PCOS buddies??

Options

Replies

• MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hey ! I was diagnosed with PCOS 6 years ago and struggled with my weight up till almost 2 years ago when I joined this site!! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me :)
  • LissyLynn44
    LissyLynn44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was diagnosed with pcos in November 2012. I was put on medication and since January 1st I have lost 16 pounds! Feel free to add me! :)
  • kristeng85
    Options
    Hi all I am 28 and was finally diagnosed with PCOS last year. I have gained almost 60lbs in the last few years. Everything I have tried in the past has failed in weight loss but I realized doing nothing was worse and weight piled on quckly. Unfortunately metformin did not do anything for me so I just try to watch what I eat. I have lost some weight but gain it back very easily if I have some extra calories. I also have a hypothyrodism so I have a double whammy with the weight loss. It is comforting to know there are some of you that have managed to lose weight with pcos. I would love for you to tell us in more details how you succeeded. I think connecting with others who can relate and positivity that we can lose weight can help us reach our goals.
  • symkat
    symkat Posts: 70
    Options
    Hey all, I have done about 2 years of research on PCOS and other related problems and what I found is that most PCOS and also infertility problems can be traced back to a hormonal imbalance. I have also done a rediculous amount of research on hormones and found that the best thing to do is get tested through a lab (I went through a place called ZRT labs) and then take the results to your doctor when you get them. I've also learned that the best and safest way to treat a hormonal imbalance is to use all natural bio identical hormone cream. I went through this whole process and it quite literaly saved my life. there are alot of places that do the all natural bio identical hormone creams but be careful because some are insanely over priced so do lots of research before you pick one. I chose a place called the happy hormone cottage. everything is done by phone but can be done in person if prefered and is very in expensive. I pay $28 every three months for my progesterone cream. this won't help all of you but if it helps just one person not have to suffer through what I did for almost my whole life then it is worth it. this is an easy test to take and could change your life so why not take a chance and see? it's completely safe and an easy way to find out if that is what the problem is. I wish someone would have told me about it 20-30 years ago and saved me the pain. also I've lost 52 pounds in a little less than a year because of the cream getting my hormones back into balance and I have not even started exercising yet as I too am allergic to exercise lol. I hope you all find a solution to this problem and can live happy healthy lives.
  • IrisPie
    IrisPie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I'm new to MFP. I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 yrs ago & losing weight has never been so hard. I hate it! My friend suggested I start MFP & logging my food. 1300 calories, 120g Carbs, 120g Protein & 30g Fats. I'm not sure about the Carbs since I haven't lost weight this week. It's only been 5 days tho. I've worked out an hour plus 3 days a week. I'm trying to figure out if I need to cut my grams of carbs a lil more cuz I feel that I should have lost automatically because I've cut calories and worked out but nothing has happened. Any help on percentages of carbs/protein/fat?
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I suffer as well from PCOS and I am trying to lose weight so my husband and I can have a baby.. Feel free to add me
  • fallouther
    fallouther Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been on MFP forever and never knew that there were other people struggling to lose weight with PCOS just like me. I am 23 and my husband and I would like to have our first child in the near future. I decided that my health and this disorder is not going to be the only thing standing between me and my family. I was diagnosed last year and have been struggling to lose weight ever since. I've managed to lose about 20lbs but I still have nearly 100 to go.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found this message board. I've added quite a few of the people on here so we can be each others support network when everything in life is tough. Feel free to add me!

-Chelsea
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My wife has PCOS. What is the difference in loosing weight? What do you ladies have to do differently to loose weight easier? Thanks
  • CagedNightingale
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just joined tonight and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 but didn't do anything about it until recently because I want to get pregnant. I would love any PCOS friendly recipes if you gals have any. If you haven't heard about it already you should google Pregnitude. It's been a huge help with my PCOS.
  • CagedNightingale
    Options
    Loosing weight will help heaps especially if you guys are trying to have kids because the weight loss will even out her hormones. Having PCOS basically means your allergic to wheat, diary and yeast. Also the less the food is processed the better it will be for her. She should try Pregnitude it's meant to help with regulating periods and access hair.
  • jdad1
    Options
    Loosing weight will help heaps especially if you guys are trying to have kids because the weight loss will even out her hormones. Having PCOS basically means yourallergic to wheat, diary and yeast. Also the less the food is processed the better it will be for her. She should try Pregnitude it's meant to help with regulating periods and access hair.

I thought she just had to eat a low carb diet, like 100 grams or so, and watch her sugers. What is wrong with wheat and dairy?
  • CagedNightingale
    Options
    The gluten in the wheat is the problem to a PCOS sufferer it causes hormonal imbalance but not only that it creates inflammation in the body. Having PCOS doesn't mean you have celiac disease but are gluten sensitive. In terms of the dairy go to this link http://pcosdiva.com/2011/07/dont-be-a-dairy-queen-part-1/ This is an awesome recourse for PCOS sufferers. I hope this helps.
  • jdad1
    Options
    so if we are eating more wheat things like a normal person then that would be a negative choice for a PCOS person? Does it not help in this area to just cut carbs as a whole down?
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yep, one of my dx. I was dx about 13 years ago after having my daughter. at the moment i only take meds every 3-4 months to trigger a cycle if none has shown up. have tried bc pills and metformin of the years. i also have the hypoglycemia and hx of insulin resistance that runs with PCOS. am also aiming for 100 pounds lost, and just started this last journey last fall. feel free to add me. alsways looking for friends fighting the same battles to exchange support, experiences. and ideas! good luck ladies!

**also, first i have heard of this pregnitude, gonna look into it. thanks for sharing.
  • CagedNightingale
    Options
    No that's the weird thing carbs are good for PCOS but you need to choose the right ones. Quinoa is awesome, you can even get quinoa pasta now. Also potato's, peas and amareth the list goes on and on. A really good way to describe what a PCOS diet should look like is think hunter gatherer or primal eating. Meat and what ever was grown on the land. Also the more organic produce you can get the better.
  • CagedNightingale
    Options
    Pregnitude really helps with weightloss. I lost 14lbs in the first 2 weeks of taking it. I guess it realigns the hormones which makes you loose weight. Check it out and see what you think.
  • katybateman
    Options
    i have pcos
    only got diagnosed last year
    but on a weight loss mission
    xxx
  • wiggawaggle
    wiggawaggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i have pcos and a lot of weight to lose. I'm at the heaviest i've ever been now, hoping losing some weight will bring back my periods.
  • Ash6772
    Ash6772 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive had pcos since about 15 and am also on the ttc wagon. Would like to lose about 60 pounds. add me :)
  • rake78
    rake78 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS almost ten years ago. I am still unsure about it all, but i know i need to lose weight and I am at my highest I have ever been. Feel free to add me, I am always looking for new support. I just bought a book on PCOS so hoping that will help me.