Lost 74 pounds..but have stopped losing. Cal intake?

Options
I have been trying to figure out what my intake should be as I have not lost weight in several months now...I have used a calculator and been eating 1800 as my maintenance with lots of protein to build muscle and have gone from a size 12 to an 8.

But...i have gone from 152.5 pounds to 157.5 pounds. I have stopped tracking sodium and have been consuming tons of it...so that might be part of it....but I'm ready to see the 140s!!

I work at Target for a moderate amount of hours per week as a cashier, and I also try to strength train and do HiiT cardio almost daily. I try to eat things that help build muscle..i.e. protein shakes, spinach, good fats, lean chicken, brown rice, etc. I take fish oil daily.

I'm 5ft2...medium framed...help?? I'm determined to be in the 130s by next february...I'm just getting so frustrated.

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have been trying to figure out what my intake should be as I have not lost weight in several months now...I have used a calculator and been eating 1800 as my maintenance with lots of protein to build muscle and have gone from a size 12 to an 8.

But...i have gone from 152.5 pounds to 157.5 pounds. I have stopped tracking sodium and have been consuming tons of it...so that might be part of it....but I'm ready to see the 140s!!

I work at Target for a moderate amount of hours per week as a cashier, and I also try to strength train and do HiiT cardio almost daily. I try to eat things that help build muscle..i.e. protein shakes, spinach, good fats, lean chicken, brown rice, etc. I take fish oil daily.

I'm 5ft2...medium framed...help?? I'm determined to be in the 130s by next february...I'm just getting so frustrated.

How many calories are you eating now?

ETA Sorry I missed the 1800 calorie part. I am 5'2 158lbs and my goal is 130. I am eating 1700 calories per day and have a desk job. So the scale for you is going up but you are losing inches correct? You went from a 12 to an 8. Then I wouldn't worry about the scale and keep doing what you're doing.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If I undestand you correctly... you are 5'2", 157lbs and are eating 1800 calories? Yes, I would say that is quite too much. As a fellow shorty, I can say I would gain loads of weight eating 1800 calories/day. I eat 1350 on REST days... closer to 1600 on workout days. I am 5'2"... started at 149, currently 133.
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You have certainly lost an amazing amount of weight, well done. Perhaps you need to change your diet regime, try the 5:2 diet, there is a few of us on it, look for groups and 5:2 diet. Your body has plateaued, happens to us all, just needs a kick start, if you feel you need to lose more. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for progress so far :flowerforyou: . :smile:

I'm 5.1 and weight 161, I consume 500 cals on fast days, twice a week, and between 1,000 - 1,200 on feast days, sorry I too feel 1800 is a lot for dieting.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I would try to going back to the basics like when you started. Log it, schedule your workouts - that's the program.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I checked your food/exercise diary for the last 2 weeks. Your net calories is ~1550. However, your macros are through the roof. Many days you have sodium over 4000. I think this 3-4lb are water retention, not weight gain. Also, there are NO fruits and vegetables in your diet, fresh or frozen. Instead of eating a cambel's soup, get some fresh green or lettuce and add the tuna, or plain lettuce with green scallions and fresh lemon juice and 1tb olive oil for dressing. Eat apples, oranges, etc. Try to cook yourself, small items as you feel comfortable. Remember, this is a lifestyle change.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I was told you should recalculate your tdee after every 5 pounds you lose...maybe try that.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You have certainly lost an amazing amount of weight, well done. Perhaps you need to change your diet regime, try the 5:2 diet, there is a few of us on it, look for groups and 5:2 diet. Your body has plateaued, happens to us all, just needs a kick start, if you feel you need to lose more. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for progress so far :flowerforyou: . :smile:

I'm 5.1 and weight 161, I consume 500 cals on fast days, twice a week, and between 1,000 - 1,200 on feast days, sorry I too feel 1800 is a lot for dieting.

Can I just point out that you are not doing the 5:2 diet as it was designed to be followed? The calorie deficit in the 5:2 diet comes from the days when you eat 500 calories a day. Why on earth would a "feast" day be only 1000 calories?! You should be eating your TDEE on those days if you are doing it to lose weight. You're going to find that your weight loss stalls pretty quickly doing it your way and that you may feel very weak. I hope you are eating your exercise calories back!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, people who have lost weight often have a lower BMR than someone at their current weight who has never been heavier and lost. So when you calculate BMR and TDEE you do need to consider that the real values might be up to several hundred calories lower.
  • Alta2000
    Options

Can I just point out that you are not doing the 5:2 diet as it was designed to be followed? The calorie deficit in the 5:2 diet comes from the days when you eat 500 calories a day. Why on earth would a "feast" day be only 1000 calories?! You should be eating your TDEE on those days if you are doing it to lose weight. You're going to find that your weight loss stalls pretty quickly doing it your way and that you may feel very weak. I hope you are eating your exercise calories back!

