what age for children to start weight training?

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
My 6 year old is very eager to start weight training with real dumbbells and barbells (she has toy dumbbells already). I think six seems too young, especially as it's so important to get the form right. But I'd like to get information and experience from knowledgable people about what age is appropriate for starting to lift.

I know that kids can do weight training and weight lifting from quite a young age, younger than you'd think, but what are the various issues and limitations?

This would be purely for fitness and strength, and because my daughter's quite keen to start. I'm not even mentioning looks or body composition in relation to weight lifting, because there's so much pressure these days, especially on girls, to look a certain way, I don't want to add to that in any way. I just want her to enjoy exercise for its own sake and aspire to be fit, strong and healthy.

thoughts?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    3053-kids-weight-lifting.jpg

you too could have an 8 year old like this!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I think its too young - I think about those Romanian gymnasts in the 1970s, and how early they trained very hard and the issues its left them with. I know music teachers don't recommend brass instruments below a certain age because lungs are not sufficiently developed, so I would expect that to apply to all strenuous activities.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been told 8 is the youngest, but my friend who is a trainer said that as long as they start very light and focus on proper form before adding any weight. My son has been lifting some since he was 5. He also likes using resistance bands and doing body weight exercises. I walked in on him doing one arm pushups in our garage once. I suggest that you stick with only dumbbells for a while though. Barbells are pretty heavy. They can bench with dumbbells.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    id advise just getting her into lots of sport and build up muscle through like own body weight and cardio
  • JustCallMe_Tanya_Eh
    JustCallMe_Tanya_Eh Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    id advise just getting her into lots of sport and build up muscle through like own body weight and cardio

This
  • inkmonster
    Options
    if she wants to let her. can also show her other forms of muscly training like gymnastics or rock climbing ect which might be a little more fun for her. maybe she just wants to be like u.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I remember the YMCA back in my home town had an age limit of 13 years old. But, you had to go through a 2 weeks course first. The trainers would teach you about how your muscles work and how exercise helps your body and keeps you healthy. And then you would get a card that said you passed the class and the trainers would then take you into the weight room and you could work out with the machines. Your parents had to be working out along side you and you always had to keep that card on you in order to use them. When you turned 16 you could take a different class that taught you about the free weights.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This is purely anecdotal, but I occasionally train my nephew and he's 7. I started him at 6. He's a monster, though, in the 97th percentile in height and weight. He's as big as most 10 and 11 years olds.

He deadlifts his body weight, which I think is pretty good. He wants to try more, but I can't bring myself to allow it, for fear that his form will break down and something will go wrong.

I think if you teach your daughter proper form and start her with light weights, carefully assessing her skill level and performance, it should turn out well.

Additionally or alternatively, you could teach her to become really proficient at body weight exercises. Children and adults can become really fit doing push-ups, pull-ups, body weight squats etc. You could train her in the 7 primal movements.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i say 18

But i started at 15
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would say no heavy lifting..have her do calistenics which will train and/or prepare the muscles to weight lift. Also cardio is great for kids. Kids are made for motion! I wouldn't weight train until probably around 11 or 12! But you could also get her doctors advice on this. But I would say definitely go ahead with the calisthenics and cardio.
  • MelJolly
    MelJolly Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 13 and doing CrossFit with me, which involves weights in many ways. She is absolutely loving it, and it shows! In my opinion, if she is showing interest, absolutely encourage and teach her. As she learns, she will know her limits. I just think it's important to not push higher weights on her, but to let her move at her pace. You already demonstrate the love and concern for her that says that you'll be watching her closely and keeping her safe. :)
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think that that is too young. Children are still developing at that age. I would recommend asking your pediatrician/physician before starting your child on any weight bearing program. I believe children should be active but there are other activities a child can participate in.
    Lisa
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Have you asked her pediatrician. He will be the best person to ask.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ask her Peditrician ...
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    I started working out around 14. I started basic supplementation around 16 (protein shakes, creatine, Glutamine, etc).

If you play high school football, it's expected that you learn the basics of powerlifting (squats, deadlifts, bench, cleans) while you're in 9th or 10th grade.

Even if you aren't into sports, I think high school is a good time to start.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in jiujitsu and kickboxing, and the instructor sometimes has them work with kettle bells. The max he will let her use is a 5 pound bell, but usually she uses a teeny 3-pound pink one. The rule of the group is that kids can't do anything heavy until they're 10 or 11. She gets most of her strength from bodyweight exercises and boxing.

Honestly, all we care about is that she's having fun.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My oldest is 6, almost 7. I don't think he is coordinated enough yet to handle anything really big. Some of his friends probably are. I mostly let him do bodyweight exercises to build strength and coordination, and for now, anything over 5 pounds on a dumbbell he can't control form, so I won't let him try anything more than that. Kids at this age have a very wide range of abilities when it comes to fine and large motor skills. If you think she can handle starting and she has pretty good coordination, start it light, make sure she has good form, and make it absolutely clear to her that she touches nothing without you there. Either she will stay interested or she'll want to do something more group oriented with her friends.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Children below the age of 12 should never use weights. Only exercises using their body weight should be done.