PCOS buddies??

Options

Replies

• dcvisser
    dcvisser Posts: 3
    Options
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2011, I have been slowly losing the weight. Down 30lbs since the diagnosis, it hasn't been easy. I have been able to recognize my "crash" foods....did WW for a bit but really need to keep an eye on the carbs and that is why I prefer MFP over WW. Feel free to add me, fellow PCOSers!
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have PCoS & a100lb goal as well!
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS so everyone can please feel free to add me.
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago. I have about 40ish lbs to go.
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I was diagnosed many years ago when I was 228 pounds and desperately trying to conceive. When nothing was working to help fertility, I gave up 'trying' and decided to get healthy by joining Weight Watcher's and I lost 90 pounds! During my journey my PCOS disappeared and I now have 3 amazing children. It is totally possible to kick this thing. Don't give up! Make yourself a priority. BEST OF LUCK!!
  • saveferris2013
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and have about 50 lbs to lose. I switched to a plant-based vegan diet and that seems to help. Please add me.
    Thanks!
  • erintgaffaney
    Options
    You can add me! PCOS is my affliction in life as well.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me- PCOS, 140 pounds lost :smile:
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    HOW DOES MY WIFE LOOSE WEIGHT MORE EASILY? what do you ladies do?
  • Forever85
    Options
    HOW DOES MY WIFE LOOSE WEIGHT MORE EASILY? what do you ladies do?

Hi

There is no way to tell you how you wife can lose weight easily. With PCOS what works for one woman might now work for another. Most of the women I talk to with PCOS are on metformin, are following a specific diet suited to them which has been advised by a dietician or gynaecologist. Exercise does help. But I really think you and your wife really need to research everything you can on PCOS, try different diets to find what gives the best relief. It's a slow process just so you both know that.
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Another PCOS sufferer in the ranks. I have been working at this for a few months now and am close to hitting the 35 lbs lost mark with many more to go.

Feel free to add me.
  • locana
    locana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too! Was diagnosed many years ago. Three years ago I lost four stone (52 pounds) via MFP, but sadly put it all back and then some when my father passed away. Decided not to take Metformin (?) but thats because the Doctor didn't explain what it was for? What does it do? Anyways, feel free to add me, I started on 25 Feb and have lost 11 pounds so far!
  • motivatedshi
    motivatedshi Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, Your wife has to WANT to loose weight really bad. I started following a low amylose diet in December and I have lost 31 pounds so far, with close to no exercise. There is a great video on youtube called " the pcos diet that worked for us" and the lady in the video does a great job at explaining what diet her doctor recommended. I have been following the diet and it has been working like a charm, it basically cuts out grains, sugar, and high glycemic veggies and fruit. Look it up, it was very helpful for me.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Following a low glycemic lifestyle is very important! .. so that insulin does not build up and store as fat.

It's a ruff journey but it can be done, just put one foot in front of the other! You got this!

Feel free to add me.
  • crystalratliff
    crystalratliff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello all my fellow PCOS buds! I too suffer with this crazy disorder. I gained 70 lbs in 3 months and no one could figure out why then all of a sudden it was like PCOS was the new disease for women and sure enough that was my problem. I am excited to find all of you on here and hope for support, encouragement, etc...anxious to see how others overcome! So please add me to the group as well! Good luck everyone...we can do it!:happy:
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have been pretty successful with weight loss... I am in the end stages of losing but still molding my body.... I'll friend anybody but be forewarned... I'm saucy and funny and kinda nutty... but I'm around a lot and I am supportive... but will point out areas of issue if I need to....
  • harmonymkr
    harmonymkr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16, have been struggling with weight (among other things) ever since. Add me as a friend, I would love to support you.
  • backincontrol
    backincontrol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and have struggled with weight all of my life. I am restarting my life style changes and hoping for the best. I had gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies and while following the heart association diet my blood sugar levels were great. So I am trying to limit my carb intake and see where this takes me. Good luck everyone, we can do this!!
  • hides89
    hides89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, and given Metformin 500mg twice a day to help it.
    I also have vitamin B12 deficiency, which can be made worse by Metformin (arrghh! neverending cycle of illness!)
    I'm struggling at the moment though to know what I should/shouldn't be eating.
    I love carbs, think it's having an Irish family - so many potatoes! but I don't want to eat them as they make me feel awful afterwards.

When I was diagnosed, I was just told 'yeah you have PCOS, take this Metformin', I was not told it would worsen my b12 levels or that I should gradually up my dosage of Metformin either! I had to discover these myself so getting diet advice from my GP is unlikely.
    Any recommendations?
  • taraboo89
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed with PCOS About 2 years ago I have tried pretty much every diet there is I'm currently just trying to limit my calorie intake and trying to be sensible when it comes to treats. I have also been exercising 3-4 times per week for at least an hour. So far I have lost 2lbs then put 1 back on after a week of binging on pizza chocolate and beer ( very naughty I know) but it's hard to stick with it when I'm just not getting any results. Any ideas or support would be welcome I really don't want to do low GI or low carb as I know as soon as I stop I'll pile the weight ack on and then some.