30 Day Shred

Options
Hi...I just started the 30 Day Shred today and I know that many people had done this and I was just curious as to how and if you log the excercise?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    From "Help" at the top of every page:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/330-my-favorite-exercise-is-not-in-the-database
    My favorite exercise is not in the database.

Our cardio exercise database is always undergoing revision. Currently most of the entries are for standard exercises whose calories are easily calculated with the right personal data such as your weight.

Many popular exercise routines consist of complex series of movements, so the calories burned vary greatly for each individual.

Popular requests that we are already considering adding are:

Zumba
    P90x
    Nia
    Xbox Kinect
    Les Mills
    Jillian Michaels
    Bikram Yoga

and several others.

We hope to add these items at some point in the future, when we have determined the best way to calculate the calories burned.

In the meantime if you roughly know how many calories you are burning via a heart rate monitor, etc., then you can add the exercise in yourself. Just go to "cardiovascular" and then "create new exercise". This will be for your personal database and not the main database.

Or for a "rough" estimate, you could also try substituting something similar like a dance class or yoga practice already in our database.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you...
  • JenniNBond
    JenniNBond Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think most people use circuit training for the 30 day shred - I've been told it is very close to actual calories burned.
  • mamaleftwich
    Options
    Thank you bondojen...I thought about that as well and I think that I will use that! Appreciate it!
  • bussdean
    bussdean Posts: 3
    Options
    sorry to be stup[id.. but what is a 30 day shred?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Use Curves Circuit Training... if you use circuit training general, you will get a very inaccurate burn amount.. it's around 100 cals higher than Curves Circuit Training..
  • ausfgrad
    ausfgrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of the shred and I saw that other people were using circuit training, so that is how I have logged it - however, I am going to put on my HRM to see what that says. Good luck!!!
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just finished the shred! It was awesome :) Good Luck!!

When I did it, I logged it as General Circuit Training.
  • jericenkins
    Options
    On day 6 - I just log it as general circuit training :)
  • yluvone2
    yluvone2 Posts: 1
    Options
    What is the 30 day shred?
  • mamaleftwich
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the input! As I was looking through the drop down menus, I thought of Circuit Training or Calestentics (sp)....I will use tghe Circuit Training! Today was my first day and I think that I'm going to enjoy it! I'm using the 5 lb hand weights...I'll see how well that goes! LOL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    "30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out"

^The above is from another poster in another 30 Day Shred post. It's from Jillian Michael's website. I find that my burn ends up being pretty close to my weight.
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use calisthenics because that's what you are doing...
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For those of you who asked, 30 Day Shred is a Jillian Michaels workout video.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I use calisthenics because that's what you are doing...

Don't mean to sound mean but WWW, don't follow the advice of this post. Look at the burn difference between calisthenics and circuit training general or any other workout on MFP.. you have to do Insanity-like workout to burn anything similar to Calisthenics