Runners... I need your advice

Options

Replies

• 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Running is all about conditioning. Mind and body. Just like having a good running pace your conditioning pace is important as well. As already suggested, the C25K program is a great start as is good running shoes fitted for you by a good 'Runner's store' professional. When you get past what I would call base conditioning (ex; at the end of a C25K program) you will then enter a level of enjoyment when you run (or even think about running) that will fully reveal why running is so addictive.

Don't get me wrong. Just starting out is fun too but there is a level you can reach that so many never get to because they give up too soon.
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'd like to do this outside. I live in Michigan so the weather is questionable pretty much every day. It's cold out now.. Should I be starting this in the cold? So many questions..

I started C25K last year in this weather. I actually really like running in the cold! I guess it depends on how cold the weather is by you. I personally don't run if it's colder than 32 degrees. It also depends on the wind. I won't run if it's cold and very windy, but if the wind isn't bad I run. I get SUPER hot when I run. You just need to learn how much clothes to layer. My hubby laughs because I will run all winter, but I do NOT like running outside in the summer if it's hot or if the sun is out.

Feel free to add me as well. I did C25K last year and now I want to run a 10K this year.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied to the OP, I've been cycling for five years and really been training hard the last 8 months but haven't done any running. I got back from my second run at lunchtime today and saw this, I'll definitely check out C25K.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

winterwarlock.jpg?w=450
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    all that plus...

Have someone (who is qualified to) take a look at your stride. I caused myself some injury because of bad form.

Heel strike = bad for shins, knees

Fore/Mid Foot strike = good (but your calves will hate you until they get properly strengthened)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'd like to do this outside. I live in Michigan so the weather is questionable pretty much every day. It's cold out now.. Should I be starting this in the cold? So many questions..

Well you'll get another C25K vote from me... I swear by it. I hated, no despised running, but knew I could get a lot of bang for my buck by doing it. So I did the program and now have run several half marathons. Running is my therapy.

That said, you need to figure out the tricks that work for you. I personally refuse to run on treadmills, but I live in CA and the weather is pretty decent year round. While it does get cold, it's not as cold as where you live.

Like another person said, my lungs don't hold up well if it's in the 20s, but I can do the low 30s. The only way to know what your "thing" is, is to go for it!

I've been running for 6 years and I'm still learning as I go.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I also started with couch to 5k and I've now completed two marathons and countless other races. Go get fitted for shoes, download the app, and get started! I am in the Chicago area and I run outside all year round. Some weeks I may only get out once if it's icy outside but I still make sure I get out there at least once.
  • sarahxcx
    sarahxcx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was the same, started running last January and couldn't run for longer than a minute at a time, by May I managed to run 5.5 miles in a charity run.
    Its worth investing in a good pair of trainers.
    I used Runners world for a lot of tips and training plans, I also got the nike + app for my phone which is great.
    I live in Scotland so its pretty much always cold here, I would recommend a good walk to warm up first, I also like wearing hoodies that I can take off and wrap around my waist if I get too hot..
    I love running now, it just makes me feel so much better, Good luck!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K

Get fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store

Check out this website: goodformrunning.com

Have fun!

This is it EXACTLY!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Bump to save.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    -1 Shoes fitted at a running store.
    -2 Some core strength and stretching.
    -3 Walk the distance you want to run before you run it.
    -4 Sign up for a race.
    -5 Have fun

Here are couple of more detailed entries.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/surviving-the-long-run-398961

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/injuries-and-stupidity-453702

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/running-crap-for-idiots-263309
  • pbrant_13
    Options
    It's not the cold that will get to you, it's the poor footing, ice, snow, deer. Run inside until it gets nicer out. I'm from MI too. Treadmill is boring, but most places have tv's and music. Good luck.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the above advice, get a good sports bra. Compression bras are best. The babies wil thank you.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well all I did was make sure to get a pair of good, comfortable running shoes, then I just started. Go as slow as you need to and work your way up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, following an operation on my right thigh I haven't ran. Not really sure how I would as i have not done so since 2007. I do spend time on the treadmill at the gym but do it as a brisk walk.
    Will be doing race for life later in the year, will do 5km and see how it goes. Have been doing some training see no problems in just building up to the 5km.
    Would anyone know how I might actually be able to take up running, I would be scared of doing it alone and am not sure if it is possible for me to run. I had the quad muscle removed following cancer.

