Why doesn't strength training burn calories?

Options
Hi everyone,

I use an app called GainFitness to guide me through my strength training workouts, and then I go back into MyFitnessPal to manually log what I did. But for some reason, I can't get MyFitnessPal to log calories burned through strength training, even though GainFitness tracks calories burned.

Anyone know why MyFitnessPal doesn't calculate calories burned for strength training? Thanks!

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's in the cardiovascular section. 45 min of weightlifting/strength training burns 155 cals
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Too many variables. Weight, volume, different lifts, that's a lot of factors.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Got it. So if I want to log the calories, I need to log it under the cardio section?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    That's it. It will calculate the calories burned for you. Just input how long you did it for. Are the calories accurate? Probably not.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Too many variables. Weight, volume, different lifts, that's a lot of factors.

Yep...also weight training actually burns more calories AFTER you do it...you burn extra calories for 24-48 hours after a lifting session, as your body repairs and rebuilds muscle tissue. This is JUST an opinion, but I always add 300-400 extra calories when I lift...I want to fuel my training, and I workout hard. I never had a problem losing weight with this method.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your quick responses! I'm new to all of this - (serious) dieting, strength training, etc. This was really helpful!