Canadian Newbie :)

Options
sd0104
sd0104 Posts: 40 Member
Hi all,

I found this website by accident...and I'm glad I did. I didn't realize how many calories I was eating until now. AMAZING...the food diary really highlights how many extra calories I consume!

Anyway - any advice/support etc would be more then welcome!!

--Steph

Replies

• Quadzilla4425
    Options
    Hello and welcome. If after you review my profile and would like to add me please do. I can be quite motivational and funny. Either way all the best and have a great night
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Welcome Eh!
    Albertan here :smile:
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey Canadian newbie....I am a transplanted Canadian, living in Idaho now. I really like this website, it has helped me a lot.
  • deemoore51
    Options
    Hi Welcome!!
    I just joined this site March 1st & I live in Ontario:) I too was shocked the portions Ive been consuming:( Good luck & hope to hear from you!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I found this website by accident...and I'm glad I did. I didn't realize how many calories I was eating until now. AMAZING...the food diary really highlights how many extra calories I consume!

Anyway - any advice/support etc would be more then welcome!!

--Steph

Hello fellow Canadian! I'd like to start off by saying it isn't highlighting the extra calories consumed unless you have it set up that way. If you went with MFP recommendations it highlights a somewhat random number somewhere below your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Basically it'll take off 500 calories every day for every pound you work to lose a week. You should still lose weight even if you are in the red to a point. To learn more information on how to calculate numbers for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate <-to run your organs, far below your energy expenditure
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation <- to get about your TDEE. Keep in mind a job on your feet like waitressing etc would burn much more then a computer desk nerd like me.

My best advice I could ever offer anyone would be don't do what I did. Don't sit on your bum and cut calories and lose all your muscle mass and become a boney squishy blob. I've recently started picking up weights and feel stronger then I did when I was a teenager, and much firmer then when I lost all my weight except now I'm stuck with no muscle mass. I highly recommend starting it at the beginning of your journey when you have muscle to work on. Do some reading, the hulking up thing is a myth, I definitely do not consider myself a hulk.
  • Ssand_257
    Ssand_257 Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! It's always great to see some fellow Canadians on here, born and bred Albertan right here!

Feel free to add me, I love provide motivation and support to people and am always looking for some new friends (this offer is open to everyone!)

Good luck on your MFP journey!!
  • WannaBeFitJean
    WannaBeFitJean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I am also Canadian in the windsor area... Glad you decided to join! MFP is great... there is a great community here that are always willing to give advice and support, I love this site since I stared 20 days ago.
    Feel free to add me.... or anyone else =)

Good luck on your journey!!!
  • losethewaist
    losethewaist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Steph,

I'm also a Canadian newbie. I've been on MFP a few days now. Feel free to add me!
  • ProjectHappyHealthy
    ProjectHappyHealthy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!
    I'm also relatively new to this site, and would love to make some friends to help keep me motivated (and vice versa!). If anyone is interested please feel free to add me :)
    Looking forward to "meeting" you!
    Liz