Has anyone gotten heartburn relief from losing weight?

Options
I'm interested in hearing if anyone's heartburn or GERD has gotten less since they have lost weight, or generally eaten smaller portions. My heartburn Dr. said if I lose around 20-40 lbs. my heartburn should reduce significantly. I would love to hear some encouraging stories. Thanks

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My husband has suffered from chronic heartburn in all the 12 years that I've known him.

He started WW back in January. He's lost 13 lbs so far and has NO HEARTBURN WHATSOEVER.

I don't think it's so much the weight loss as it is the change in diet. He said he felt relief after the first week.
  • sidonieaten
    sidonieaten Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not sure about heartburn but reflux was gone after six pounds!
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    Yep, pretty much gone.. I thought I was having a heart attack and it was really bad heart burn in Nov 2011. Went on OTC heartburn medication for about 6 months. Started eating healthier in Feb 2012. Now I hardly eat fried foods, and unless I eat a very heavy meal close to bedtime, no more heartburn.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Heartburn way reduced! But, it's weight and diet related. At the start I had to take my Zantac twice a day. 45 pounds later I only take it in the morning. Except when I was on vacation. Two days in I was back to twice a day. Too much food/alcohol.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    yes, was on Prilosec and and ate a bottle of tums a month before I lost.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from acid reflux disease since I was a teenager. I've always been somewhere in the neighborhood of a healthy weight, so I'm not sure if weight has an effect. From my experience, it has more to do with the type of food you eat. For me the big triggers are fried food, refined white carbs and chocolate. The rule of thumb for me is that the more processed it is the more heartburn I get. This is not always true, but mostly.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    The first ten pounds did the trick for me - I've had no issue since.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 4-8 tums a day before my weight loss. I have not taken one since sometime in December! So, yes I would say weight loss has given me relief!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I did, but it wasn't just from losing weight, it changed drastically when I cut out grains (wheat, corn, oats, barley, etc)! Those "healthy" whole grains take longer to digest and thus produce a lot of acid.....worth researching!
  • StaycJulia
    Options
    Absolutely. After I lost baout 40 pounds I noticed I no longer had acid reflux and heartburn.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Neither my husband or I have had heartburn once since we started losing weight about a year ago.
  • joshmcnelly3
    Options
    It's been incredible. Eating better has made my heartburn disappear. Love it love it love it!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    YES
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Same here. Losing the weight put an end to many years of chronic heartburn, as well as a developing problem with sleep apnea.
  • upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping a bit of weight loss will do the trick for me too. I've been on RX Omeprozole (Prilosec) for atleast 5 years. This posting has been very encouraging!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the weight loss or the change in my diet, but I don't have it anymore.
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from heartburm for a very long time, your DR is right if you lose the weight and change your eating habbits the heartburn n reflux will lesson...I do feel so much better without the heartburn but I still have to watch certain foods that I know does give me heartburn, but for the most part I really don't have it anymore I feel if I continue to lose the weight I will no longer have it! good luck!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure if it's from the weight loss (heartburn went away entirely with about 30-40 lbs. lost, weight about 175) or from eliminating wheat and other grains from my diet, or a combination of the two. I was taking omeprazole AND ranitidine at one point to keep it under control.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I suffer from GERD and I haven't noticed any change In symptoms since taking on a healthier lifestyle. I take a medication for it every morning and I still get symptoms at least once a day.

Happy for all of you that have gotten better though! :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, but like a couple posters above, I'm not sure if its because I lost weight or because I don't eat the crap that gave me troubles (or not very often). It may be a combo. I've had heartburn twice in the last year-once when I was having holiday goodies a little too much, and once more recently for no reason that I can discern. I used to have symptoms daily-kind of all day.