What is your favorite pre/post workout meal?

Options
Hey gang, thought I would ask what everyone likes to eat before a nice long workout. I do 90min of cardio in the gym and on nice days out 1-2 hrs of road cycling. I usually start with a pre-workout meal of 3/4 cup of oatmeal with blueberries however that can get old. I'm looking for some new ideas. Any suggestions? What are some of your favorites out there in MFP land? Thanks in advance for the advice you guys are GREAT!

Santos

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Pre workout:
    Either some fruit and whey protein
    (or I train on just black coffee)

Post workout:
    Anything that has carbs, protein and fat

It will vary on what your goals are, your level of conditioning and level of experience. But very generally, it doesn't really matter as long as your performance is good and you are getting enough calories to fuel your workout. Mix it up, variety is a key element in staying committed.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I work out after dinner, so that's a nice balanced preworkout meal (not a lot of starches)

Post workout I have to have my protein shake with a banana for potassium plus a calcium mag supplement. I SWEAR this prevents soreness the next day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Preworkout: 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup milk, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, a little cinnamon. Give me plenty of energy to power through a strong workout and have balanced macros.

I don't do anything specific post workout. Just eat my next meal when it's time.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pre: banana
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    pre: 1 egg, 1T nut butter, (sun butter or almond)

post: 2 eggs, 3 bacon, 2 cups bok choy, 1/2 beet, 1 cup spaghetti squash, coconut oil.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    whey protein
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    pre-work out is coffee.

post work out is coffee.

i like coffee.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    pre-workout - a piece of fruit or a protein bar (I love think thin bars or quest bars)

post-workout - a protein shake or a piece of fruit.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    pre- eggs and oats,
    post. lots of chicken and potatoes
  • apstemrich
    Options
    Pre workout: Whole grain toast with butter and jelly

Post workout: SMOOTHIE TIME (banana, berries, apple, grapes, etc.. with Vanilla Soymilk) mmmm Im totally addicted to these fresh fruit smoothies!!
    Anyone out there recomend a good shake mix to use thats low cal and isnt super expensive?
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Pre- a light dinner or lunch depending on time of day
    Post workout apple slices and peanut butter
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I work out after dinner, so my pre varies. Today it is steak, baked potato, broccoli and salad.
    Post is greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit, a protein shake, dark chocolate milk, or sometimes (gasp) ice cream or a pizza pop.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    cheese, fruit, and almonds :) That bistro box from Starbucks is one of my favorite things
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Pre: coffee and peanut butter toast.

Sometimes there are bananas involved.
  • FitnessLondon2013
    Options
    Pre workout:-

4 pop tarts, 100 gram oatmeal with almond milk & a banana

Post workout:-

250 grams of lean minced beef, Ben & Jerrys ice cream, peanut butter jelly sandwich and a avocado. Yum.