Insanity.... Questions

Options
So hubby and I bought insanity about a year ago. It is still sealed and in the package. Im really needing to start getting serious about my health and so is he. I have 100 pounds to lose and I seem to never have much time. I have a YMCA membership but its 30 min away and in between 3 kids, 6 business', and a full time college load.... I just dont have much time to go to the Y. So we really want to open those dvds.

This brings me to my questions. I am 250...... anyone been able to do insanity at that kind of weight successfully?
Any tips?
Any body else doing/starting it willing to be an accountability partner?

Replies

• julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My partner and I are doing Insanity too and we love it! He is overweight but losing fat and inches fairly quickly. He is on week 5 and I am on week 8. It is really hard but the results are totally worth it.
    We also have two little ones at home so it makes it easier than having to go to the gym. Our oldest likes to pretend to do the workouts with us lol
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have heard Insanity is really tough to maintain everyday for beginners. Maybe try it a few days and if you feel like the same muscles are overworked try mixing it up a few days a week with jogging/ walking/ zumba etc. Youtube is full of free workout videos (love Denise Austin and Fitnessblender). I am too broke and out of shape for gyms. So far I haven't bought anything but a jump rope (borrowed 3, 5, and 8lb weights) and have gotten a pretty good start. Definitely record your fitness test results from Insanity and redo it every week to see how your strength and endurance have progressed. Love that your hubby is doing this with you!
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Insanity is really tough if you haven't done anything for a while. It is a fantastic program, your heart rate can really get high.

I think you can try it. Some suggestions though: try it every other day for a week or two; once you see how they do an exercise-go at YOUR own pace, don't try and keep up with them on screen; press pause when you need to; try your best; drink water afterwards to help your muscles recover.

If you find that you are just too winded and exhausted, stop for a bit, and try another cardio workout.

I second Amy106Days on fitnessblender.com - it's a great free online site where you can pick and choose what you want to do and when.

Also- don't forget to do some strength training. This could be in the form of bodyweight exercises like lunges, squats, pushups, planks etc...the muscle will burn more calories for you!

Good luck, and report back as to how you are doing!
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    You can do it. Just take it slow at first and go at your own pace. This is a very challenging workout for everyone no matter what their weight is. I think the key to getting through it is to take a break when needed and don't try to keep up with the people in the videos until you become more comfortable with the moves and your form is good enough.
  • LaPipebomb
    LaPipebomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Insanity is just that ... Insane. That being said, you can absolutely do it. Modify it to fit your current abilities, and keep pushing, and pushing play. The greatest thing about that program, is that it will never get easy. You are just able to push harder and harder. I've done Insanity twice, now. Feel free to message me if you like.
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    lift weights
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did it, for a few weeks... My knees are in really bad shape from when I was in the Army and my knees couldn't take the jumping... so I switched the the Slim in 6.... I also do the walk at home videos and really enjoy those....
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been exercising regularly it may be too much to take on. A great program to start out to eventually wean yourself into something like Insanity would be Jillian Michael's 90 day Total Body Revolution. It works very similar to your typical 90 days Beach Body Programs. Excepts the workouts are thirty minutes. This is what I am currently doing now...so that I can have the endurance for something like Insanity. I have about 80 pounds to lose. I know Insanity right now would KILL my right knee and my lower back.
    Good luck!
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It is very possible for you both to do it, but take it at your own pace because those crazy fit people are impossible to keep up with. Push yourself, but take it easy too. I've done two rounds of it and recently finished Asylum, and Iove this program and how it pushes you. Go for it!!
  • jessica_hart
    Options
    I just started Insanity yesterday :) The only other exercise I am doing is circuits for 20 minutes as soon as I wake up (I got the circuit exercises out of Seventeen Magazine) :) I feel so much better since I have been eating right the past couple weeks and since I have been trying to do exercise. :)