What do you eat for snacks?

Options
melodyg
melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
I am looking for healthy snack ideas. I am trying to eat (mostly) unprocessed foods (or at least not things like granola bars!). I am also working on a really limited budget! I keep running out of snacks and ideas! I also keep really working to get to my daily calorie goal (currently 1650 + whatever I can eat from exercise) and want to increase exercise intensity at some point and eat some of those calories too.

Here is what I am currently snacking on most days -- not all every day, but some combination of what I am listing:

Fruit -- apples, pears, bananas, strawberries (plus whatever is on sale that I like!)
Lowfat cottage cheese
Vanilla yogurt or frozen yogurt when I have it on hand (yum!)
Peanut butter or 2% cheese (usually with fruit -- I'm trying to make sure I have some protein with carbs)
Almonds
Raw Veggies (whatever I have on hand -- squash, carrots... cucumber and tomatoes are my favorite!)
Tomatoes with olive oil (as soon as homegrown tomatoes are here!)

Anything I'm just not thinking of? I've thought of hummus to dip veggies in... just haven't bought or made some yet.

Replies

• AlisonJMWhite
    Options
    Hi,

It sounds like you have some good snack ideas already, I hadnt thought of Tomatoes in olive oil and it sounds lovely so I will add that to my list.

The only other thing I can think of are oatcakes. The cheesy Nairns ones are really nice - and go very well with humous and a great alternative to bread. They are low GI too. Seeds too are a good and health snack - i find them easy to dip into when I am at work although you dont need many... they do seem to keep the hunger at bay.

The other thing you may already know about is ensuring you are well watered! Sometimes we mistake our feelings of thirst for hunger and once we have a drink the hunger pangs die down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Ali :-)
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I really like gluten free rice cakes. Yoru list was pretty good. :-)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Just to add to your fruits, cantaloupe and watermelon are in season right now and relatively cheap! And so are blueberries :)

I really enjoy Wasa crispbread (2 of them) with 1 tbsp unsalted natural peanut butter. It's filling and usually my last snack of the day to prevent me from eating at night ;)

Greek yogurt. I don't like plain, but I mix some berries into the 6 oz vanilla or have one of the non-fat fruit flavours.
  • melodyg
    Options
    Wow, I went a little exclamation point crazy in my original post. :)

Thanks for the ideas for far. I didn't like Greek yogurt the first time I tried it but I am sure it would be great in smoothie form.

I also did a little searching around and can't believe that I forgot about popcorn!
  • Bratkins
    Bratkins Posts: 47
    Options
    I put laughing cow cheese wedges on celery sticks or red bell peppers. Its low cal and actually really good!
  • mrspyle
    mrspyle Posts: 19
    Options
    Veggies are always cheap, especially at local markets, i love homemade hummus (chickpeas, a little olive oil, basil, garlic, roasted tomatoes, and a little onion, blended) which makes a lot, and a great dip for any kind of bell peppers, grilled fruit kabobs are super yummy; i use banana, pineapple, and peach when ripe; And cold bean salad; edemame, kidney beans, chopped bell pepper, with rice wine vinegar and green onion...soooo yummy.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    bumping for later there's some good ideas on here! :happy:
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Greek yogurt with pineapple chunks or honey is a great combo. There are a lot of foods I used to dislike that I absolutely adore now that I've stayed away from the yucky stuff for long enough and my palate has "healed" so to speak I guess.

Everything that I eat that isn't on your list is somewhat processed. I get a few crunchy "chip" type options from trader joe's like veggie crisps and jalapeno cheddar crunchies, and I eat beef/buffalo jerkies (but they're high in sodium so not often.) But mostly I just eat cottage cheese with cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions diced up and mixed in. Have you tried rice vinegar with cucumber and onions with a little honey? Very tasty!

I also keep grapes (frozen), apricots, bananas and blackberries.
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    I loved the idea of tomatos and olive oil. Now I can't wait for a plants to be ready!! Thanks!! I alwasy keep raw almonds on hand and break them into small baggies for a serving size or else I will eat every last one! I also do the laughing cow cheese or babybel cheese.
  • nroesler
    nroesler Posts: 81
    Options
    I am on a smoothie kick recently, made with apple sauce or low fat yogurt (or the greek someone was mentioning earlier) or even cottage cheese. Frozen or fresh fruit (ususally a combination of the two) can be anything I have on hand - bananas, berries, whatever!

This is a slightly larger snack and will hold you over longer, for me I make a big one for breakfast and take it to go, but you can make as small a batch as possible.

Everyone has such great ideas!!
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Those sound like good healthy snacks! I made vegetable dip with fage plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese and some hidden valley ranch dip mix. Sometimes I add some shredded parmesan cheese. It's pretty good. A peanut butter sandwich with blueberries or sliced strawberries on it instead of jelly, on a thin multigrain bun is also a filling snack. And soup with extra added vegetables or black beans.
  • mom2boyzinaz
    Options
    almonds or other nuts but can be expenisive sometimes
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I've been eating lots of fruit lately. I like taking a frozen banana (peel and cut before freezing) and blending it ... the best pseudo-ice cream ever! ... ran out today :grumble:.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Hummus is AWESOME. My fave is Pita Pal Basil and Sun-Dried Tomato. That stuff is SOOOO tasty, and Pita Pal is the lowest sodium hummus I've found.

Try this: Fiesta Lime Cucumbers

Chop up a bunch of cucumber. Dust it with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime (it's the one with the lime green lid). Add a Tbsp of your favorite vinegar. Optionally, you might add a small sprinkle of salt, but you don't NEED it. Put in a zip baggie and shake. OH YUM...
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hummus is AWESOME. My fave is Pita Pal Basil and Sun-Dried Tomato. That stuff is SOOOO tasty, and Pita Pal is the lowest sodium hummus I've found.

Chop up a bunch of cucumber. Dust it with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime (it's the one with the lime green lid). Add a Tbsp of your favorite vinegar. Optionally, you might add a small sprinkle of salt, but you don't NEED it. Put in a zip baggie and shake. OH YUM...

OMG that sounds so goood
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options

OMG that sounds so goood

Thanks! It was. Very tangy, and I LOVE tangy. :love:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Here in Florida so much is in season. We have watermelon, cantalopes, tomatoes, corn on the cob. I'm in fruit and veggie heaven. Oh, also that new one ingredient banana ice cream is a new favorite.
  • melodyg
    Options

This sounds GREAT! You should post on the recipe board if you haven't already.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options

This sounds GREAT! You should post on the recipe board if you haven't already.

I might do that! Oh, and check out my blog for today. :happy: