ALL HRM USERS QUESTION ...all caps I know I know

Options
I am pretty sure my Polar FT7 is not working correctly... today in spin it said I burned 189 calories...
here are the reasons I am positive this is WRONG:

* I weigh 208lbs
*It's an hour class where my heart rate remained between 148-170 BPM
* I took a yoga class yesterday where I burned over 300 cals
* On my Friday spin class I burned 639...

I can't imagine I've gotten amazingly fit in the course of three days that I would only burn 189 cals in a vigorous class...

Anybody here had a similar experience? What did you do? I plan on tightening my chest strap, and I already washed it by hand... hopefully this will solve the problem, but I am simply lost with out my HRM !!

HELP PLEASE!!

c

Replies

• BUMP
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    From what I've read wonky results usually mean it needs a good cleaning or a new battery.
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Are you actively checking out your HR while working out (I tend to look at it often)? I suspect you are loosing the connection between the strap and transmitter at certain points during your workout. Also, are you wetting the strap enough prior to your work? Good luck!
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    How long have you had it? Could the batteries be low?

(thanks for the reminder to clean my ft40).
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    If you have a watch that gives a calorie burn rate , I have a question for you.Did you put in your stats, age, height, weight? If you left factory settings that might be part of the problem.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I get weird readings if the strap isn't clean enough.
  • Hi all

So I'm going to try to answer all your q's ... my stats are good , I changed them successfully after opening the package for the first time and have been using it consistently for about two months.
    I've had it for two months use it about 5-6 days a week... I hope the battery isn't running low already...
    I washed it as soon as I got home...

I don't think it's disconnecting during workouts because when I checked the "data files" afterwards it recorded that I was working for a little over an hour, and it told me my HR was between 148-170 during that hour...
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine last Tuesday and mine isnt working correctly. It doesn't start going until 10 to 15 minutes in. Trying to figure out my issues also. I am doing insanity and its way lower than other people who are also doing insanity. BOOOOO
  • Oh and I am wetting the strap each time I use it
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Mine was doing this (I have a Polar Ft4), and it ended up being the band. I had bought the same model for my mother, and one day decided to switch out a piece at a time for a small workout to see which combo worked and what the common denominator was for the problem. Washing the band isn't really working for me; it'll work for one workout and then start glitching again, telling me that it can't read my heart rate or just freezing on a number despite a vigorous boost in activity. I'm getting a HRM (same model) to replace the band. :frown:

All the same, batteries aren't very expensive. Mine takes 1632 Lithium watch batteries, and they're at Radioshack in packs of 3 for about $12 or so. Not a bad investment for the watch. *shrug*
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just started having problems with mine doing the same thing. I did notice that my bra was folding up under the strap so I made sure I used a different bra and I still had problems today. Tomorrow I will make sure the strap is clean and wet before class. Hopefully it will work and I will get a correct reading.
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also weigh 208 and i'm 5'5 ...I use a polar FT4 HRM and did walk/runs on the treadmill tonight. I burned 401 calories in 45 minutes. My HR stays between 140 & 175 depending on how hard I'm pushing myself. I put electrode gel on the band before each workout & wash the band with soap & water and dry it in between each use. This is very important. I'm assuring proper connection & preventing any residue buildup. Also, check your settings to make sure your weight & height are accurate. HRM really are only accurate for cardio (not meant for strength training). If your still not getting accurate readings after all that, switch the battery - buy a new band on amazon, and last resort contact the company.

Here is the gel I use if anyone wants that info. The bottles are HUGE. One will last me probably a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
  • BUMPING FOR MORE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

thanks everyone!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Maybe you go a sub-standard HRM - faulty maufacturer issue. Call Polar and ask them to replace it.
  • I also weigh 208 and i'm 5'5 ...I use a polar FT4 HRM and did walk/runs on the treadmill tonight. I burned 401 calories in 45 minutes. My HR stays between 140 & 175 depending on how hard I'm pushing myself. I put electrode gel on the band before each workout & wash the band with soap & water and dry it in between each use. This is very important. I'm assuring proper connection & preventing any residue buildup. Also, check your settings to make sure your weight & height are accurate. HRM really are only accurate for cardio (not meant for strength training). If your still not getting accurate readings after all that, switch the battery - buy a new band on amazon, and last resort contact the company.

Here is the gel I use if anyone wants that info. The bottles are HUGE. One will last me probably a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Very helpful thanks!! I might buy that electrode gel... does it work on the soft straps? I know some straps have metal on the inside that need electrode gel ...will the electrode gel ruin my soft sensor strap??? I agree I don't use it during strength training unless it's a body pump class which emphasizes both cardio and resistance training.... free weights machines etc I don't rely on the HRM because I've also read that it will give an incorrect #. I used it during yoga just to give myself a rough estimate of what a class would burn.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a HRM (same model) to replace the band. :frown:

Don't buy a whole new HRM -- unless you are getting a super killer deal. You can get a replacement band from Amazon for less than $20.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-WearLink-Replacement-Strap-Medium-XX-Large/dp/B000F7F64I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363055733&sr=8-3&keywords=Polar+wearlink
  • 608peg
    608peg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem with my HRM not reading heart rate..wet the strap mutiple times; adjusted strap; washed it many different ways and read everything on it I could find and it still didn't work most of the time. Did not change batteries as it says it is suppose to tell you when battery is low.

Finally contacted Polar and they were extremely helpful..helped me to get a form filled out and send it in for repair. Mine was about 8 mths old.Polar was really great to work with..I ended up with batteries changed in watch and sensor and my strap was replaced at no charge.

My advise if no luck getting to work right contact Polar!!!
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    That's way off...I've only had a few instances where my Polar Ft4 HM stopped working in the middle of a workout. I tightened the strap and it has worked every since..I still think the calories burned on these HRM are low even when working right. How low. Not sure. But they are called Heart Rate Monitors for a reason..
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the soft strap too. You can buy a new one for pretty cheap but make sure you wash it! If you haven't been doing that then most likely that's your issue. Says on the directions and care tags that you need to wash it. You can even throw it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle (but never ever the dryer - you gotta air dry it. )
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Three things I did once I noticed my Polar FT40 started acting wonky after a year of daily use:

1) Replaced battery
    2) Recalibrated (fitness test)
    3) Bought a new strap (which appears to have a wider electrode strip than my old one)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XCLU66/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_dp_1