really struggling to lose the last 14 pounds, any tips.

Options
santd
santd Posts: 234 Member
I know I've lost a lot of weight, but one would think I could lose the last 14 pounds and i can't. I go up and then back down, but I can't go under...its driving me nuts. when the scales don't move I just jump into the nearest cookie jar. why is it so much harder to lose fat at the end? fat is fat. any tips please. I eat three times a day, and I try not to go over 1200 each day.

Replies

• kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try eating more... I know, it goes against everything that seems "natural"... but I promise it will work.... I did it on my 96lb weight loss journey... and IT WORKED. I would up it about 200 - 300 calories.... let me know if you have any questions.... but I have to ask, are you in a healthy weight range right now? If so, you may not need to loose any more.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am stuck getting rid of the last 5 lbs. I have been maintaining for 5 months and decided to drop another 5 lbs but... not sure what to do. I drop the calories and lose but... it is not sustainable.
  • santd
    Options
    Thanks both, I've lost altogether in 18 months 182 pounds, but I've put 9 of those pounds back on, so I've now got 16 pounds still left to lose to get to 140 pounds. I don't want to get to skinny, just healthy. I'm 5 foot 2 inches so I shouldn't be heavier than 140 pounds, but struggling. Its my appetite I think, to be under 140 pounds, I think you have to eat like a bird.

I love my food, and i do eat healthy, but its the volume of what I'm eating i find hard to cut down. I need to get there because both of my knees are painful. I came on this sight to help me with the last stone to lose. But i seem to be going up not down.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am just now trying to lose the last 10 lbs. As we get nearer to our goal we should increase our calories and aim for a half a pound loss each week.

I increased my calories the other day and I have already lost another lb. Eating nearer your maintenance level will also help prepare your body for what it is going to have in the future. If you were to continue on 1200 cals to goal weight and then suddenly increase to maintenance number you could surely put some weight back on which would be very disheartening.

I am intending to increase calories slowly up on the next couple of months until I get to maintenance figure naturally so I will already be used to eating the right amount of healthy food.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Sandra. I will watch this with interest. May I ask, can you log this so that we can see how these figures are working against final months of weightloss? I would find this very useful. Thanks!
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Every body is different, so how do you know you shouldn't be over 140? Have you worked out your body fat percentage? I'd like to aim more for that number than any specific number on the scale as it gives a better indicator of health. Like someone else said, eat closer to maintenance aiming for slower weight loss.
  • santd
    Options
    I need a BMI of around 26, its 30 at present. I suffer pain with my knee joints and extra weight over 10 stones for someone 5 feet 2 inches is too much.
  • santd
    Options
    I think eating smaller meals and more of them (like 5 instead of three), and exercise before eating, is the key to successful weight loss myself. Its just putting it into practice. If anyone has any other tips i would really appreciate it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For my last bit I really tightened up on logging accuracy. I entered everything in grams, I found the non-asterisked entries in the database whenever possible, I entered my own recipes etc. I set MFP to lose .5 lbs per week and I ate back half my exercise calories. I never had the stall that many people talk about. Good luck!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My tip is.... don't try to lose it. you don't need to, who cares what the scales say ??????

Your goal should be to try and lose inches....go down in pant sizes, not scale weight. Focus on body fat loss and not scale weight loss... that is the road to the body you want.

No one knows what you weigh unless you tell them.
    If you weigh 120 and fit into a size 4 or weigh 150 and wear a sz 4.....what does it matter ??? By the way, the girl that weighs 150 will have 10x better body than the one that weighs 120....just saying...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know I've lost a lot of weight, but one would think I could lose the last 14 pounds and i can't. I go up and then back down, but I can't go under...its driving me nuts. when the scales don't move I just jump into the nearest cookie jar. why is it so much harder to lose fat at the end? fat is fat. any tips please. I eat three times a day, and I try not to go over 1200 each day.

eat more. the closer you are to goal, the smaller the deficit you need. aim for 250cals under maintenance, it may be slow but it'll come off!

also, try something new in your exercise routine.

if you have restricted your calories for a while, maybe have a week at maintenance with little exercise, and then start again after that.
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Maybe incorporate walking/swimming/strength training activity into your weight loss program, if you haven't already
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think eating smaller meals and more of them (like 5 instead of three), and exercise before eating, is the key to successful weight loss myself. Its just putting it into practice. If anyone has any other tips i would really appreciate it.

i would have to disagree, the key to successful wieght loss is a moderate calorie deficit and a lot of patience!

all you need is a healthy balanced diet (eating once, 3 times or 20 times a day is up to you, it mkaes no odds) and some regular exercise.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    My tip is.... don't try to lose it. you don't need to, who cares what the scales say ??????

Your goal should be to try and lose inches....go down in pant sizes, not scale weight. Focus on body fat loss and not scale weight loss... that is the road to the body you want.

No one knows what you weigh unless you tell them.
    If you weigh 120 and fit into a size 4 or weigh 150 and wear a sz 4.....what does it matter ??? By the way, the girl that weighs 150 will have 10x better body than the one that weighs 120....just saying...

^^^^
    I have around 6 pounds to lose to hit goal. This above is how I started thinking. Instead of worrying about the last 6 pounds I am working on getting fit and stronger.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I just went on webMd to calculate BMI, etc. I only planned to try to lose 5 more lbs. but it is saying I need to lose 10 to be in the "normal" range for an adult woman. That is depressing as I am struggling this week at controlling my eating. I was doing ok up until this weekend. Time to up the exercise some more, I suppose.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Actually just the opposite in my experience. Read up on Intermittent Fasting (IF for short). I changed from my 5 cute little protein packed meals to 2 FEASTS a day and my weight dropped and my energy levels zoomed. This was also done by consuming more calories than I did with my 5 little meals. The key though is to research it yourself before you change anything and not just rely to advice on boards like this. IF is not for everyone but when it works it REALLY works.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree with ntdrive, look into some strength training. A lot of women fear it because they think they will get bulky but more muscle you have the higher your RMR will be, the more cals you will burn on the daily and it is easier to loose weight, good luck
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    First, congrats at losing 182 lbs!

Second, how often do you vary your workout routines? If you aren't doing it now, do weight training or resistance training. Not only will it help you lose weight, your body will tighten up (so you will LOOK lighter) and believe me, you will be eating more, LOL. Weight training will make you super hungry and 1200 calories will not hit the spot.

5499814.png
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree, try upping that 1200 to 1500 or so.
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    BMI is not a good tool at all. It does not take into account your body frame. Body fat % is the measure of what weight you should be. You should work out your BF% and then decide where you want to be.