GLUTES - help needed!

Options
So I've barely exercised since before Christmas, I've put around 5lbs on (which I'm not happy about) but more importantly my knees have started to seize up again. I've had scans & seen physios etc but I'm told the problem is down to my weak glutes. I know there are numerous exercises to do to focus on glutes, but I really want to know how I can incorporate this into a regular routine.

I don't know where to start with this, I started the 30DS again last week but I really want to focus on strengthening these muscles to help my knees and also to finally get rid of this flabby *kitten*!

Any help would be greatly received! Cheers :smile:

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Are you a member of a gym?

If so I would recommend strength training exercises like Squats, Deadlifts, Straight Leg Deadlifts, and Hyper Extensions are great for your glutes.

You can also do glute bridges at home.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    If you don't have access to a gym - try stairs! Focus on firing your glute muscles while you slowly, purposefully, take each step. Add some weight by throwing some heavy stuff into a back pack.

Also wall squats with a ball so you get the range of motion. And when the weather picks up, just go outside and do squats in your driveway... then start picking up stuff to hold while you squat... like a bicycle. :)
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah, today will be my first trip back to the gym in a while..

I'm worried about doing myself more harm than good as I've been told my hamstrings overcompensate for my weak glutes.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
  • sharpad25
    Options
    I'm on the same boat. Ever since knee surgery, doc told me I needed to strengthen my glutes. I just started doing squats at home to see how it goes.

BTW, going up the stairs would be great except that my knee hurts when going down :/
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you google Glute exercises you will find a ton. Doing lots of squats may just aggravate your knees. Deadlifts are awesome, best exercises for gluteus are side lying leg lifts. When they compared a ton of different exercises, leg lifts fired the glutes the most. Try single leg deadlifts, single leg deadlifts and clamshells. I do these exercises every other day in addition to lateral band walks in rehab.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

If so I would recommend strength training exercises like Squats, Deadlifts, Straight Leg Deadlifts, and Hyper Extensions are great for your glutes.

This. if your glutes are so bad that it's causing knee pain, it's time to quit doing DVD workouts and join a gym.

Squats, Stiff Legged Deads, Dimel Deads, snatch grip deads, Pull Throughs, Good Mornings. Do all of those for a while and your glutes will get stronger.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I will not be able to offer any assistence on this matter without some pictures. lol
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat. Ever since knee surgery, doc told me I needed to strengthen my glutes. I just started doing squats at home to see how it goes.

BTW, going up the stairs would be great except that my knee hurts when going down :/

You could slide down the stairs on your glutes. :drinker:
  • linzijoy
    Options
    I favour DVD workouts as I'm not particularly confident at the gym. I did some lifting last year with a friend, but his sessions were always focused on upper body.

Just found this http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/strong-shapely-glutes/ but it looks pretty daunting.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    if you have bad knees most of these workouts can be modified...but honestly I dedicate one whole lower body day to my glutes....I want a great butt

squats squats squats...all types

high leg presses, deadlifts

wall sits

cable kick backs.

stair climber...

yeah just tons of stuff to get this booty big..and it has been working. Needing to buy bigger undies
  • linzijoy
    Options

This. if your glutes are so bad that it's causing knee pain, it's time to quit doing DVD workouts and join a gym.

Squats, Stiff Legged Deads, Dimel Deads, snatch grip deads, Pull Throughs, Good Mornings. Do all of those for a while and your glutes will get stronger.

I favour DVDs as I'm not really confident using weights at the gym....
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Lunges will give you an *kitten* that'll bring the dudes in bunches. Bigger steps + deeper stretch at the bottom really targets the glutes.
    Deep squats also do a good job bringing those glutes up.
    Actually any deep pressing (with your legs) movement will activate those glutes for glute growth.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    walking on an incline on the treadmill will give your glutes a workout. Not sure if you can do that with your knee problem though.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    S Q U A T S!!! Deep Squats. They don't necessarily have to weighted, more reps of 'air' squats are a really good.

Also dead-lifts, good mornings, leg presses, lunges, etc.

*Disclaimer: I am not an expert, just letting you know from my experience and what has worked for me.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    When Jessica Simpson was in great shape, and did that movie with short shorts on, she said she
    did tons of lunges. There are so many forms of lunges but basic lunges will do the trick.
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    I have suffered with something called runner's knee where in my IT Band gets irritated because the Gluteals aren't doing their job of directing the leg chain and the quadriceps have taken control so it pulls my knee out of alignment, not good if your an obstacle course racing junkie and a personal trainer by trade.

I have found for myself that the best exercises to really target the gluteals are pilates based ones such as glute bridges, clams, leg raises etc. You have to physically re-condition the gluteals to redo the job they should be doing. You should aim for very slow, very controlled movements particularly in the clams otherwise the front of the leg will take over (or hamstring in your case). The slower the movement the better, and when you really feel that glute contract hold it in position for a few seconds, get it back into the habit of being the instigator in the legchain. Then you can add in the squats, lunges, single leg deadlift, split squats off a bench, stright leg deadlift etc.

First and foremost you should aim to get the muscles playing ball and doing their correct job, which will give your knee the support it needs so you can then work on deep squats etc and shaping the buttocks.

Hope that helps
    :)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My knees have been hurting and I have been adding a variety of exercises over the last month. I am no expert but something is helping. I heard planks help knees along with any glute strengthening. I began a boot camp class that uses lots of similar moves to Jillian's 30 DS. I spin 1-2 days a week and we focus on glutes during that class. I also use the elliptical at least once a week and try to make sure I feel it in my glutes. When I started the boot camp class the jump n jacks hurt my knees and I had to do it modified. I kept working and now things are better.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

A lot of people favor DVDs for that reason.
    But as I said, if you have such a severe muscle imbalance that you're having knee pain, don't you think it's time to step out of your comfort zone to address your health/well being?

I was nervous the first week or two at the gym, you get used to it.

I just don't think you can build a lot of glute strength in your living room by doing workout DVDs.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Watch the video list on the bottom, after the video. They have one for each weight machine at the gym. You can do 1-2 at a time as you feel comfortable you are doing them correctly.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chest-press/MM00748