what happens when you don't get enough sodium?

Options
I seem to be very low most days. Just wondering if anyone knows what the effects are.

Replies

• tracimorris
    Options
    bump
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Not enough sodium? Good question. How the heck do you manage to do that??
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad. I usually don't have higher than 1,500mg daily. Maybe that's why I don't get as thirsty as most people haha. But other than that it hasn't been an issue. It is good to have some sodium though since you lose some via sweat/ body fluids.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The less sodium you consume, the better. :flowerforyou:
    I try to stay under 1500 a day.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    electrolyte imbalance. Remember, electrolytes are Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, and Bicarbonate.
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    Actually, I know someone who had to go to the hospital because they had what seemed to be dementia. They were hallucinating and having all sorts of issues. The dx was LOW SODIUM! :noway:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Excessively low sodium can cause an overall electrolyte imbalance in your body. At first you can get dizzy, faint, or headaches. Prolonging this, can lead to brain disorders/seizures, renal dysfunction, or cardiac abnormalities.

PS. Sodium abnormalities can also occur with water intoxication. So if you drink lots and lots of water, but do not take in enough sodium, it can occur more easily.

If you're healthy, your body should correct for low sodium intake, but beware if you start feeling faint.

*edited for typo
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Not enough sodium? Good question. How the heck do you manage to do that??
    I know, it was surprising to me. Never had a problem when I ate fast food ;)

I try to eat a lot less processed food, make from scratch, etc. I come up 1,000 short and drink a lot of water.
    I don't WANT to get a lot of sodium, but I know we need some.