Some good 1 person meal ideas?

Options
Littlethings_
Littlethings_ Posts: 20 Member
I often eat alone even if I do live with my family (hectic work hours) I never know what to eat or make myself.
I tend to stick with the same meals, homemade pizza or diet microwave meals.
Help me out?

Replies

• Simo606
    Simo606 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I made a tuna and pasta dish a while back and it tasted pretty close to Tuna Mornay but is much healthier and very easy to make (doesn't require baking). I just cooked some pasta, peas and corn and combined them (I think I added broccoli & cauliflower too) then just mixed in a tin of plain tuna (in springwater I think) and it's done. No toppings, cheese or anything like that and surprisingly it tasted awesome.

Hopefully you like tuna cause it's awesome :)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Chicken/steak on my George Foreman grill and steamed veggies in the microwave. Takes 5 minutes!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Salads with whatever protein you've got hanging around the fridge/pantry...stir frys are also good. I like those two things because you can easily portion out whatever you need for yourself and don't wind up cooking a bunch extra.
  • MusicalGoddess
    MusicalGoddess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I pre-cook a lot of my food and then put portions in the fridge or freeze them to last me a few days. That way you are not wasting anything, it's good for a person on the go (just have to heat it up) and it allows you to make healthier choices, cause you are plannin gyour meals out instead of waiting until you are hungry to cook.
  • MusicalGoddess
    MusicalGoddess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    And I agree, stir-frys are awesome, and I also do a lot of whole wheat wraps with chicken and veggies.
  • Simo606
    Simo606 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I pre-cook a lot of my food and then put portions in the fridge or freeze
    I need to start doing this, very good idea MusicalGoddes
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you aren't low carb, I have an oatmeal pancakes recipe that is easily modified and keeps me full from breakfast to lunch and sometimes beyond.

All you do is take one banana and mash it up. Add in 1/2 cup of rolled oats (regular or gluten free) 2 eggs or the equivalent of egg whites, and then whatever else you want. I do a dash of cinnamon and vanilla with one serving of PB2 and if I have them, blueberries. You just mix it all together and scoop it on a skillet to make like pancakes. They take a little longer to cook, but it still takes no more than 10 minutes from start to finish. My portions make 3 but if you make them bigger or smaller your results will vary. They are about 350 calories. There are 63 carbs, which is high, but 21 grams of protein, very little sodium (most of it is because I use egg whites) and 5 grams of fat.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas :)

I roasted a chicken breast on my rotisserie, and pulled all the chicken so i could add it to salads or quesdillas with whole wheat tortillas. Unfortunately, i couldn't eat the meat quickly enough, I will freeze half next time.
  • dreejay
    dreejay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself and I'm also trying to save money {recession and all that jazz}. Dinners are my big problem! I used to stick with Weight Watchers meals as they were the cheapest deal that I could find. I'd do a side salad with balsamic vinegar too. I've since moved on to a Southern spiced chicken breast - they come in a pack of four from the grocery store, and they are in the "healthy eating" section - with a portion of Uncle Ben's rice. I'm horrible at portion control, so I find the individual portions are worth the extra cost. I do the same side salad, too.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Eggs - fried, scrambled, omelette? Add spinach, ricotta, herbs, spring onions, etc.

Chicken breast - buy some, slice them thin and flat and freeze the slices individually so they will defrost quickly and you can grill them?

Frozen vegies - then you can just use what you need?

Googling cooking for one or something might give you some ideas as well?

I guess the thing is to avoid pre-prepared things which are probably high in fat, sugar, salt, that sort of thing. Also you want to enjoy your meals even if you are eating alone, rushing your meals could lead to you eating more?