Sit ups cause back pain, anyone else suffer the same?

nicolanicola
nicolanicola Posts: 23
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
After about 6 or 7 sit-ups, I get this pain in the middle of my back, not like a sharp pain, but like a big circular pain that's sore, spreads from like below my shoulder blades outwards and I have to lie down to make the pain stop. It stops about 1 or 2 seconds after I lay back down again, it recedes bit by bit, I feel it leaving.

This really annoys me because it prevents me from doing abdominal workouts. I want to improve on my abs and tummy but have a sore back. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have been to docs about it but they cannot offer any reason why it would hurt.

Replies

• wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Try placing a pillow behind your back or doing situps on a bed or couch. This has helped me with my back pain as well as my husband.
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    I use an exercise ball.. it really helps me!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Most of the time when people think of core, they think abs. However, your core is made up of both your back and abs. If your lower back is weak as well as your abs, this can happen. Try looking up "supermans" or "swimmer" that work on back. They are like reverse crunches so strengthen your back. Using the stability ball can also help.

Good Luck.
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    I like standing ab work so much better. Check out Turbo Jam for the positions. The starting position is always tail tucked under, abs tight, and back straight as if you're standing on a wall. You are also in a slight squat, so you're working thighs and butt as a bonus. All the exercises are done with your abs engaged, so even though they are not specifically ab moves, you are still working them hard. My favorite is the "wheel" - maybe you can find a demo on youtube or some posts online.

Have you tried Pilates? If you go at your own comfort level, maybe you won't be putting so much strain/pressure/whatever it is that hurts your back. Good luck!
  • ctorrence
    ctorrence Posts: 12
    OMG totally! I refuse, I feel like my spine sticks out too much :laugh: So I do "core" exercises instead.

Lying on my back, knees bent, stretch out my arms towards my knee caps then lift, until my finger tips touch my knees. 20-30 reps times 3.

I also like Plank exercises and Pilates.
  • Thank you people for the advice. I'm off to bed now, got a bbq tomorrow a long drive away, but I'll be sure to check out the exercises you all suggested. Many thanks xxx
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Sit ups kill my back but I am able to do them on the ball! The ball was alittle wobbly at first but I gained alot of balance very quickleyll Good luck!
  • Hi from a newbie...I joined a few days ago.... this is my first posting...

My answer to back pain: BIKRAM YOGA!!!!!! I SWEAR BY IT!!!! :happy: Yoga also helps with 'core'...

I've suffered lower back pain since teenager-hood and tend to slouch when sitting in chairs as a result and about 10 years ago had a car go in the back of mine resulting in re-occurring pain and lockups in shoulder/neck area.

A few weeks ago I started Bikram Yoga (also known as 'hot room' yoga). The room is 37degrees C which allows muscles to relax and you are able to stretch your body really well. Just before I started Bikram, I had a major lockup in my RHS neck/shoulder and was hooked up to a 10s machine at almost every opportunity I had. After my first session, I gave the 10s machine up and I haven't looked back....I might add at this point I am quite fit so was lucky that it only took 1 session to provide results - sometimes it can take people many weeks to release their pain...

I know Bikram yoga might be hard to find in some areas, but if you find one near you - DO IT!! :bigsmile:

Good Luck - hope someone can provide you with a solution you are looking for.
This discussion has been closed.