It is due to age/gender, so it is appropriate for her. There is a different caloric needs for a 27 yr old male and a 60 yr old female.
  • hadriabeth
    Options
    Sodium is a terrible enemy on the scale! I am similar weight/size to you (154, 5'2") and if I have a high sodium day I can pack on as much as 3lbs over night. Two days of eating fresh food and it's usually all gone. Try to stay under 2,000g of sodium and drink a lot of water for a few days and it should go away. Incorporate more fresh food into your diet.

If it helps, I've got my MFP set to 1600 cals daily, and I do not eat back my exercise calories (sometimes if I am having a hungry day I will eat back half). I am losing about .5/week. I could go lower with the calories but I love food and hate feeling hungry. I work a desk job and hit the gym 3-4 times a week. My goal is 125-130 but I am in no rush to get there.

Good luck!!
  • dovetail22uk
    Options

It is due to age/gender, so it is appropriate for her. There is a different caloric needs for a 27 yr old male and a 60 yr old female.

So I'm assuming (or you are) that 1000 calories is her TDEE?
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    KMS, you have done so well, and I have been here with you for a while now. Please DO NOT listen to those telling you to slash your calories. If you are still exercising 5/6 days a week and cashiering your calories are about right. You know that is not the route for you. The fresh food is a good idea, and cut that sodium! I would suggest trying to get some fruit/veg, and fresh food in there. Take 2 or 3 rest days in a row then get back to basics. You are losing inches, so you are doing right. I totally understand wanted to see the scale move, but that is really not the most important. I am about 15 pds behind you, and started 20 lbs over your start weight, and we are the same height.
  • dovetail22uk
    Options

You say "been eating 1800 as my maintenance" - do you mean that 1800 is your TDEE or your TDEE-20%?
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same postion as you. I've lost 76 lbs, I'm in the 150's and my goal is in the 130's. I spoke to one of my friends here who is very knowledgable (and banned, I might add..ironically) as to what I should be doing now and he suggested I eat at maintenance for a week (2000 cals as I teach fitness every day), then drop to 1700, then drop to 1400 and have that as my goal for a while and see how I am there.

Good luck with breaking your plateau. It's indeed frustrating as heck.
  • FutureMrsWarby
    FutureMrsWarby Posts: 96 Member
    Options

You say "been eating 1800 as my maintenance" - do you mean that 1800 is your TDEE or your TDEE-20%?

I think if I understand it correctly...it's TDEE-20% haha. I work out every day and have a high labor job so...the calculator had said my TDEE was around 2300 something.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Before you do anything, make sure you are measuring our food correctly, sometimes something this simple can make a big difference.

I am just checking if you are using a digital scale...even for cereal, and peanut butter, etc...

sometimes measuring by the cup/tsp allows for quite a bit of error if it happens a few times a day.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Before you do anything, make sure you are measuring our food correctly, sometimes something this simple can make a big difference.

I am just checking if you are using a digital scale...even for cereal, and peanut butter, etc...

sometimes measuring by the cup/tsp allows for quite a bit of error if it happens a few times a day.

This is true!

Try eating back your exercise calories if you do measure everything, you said you're a cashier so being on your feet all day makes your TDEE go up, try eating 1800 net cals for 2 weeks!
  • Alta2000
    Options
    KMS, you are doing great because your net is 1550 almost every day. You just need to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily foods. If you feel uncomfortable eating foods that do not have ready listed the calories, try eating a lot of low fat fruits like salad greens, tomatoes, make an omelet with spinach or zucchini or green pepper. Start slowly so you can learn and eye ball correctly and then graduate to cour own pasta and pasta sauce.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Yes!
  • tarayatesgosse
    Options
    This is just my opinion but this is what happened to me. I have been walking 3 miles a day 5 days a week for 10 months and the first 2 months showed nothing and then for a few months after that I was losing inches but not a lot of weight. During that time I was making sure I got a lot of protien throughout the day. I have a high labor job as well. I know a lot of the weight I am losing so well now is from the calorie counter but it seems to me that when I cut back to just a moderate amount of protien I started losing. I asked a friend and he said that my high protein should not inhibit my weight loss but shortly after that is when I backed off and it is coming off. Just a thought, nothing medical behind it.

Also I have heard that you need to mix up your workouts a lot. I guess something like your body gets used to the routine. I have heard good things about people increasing their calories by about 40 or 60 when they plateu and they start losing again.

Again, all of this is just what I have heard around or experienced, no science behind it or anything.
    Have you ever been in the 140's? I know my body is just not meant to be under 140, my whole life no matter what I did or how I ate, it just almost never happened. I believe everyone has a weight and size their body is meant to be. Mine is 144 and a small 14. Doubt I will see it again at my age but I am trying to get close. I hope you can get it figured out but also great job on your current loss! It is incredible