First off, three cheers for wanting to give it a go! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

But I really think that's a question for your medical professionals who know your exact situation.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I didnt do c25k .. but I did something similar on my own. I started "running" when I was much bigger (maybe 290 or so). I started with walking. When I wasnt completely winded after a walk, I started walking faster .. longer. As that was getting less effective, I'd add in some bursts of running. Just make sure every time you go out, you have the intention of doing a little better than yesterday.

At this point I can run about 3.5 miles in 45 minutes. Not setting the world on fire, but it's the first time in my life I've been able to run over a mile.

I hear a lot of chatter about shoes. I'm pretty agnostic about shoes. I usually buy discount rack cross trainers. I think unless there's a real problem with your foot, shoes don't matter much. Like now; it's springtime in New England, I run in the woods, it's muddy .. so I currently do my running in work boots.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    I did C25K and it WORKED! I went from hardly being able to run for 2 minutes to being able to run for 30 mins in about 9 weeks.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I also used c25k. I ran my first 5k Thanksgiving last year. I kept up running through the winter and am training for a half marathon now. I used the active.com app to train. I tried some others but liked it best. I think it only cost 1.99. Like others have said get good shoes. I went from horrible shin and knee pain to none once I had my new shoes. After I finished c25k I got the nike+ app and I love that you can use it both outside and on TM and it keeps great totals. Good luck. I went from hating even the thought of running to actually enjoying it. :)

I too use active.com's version of the c25k. I like the "coach" on the app. I would also recommend running outside. I live in Oklahoma where the weather changes so drastically from day to day. I started my c25k on the TM and was able to run for the first time outside last night. It's a whole lot easier to run on the TM than outside, I can guarantee that. But it felt great to finish my workout even if I did run .05 of a shorter distance than on the treadmill.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said..
    C25K
    good running shoes from a running store who will take the time, scan your feet, watch you run to see your stride and match you up with the perfect pair for YOU. It's important or you'll end up seeing a podiatrist later.
    good socks ( my fave are from Walmart, Dr. Scholls health strides for women, they are white ankle socks (I know, but trust me) and are in a pink & yellow package, near the the diabetic socks) I like those 100% times better than any socks I've bought at the running shoe store
    Also, if you have never run, when you do C25K and you're having a hard time, jog slower. I was also told that if you can slow down, you're going too fast. You can easily add speed later!
    Run facing traffic, don't run in the middle of the road, even if there is no traffic. I learned that the hard way when I crashed and burned and had to crawl to the side of the road.
    Change up your route or jog with a friend for safety & carry some pepper spray and take your phone.
    I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but there is a c25k app from zen labs that is free. I love it and even did the c25k bridge to 10k. You can use it outside or on a treadmill.
    Get a good waterproof case for your phone that straps to your arm. You can still use the phone thru the plastic cover, plus you can loop the earbud cord through your shirt sleeve.
    Buy some good running shorts, under armour bras, T's, or buy some knock offs. I prefer under armour because the other stuff isn't as good. I feel too hot in it. Don't wear cotton, you stay wet, you get chaffed, then you get cold, etc.
    Don't run every single day. Cross train with swimming, biking, skating, whatever on your off days. Walking is great because it strengthens your ankles and other muscles that you use while running, without straining them too much.
    You can do this! Good luck!
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    C25K

GET FITTED FOR RUNNING SHOES

DO IT IN THE COLD OR THE HEAT. DRESS FOR IT.

STICK WITH IT. NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES.