Injury - Nervous About Restart

Options
kel7298
kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
I hurt my shoulder/back a couple weeks ago lifting weights. The pain is gone but I am seriously scared to restart. I love lifting (well used too) and seem to be making or finding every excuse in the book not to resume. The pain was intense but I think more than that, I wasn't even lifting to my max. I need to pull up my big girl pants and just do it! I am such a wuss!

Replies

• haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Before you do, have you addressed whatever caused the injury to start with? Do you have someone to check your form? Do you need to make changes to your lifting schedule? Increase stretching and warmup?
  • kel7298
    Options
    Very good questions! Honestly my schedule might have come into play.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Could you not try with lighter weights first? That way, if there is a problem you won't do any major damage.
  • kel7298
    Options
    I was actually lifting rather light..well lighter than I usually do.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I can imagine how you feel - I would definately get someone to check your form - even just for your own peace of mind, Good luck!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you can pull a muscle mopping the floor or turning your head, or anything. Having done Chalean twice, I'm sure your form is pretty damn good. So I would go for as long you are sure you are fully recovered. Did you see a PT?
  • kel7298
    Options
    No I never did as it got better with every passing day. Maybe I will just wait another week. Lol..see there I go again.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with the checking your form idea. Your gym should have trainers available to help with that, it is part of their job.