MYTH: Starvation & Weight Loss

Options
I've heard that when you're dieting and you find yourself super hungry where you feel like you could eat anything in sight, that your body is about to lose weight in the next day or so.

Is this true or not?

I've had a day where I'm just really hungry even after eating nearly 100 grams of protein, drinking lots of water, AND taking an appetite suppressant.

What do I do?? My stomach is GROWLING and I've gone over on my calories already today! So frustrating!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've heard that when you're dieting and you find yourself super hungry where you feel like you could eat anything in sight, that your body is about to lose weight in the next day or so.

Is this true or not?

I've had a day where I'm just really hungry even after eating nearly 100 grams of protein, drinking lots of water, AND taking an appetite suppressant.

What do I do?? My stomach is GROWLING and I've gone over on my calories already today! So frustrating!

Weight loss is governed by a net caloric deficit

Maybe try eating more, I have no idea on your height and weight but it's likely you can eat more than 1288 cals and still lose at a decent clip
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Agreed. MFP sets a lot of us at 1200 calories a day as standard when, in fact, we can eat more and still lose weight. I'm eating 400 calories more (so around 1600 net) than when I started on MFP and I'm now losing more weight (and don't have a growling stomach!).

Great explanation of how you can set your own calorie goals here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • nation001
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8784JC75Zbw

Try watching this youtube for advice on eating the right foods.:smile:
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    hang in there, today is almost over, and tomorrow is another day. think about how good you will feel when you wake up in the morning after a day of healthy eating.... or how bad you will feel if you ruin it after doing so well for almost a whole day...
  • bethkrusac
    bethkrusac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5'4" and about 183...embarassingly fat for myself.

Thanks for the input, though. I'll look into it.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving, too! Read up a little on TDEE and BMR- you can probably eat more than you think!
  • meau67
    meau67 Posts: 6
    Options
    When you've been significantly overweight, you produce a hunger hormone that sends faulty signals. If you know you have eaten enough, you have to learn to ignore it. It's a brutal beast, and it can be triggered by a drop in weight. If you don't want to be hungry at certain times, like later at night, save some calories for then, but don't be surprised if it doesn't "feel" like you've eaten. Training your body that enough is enough is a long road.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    also - remember that really veggies are 'free' foods. You cant hurt yourself if you eat a handful of carrots or pepper slices. I also agree that most women need to be eating more calories than the "magical" 1200 so many think is the right number. Especially if you are exercising...deff do some research and educate yourself. Make sure you are eating enough protein too-it stays with you longer ! Hang in there - and in answer to your original question, I never heard that ?
  • bethkrusac
    Options
    Haha, yeah I've heard it a lot, but it didn't make sense to me.

My doctor told me to eat 1200-1300 calories a day with 80-100 grams of protein. Today, I had 97 grams of protein and ate back all my calories burned off in exercise with a total of 1288 in calories. I've lost a net of 3 pounds in one month following my doctor's orders. I'm just starting to feel discouraged.

I know that none of us are doctors, but I'm starting to think that what he told me won't work for me. I'm just getting really discouraged. Every time I'm on MFP, this happens and it never ends up working.

Should I eat more calories? My BMR is a little more than 1600, should I eat closer to that?
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In your "about me" section you mentioned a hyroid issue and another diet issue. Make sure to get some support from people that can factor in those details. There is a group on MFP for thyroid issues. Make sure your eating enough per your workouts. I under ate and know I am going to pay for it.
  • Rgtjax85
    Options
    According to MFP my BMR is 1700 but because of my lifestyle I need to bring in 2200. I do not know enough about thyroid issues to say your best option but if you are not eating enough your body will maintain the weight because it is tricked into thinking that you need the weight to accomplish your goals.
  • bethkrusac
    Options
    Thank you! My thyroid numbers are normal, but just barely, so I'm only only a very small dose of medication. I'm thinking I need to be eating more in order to lose weight, though.
  • Rgtjax85
    Options
    Thank you! My thyroid numbers are normal, but just barely, so I'm only only a very small dose of medication. I'm thinking I need to be eating more in order to lose weight, though.

I tend to agree. The good thing is you are disciplined. You did good according to todays diary.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    pony-this-thread-again-320.png
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5'4" and about 183...embarassingly fat for myself.

Thanks for the input, though. I'll look into it.

I'm the same height as you.. and I'm 206 lbs and eat 1800-2000 calories per day. I've lost 90 lbs so far. So it IS possible to eat more and still have weight loss without feeling hungry. I was plateaued for a good 8 months trying to eat 1200-1300 calories per day. I was miserable, never felt like working out as often, and ended up having those days where I wanted to eat everything in sight. That was just my body trying to accommodate for too large of a calorie deficit. Now that I eat more, I don't have as many days like that and have tons more energy to workout more often. I eat more, but still below maintenance range.

If you're hungry, eat.. as long as you have a slight deficit, it's still progress. :)
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

Is this true or not?

Or it could mean you are PMSing or ovulating. Hunger is based on hormones.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

My doctor told me to eat 1200-1300 calories a day with 80-100 grams of protein. Today, I had 97 grams of protein and ate back all my calories burned off in exercise with a total of 1288 in calories. I've lost a net of 3 pounds in one month following my doctor's orders. I'm just starting to feel discouraged.

I know that none of us are doctors, but I'm starting to think that what he told me won't work for me. I'm just getting really discouraged. Every time I'm on MFP, this happens and it never ends up working.

Should I eat more calories? My BMR is a little more than 1600, should I eat closer to that?

I've always, always been told to NEVER eat below your BMR. You want to eat above BMR, yet still below your total daily energy expenditure/maintenance. For example, my BMR is 1770. That is what my body burns for basic functions even if I laid in bed all day. On a fairly sedentary day around the house/driving I still burn 2100. That is not including my regular workouts. I had a horrible time trying to lose on 1200-1300 calories per day. I tried increasing my calories after reading some of the "eat more to lose more threads" - check them out! After about 3 weeks I broke my plateau by eating 2000 a day! It's crazy! There's lots of threads on it.

If your BMR is 1600, I'd personally be eating at least that if I were you. If you workout regularly, maybe a little extra. It'll take time for your body to adjust to the increase, but for me after 3 weeks I started slowly losing about 1 lb per week again. It's slow, but it's realistic and gives me more energy.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I would try eating closer to your BMR. You might want to increase calories 100 or so at a time and see how it goes. I can't promise you will lose weight faster, but you should still lose, and you may not be as hungry. I would give it a go.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Agreed. MFP sets a lot of us at 1200 calories a day as standard when, in fact, we can eat more and still lose weight. I'm eating 400 calories more (so around 1600 net) than when I started on MFP and I'm now losing more weight (and don't have a growling stomach!).

Great explanation of how you can set your own calorie goals here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

This. Eat more.