Shirataki (tofu) noodles....

Crysta1976
Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Does anybody have any good recipes using Shirataki noodles? I have 2 packs of them, and no idea what to do with them. I've been wanting to try them, but would like a good recipe for them. Easy would be good too! =)

Replies

• emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    I know hungrygirl.com had some great recipes for them, were you add laughing cow lite swiss cheese and I think broccoli, sorry but Ive looked and could never find the shiratake noodles, darn. It was a fettuccini recipe.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    I want to try those sooooo badly but I have not been able to find them anywhere here either! I want the miracle ones with 0 calories, not the tofu ones though! But let us know how they turn out!!
  • i did not care for those noodles one bit. but everyone's taste is different, so good luck finding something to do with them that you like
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Those things are all over the Hungry Girl cookbooks - if someone ever runs across something similar in the UK, please post about it!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    To those asking about a source for the noodles, here is one. Not sure the sell in UK, but they seem to cover the US, Australia and Canada. Here is the link:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/index.html

I haven't tried them, but a noodle without calories sounds like a great idea to me.:drinker: :drinker:
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    A co-worker got them for me. They are the tofu ones...so they have 20 calories per serving. Still pretty light!

She got them a fruit market called Nino Salvaggio's. Not sure if it is just a local place or not. I have heard that Wal Mart carries them too. I have never looked there though.

I still haven't found anything that sounds really good with them yet. I will be sure to post when I do though.

Thanks...
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    I use them a lot. I get them at Publix (in Florida) and at NuritionSmart. I get the 20 calorie brand. I have to admit, I hated them the first time I tried them because the texture was off-putting to me. But my husband loves them, and I was missing pasta, so I was determined to figure them out. The primary thing is to rinse them really, really well, because the liquid they're preserved in is very fishy smelling. Once they're rinsed off, though, there is no smell or flavor like that. What I do is rinse them until the oder is gone, then let them drain really well. I usually chop them up a bit -- no reason why. To resolve the chewy texture issue, I sauté them in in a really hot pan and a bit of whatever sauce or seasonings I'm using in the main dish until they're squeaky/dry. They soak the flavor right up! They wind up firm vs. chewy. Here are a couple of recipes, although you can do pretty much anything with them that you'd do with pasta...If you get the angel hair spaghetti type you can even chop it up really small and use it like rice! It's great for a day when you're extra hungry or feeling the need to cheat but you don't want to. They are quite filling!

Enchilada Pasta
    Brown 1 lb of ground beef, drain it and set aside. In the same skillet, spray some regular Pam or use a bit of oil/butter and add some chili paste, the noodles and a bit of canned enchilada sauce. Sauté until squeaky. Add the ground beef, a can of black beans (optional) and the rest of the enchilada sauce. Simmer to incorporate flavors. Top with some low fat Mexican shredded cheese and pop in the oven to melt. You can spice it up with some jalapeños. It makes about 4 servings and is great reheated. The calories will depend on the type of ground beef and whether or not you use beans, but when I totaled it up w/o beans it was about 370.

Shirataki Puttanesca
    Brown one pound of ground beef (optional), drain and set aside. Sauté 2 bags of fettuccine style noodles in Pam or a bit of oil/butter, chili paste and garlic until squeaky. Add one can of large black olives, sliced in half, one big can of crushed tomatoes (I used the Hunt's brand with basil), a can of sliced mushrooms--all drained. Add in about half a jar of capers with liquid (or to taste), then return the ground beef to the pan and simmer until flavors are nice and incorporated. Of course, you can replace any of the canned veggies with fresh and it's even better! It makes a TON of food and is great reheated. Toss in some parm cheese if you'd like. Assuming 8 servings per batch, the calories with ground beef but w/o cheese is about 185.

Honestly, if you can get past the texture, these are great noodles for "hungry" days. Very filling, but not much by way of nutritional value.
  • I just bought these. thanks for the head's up on the smell.
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/249

I've made this numerous times and love it. As long as you rinse/drain them as well as previous poster suggests, they'll be fine. I even throw chicken in with this recipe. Yummy!
This discussion has been closed.