calorie counter taking over

Options
okay i'm just about over it, calorie counting is taking over my life!!!!! it's pretty much all i think about all day and night... it's driving me nuts. I keep thinking i want my life back, lol....am I the only one with this problem????? I feel like i'm busting my butt, but not seeing any results..........

Replies

• jojoribbit
    jojoribbit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ok, so i don't know if i can post this b/c i am recommending another book - but take a listen to dr. oz's book you on a diet (i read it via audio book)

he talks about letting calories overrun your life and what that can do to you on a diet...

so i'd try it. he has some very good insights into helping with plateaus and other diet killers.

good luck and keep up the good fight!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just posted a quick blog about this, my bf and I had a bit of a fight because I was obsessing too much about every little thing. I love this site, but I need to take a bit of a chill pill. I think that calorie counting is good to get an idea of what you normally eat adds up to, but once you know what certain meals are worth, I think that I will have days where I willnot log calories and still know that I did well for the day.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think the obsession dies away after you have been here for a while. The obsession helps you more aware of what you are eating. I don't think it's a bad thing. If you want this bad enough then I suggest you just keep going. This is not a diet it is a lifestyle change. The more you learn about it now the longer it will be with you (hopefully for the rest of your life).

PS if you are fighting with your bf over counting calories maybe he should be more supportive of what you are doing (my opinion only and I am not judging you just wanting to offer you encouragement) This is a difficult journey with support; I couldn't imagine trying to do it without support.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed by it too but it's become more bearable since I plan out my day in advance. I typically eat breakfast, then plan out my exercise & my food for the day. If I want something else, I simply go back to my diary and switch it out and rearrange if there are more or less calories with the new snack or meal. Since it's pre-planned, I don't have to bother other people with "how many calories is it?" I do this especially when going out because nobody wants to hear about your diet. I don't treat this as a diet because I plan on doing this forever to maintain my weight but that's how it looks to others... I hate eating with people who yammer on about they can't have this or that 'cause of their diet, and I DEFINITELY don't want to be that girl at the table, so I plan it ahead of time and no one has to worry about it. If they make a comment, I can just say, "It's healthier!"

Take heart, hon. It gets easier and it doesn't have to be such a burden!
  • Lightonmyfeet
    Options
    The same thing happened to me.
    I took a break from calorie counting and now I'm only using it to help me with portion control. It helped to eat healthy foods throughout the day until I was satisfied, and added up the calories at the end of the day.