non gimmicky cleanse?

Options
Does anyone know a non gimmicky cleanse out there? I wanted to clear my system of toxins from processed foods. I don't want to do any of those fasting, celebrity cleanses. Just want something that is healthy and green. I watched this awesome documentary called "Hungry For Change" and it mentioned cleansing as a great start to a new lifestyle. Can anyone help/give advice with this topic?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are, by their nature, gimmicks.

1) The food you would like to cleanse has already long since been digested and passed. You can't cleanse poop that you've already pooped out.

2) Your digestive system was specifically created to cleanse your system. It's a brilliant mechanism and you don't have to do a thing to keep it going.

3) No system as of yet that I know of has been able to name even one toxin that they are claiming to flush out. If they can't tell you, specifically, how the product works - it's a gimmick.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about cleanses. The only one I have ever liked the look of is the Blessed Herbs one.

I have tried juice cleansed before and it was the worst thing I had ever done. It aggravated my IBS terribly and it took me about 3 months to get back to normal.
  • shan056
    shan056 Posts: 41
    Options
    Not too sure about cleanses. The only one I have ever liked the look of is the Blessed Herbs one.

I have tried juice cleansed before and it was the worst thing I had ever done. It aggravated my IBS terribly and it took me about 3 months to get back to normal.

Good advice...Thanks. Hope you are feeling better now?
  • shan056
    Options
    Cleanses are, by their nature, gimmicks.

1) The food you would like to cleanse has already long since been digested and passed. You can't cleanse poop that you've already pooped out.

2) Your digestive system was specifically created to cleanse your system. It's a brilliant mechanism and you don't have to do a thing to keep it going.

3) No system as of yet that I know of has been able to name even one toxin that they are claiming to flush out. If they can't tell you, specifically, how the product works - it's a gimmick.

Well put. I can't not like a post that is revolved around poop! Thanks for the advice. I personally never considered a cleanse before until I watched "Hungry For Change". It posed a pretty believable argument for them. But, now I am second guessing it. Thanks again.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Mg citrate will clean you out pretty good.
  • shan056
    Options
    I am re-watching it and am realizing it is a detox program that they discuss not a cleanse....any difference?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    All cleanses and detoxes are gimmicks. Eat a balanced, healthy diet. Your body will take care of the rest.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    All cleanses and detoxes are gimmicks. Eat a balanced, healthy diet. Your body will take care of the rest.

THIS ^^^
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Seriously. This.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Good advice...Thanks. Hope you are feeling better now?

Yes thanks hun. It was about 2 years ago I did it. I still have IBS but I am managing it through a wheat and gluten free diet. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    there is always a bottle of exlax...talk about pooping...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Mg citrate will clean you out pretty good.

That it does. I am glad my NEXT colonoscopy isn't for three more years.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat less + exercise more = no cleanse
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Seriously, this is the truth.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you feel like a need for a 'cleanse' to kickstart a new lifestyle, I'd say calculate your TDEE - 20% for your caloric goals and fill your calories with non-processed foods! Eat super healthy and cook everything yourself as much as possible! That would suffice as a 'cleanse' from your processed foods! Do it for a few days and I'm pretty sure you'll notice a difference in some way!
    But then again, there is really no need to go cold turkey on ANY foods be it processed or not, as long as you stick to your caloric goals! Of course eating healthy as much as possible is best for your health but you should also be planning your meals so that you're still happy and staying sane haha.

Going cold turkey on processed foods for a while is very much encouraged though if you're having problems with binging or overeating on processed foods!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

This is what I was going to say but the gentleman above beat me (and others) to it.
    Eat a healthy balanced calorie controlled diet, regular high-intensity exercise, regular good quality sleep and maintain important relationships.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben