How many calories should I be eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    MFP has already worked a deficit into your figures, so without doing exercise you will lose weight. Doing exercise will give you more of a deficit; if there is too much of a deficit the body can tend to hold on to weight or your metabolism can be slowed down so it really makes sense to eat the calories back, or at least most of them. It is better to lose the weight slowly but without starving your body of the nutrients it needs. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Hope this helps:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/nutrition-tools/caloric-needs

First you are over exercising and under eating. Just stick with insanity. Second, no offense to Dans roadmap but if you are going to do insanity then follow their nutritional needs calculator and set your macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. The link above will tell you want to eat daily.. its total calories not net.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Btw over training will hurt your success and make it harder to lose. So if you want to do doubles you will probably be needing close to 2500-3000 calories a day.
  • missblissj
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I do want to continue doing both. I have decided that I am going to stick to regular exercise on the weekends, something about waking up at 6:00a.m. to do Insanity is really helpful Mon-Fri where as on the weekends it is not so easy especially since I sleep in.

I imagine I will be doing both at least 3-4x a week. On the days I do both I will be sure to eat more calories, I imagine I will still stay below 2000 and see how it works out.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I just really need to know if 1200ish calories is enough for the amount of exercise I am doing. Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

With the amount of activity you are doing daily, you should probably be adding at least 500 calories to what you are eating. The 1200 calories is really for if you are fairly sedentary and need to lost weight.

When filling out your profile, did you put that you are very active?
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    freedieting.com has a awesome calculator that is the most accurate i have found and then change the macros on ur MFP to meet this
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Thanks so much! Honestly, I am not that hungry! But since I don't have a lot of groceries I can probably use a little bit more each day! So happy it's payday!

I noticed after 3 days of the routine I was a bit more sluggish, so everyone's advice will really help me in reaching my goals.

Just a little back story - I did HCG and lost 50lbs, and basically ALL my muscle. Now I am working that much harder to gain those back plus lose the extra fat!

You are sluggish because you are burning way more fuel than you are taking in... I am with a couple of others, you need to adjust the fuel first (because you are trying to build muscle), then if you feel comfortable with what you are eating, then maybe look at how much exercise you are doing... And always remember, you will need to re-evaluate periodically and change things up.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I do want to continue doing both. I have decided that I am going to stick to regular exercise on the weekends, something about waking up at 6:00a.m. to do Insanity is really helpful Mon-Fri where as on the weekends it is not so easy especially since I sleep in.

I imagine I will be doing both at least 3-4x a week. On the days I do both I will be sure to eat more calories, I imagine I will still stay below 2000 and see how it works out.

If you aren't feeding your body properly, you will only repeat the results you got from HCG.. Based on your stats alone, doing just insanity would require 2050 calories based on beachbody's calculator. So that should be your base on days you just do insanity. If you do the double workouts, it should be around 2300 on those days. Too high of a deficit and you will continue to lose more muscle. BTW, you can not build new muscle mass while you are on a calorie deficit, especially with a program like insanity. You need to lift heavy and eat a surplus of calories to gain new muscle mass. If you like beachbody, a program like body beast is much better for building muscle.

How recently did you do HCG?
  • missblissj
    Options
    I stopped HCG about 6 months ago. But I haven't actually completed a round in about a year.

Thank you for your advice. I am going to fluctuate the calories and bump them up a little and see what works for me.