gotta tell you that this is the greatest site! I've tried about every diet there is out there, and this IS THE ONE! I've already lost 16 pounds in 8 weeks. (Tomorrow is my weigh in day, I'm hoping for more!)
    Being able to see all your "numbers" is such an eye opener. I found my main problem area was way too much protein. Now I watch that, plus do alot of exercising (walking, and dancing in my living room)
    and the weight is "practically" falling off!
    I'm sure you'll do just as well too!