What am I doing wrong??

Options
2»

Replies

• diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You didnt put all the weight on in a month - why expect to lose it in that time.

Keep going slow and steady.
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    4kgs in 6 weeks is about spot on! Keep on with your good work.
    this! :flowerforyou:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more..if you are doing that much exercise you need to support your body and feed it.

Patience.
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    Ummm.. you've lost 4kgs in a month, that's fantastic! But I have to say 1200 cals is very little, i did this awhile ago and suffered, almost fainting in classes at the gym, hair falling out in copious amounts, moodiness, dizziness, extreme exhaustion just to name a few.
    Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ this will give you a better number to eat at. This is a change that needs to be sustainable for life not just until we lose the weight.
    Goodluck.
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more..if you are doing that much exercise you need to support your body and feed it.

Patience.

THIS.

I'm still falling off the wagon repeatedly, your loss so far is great (Hi up there in Far NQ - I'm in Sydney) I have not worked out all the numbers referred to here, but don't let them scare you off. I go with the MFP guidelines - set to sedentary and 2lb (1kg) a week and then log all my exercise, and eat it back if I'm hungry. If you have a smartphone, i highly recommend the app, I think I would be lost without it. I also use runtastic pedometer which can be sync'd with your MFP account and log your exercise for you. Feel free to add me if you'd like to. Not only CAN you do this: You already are! Keep it up!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well done on your losses so far. :flowerforyou:

In terms of weight loss, shows like "the biggest loser" give people unrealistic expectations of how quickly people can lose weight. For a start, a "week" on the show is not a week in reality, plus they do things like dehydrating themselves before weigh ins, to make the numbers look more impressive.

Fat is gained slowly, and lost slowly. It's extremely difficult to burn more than 2lb/1kg of fat in a week. There are some exceptions to this, e.g. people who are extremely obese, or people who run marathons, but as a general rule, you can't burn fat very quickly. Big drops in scale weight in a short time are usually water weight losses, and also in some circumstances scale weight loss can include lean tissue like muscle and bone density, which is not good for health. It's important to switch from thinking "I want to lose as much weight as I can as quickly as I can" - to "I want to lose pure fat, and do it sustainably, so when it's gone, it's gone forever" - i.e. look more towards long term success and health, than towards short term, impressive looking scale weight drops.

are you eating back exercise calories? (it's not clear from your post if you are or not) That amount of activity on just 1200 calories a day (i.e. not eating exercise calories as well) for a prolonged period of time is not a good idea for a whole bunch of reasons. There's a thread on here called "in place of a road map" that explains the problems caused by too few calories, and also gives you step by step instructions for how many calories you should eat for healthy, sustainable fat loss. Please read it, it's an excellent thread that has helped many, many people. There are also numerous threads that explain the reasons why, if you use the MFP default calories rather than the method in the road map thread, it's better to eat back exercise calories.

Don't be discouraged, you're off to a good start, 4kg is not a small amount of weight, and as you've lost it at a rate of about 1.3lb a week, then there's a good chance it was all fat that you lost, and as much as you may feel disappointed, it's actually a really good rate of fat loss, and excellent progress.

All of this.

My best advice OP is to be patient and adjust your expectations. You're in a healthy range for rate of loss, which is great. It sounds like you may be creating too large of a deficit, which can hinder your progress:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Set reasonable expectations for yourself and eat at a reasonable deficit. Log everything. Weigh your food, only measure free-pouring liquids. Good luck.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it in 6 weeks, so expecting to lose it all in 6 weeks is unrealistic. Sounds like you're making progress -- and if you push it and cut back too far in order to speed things up you'll probably not get the results you want.