Ran a 5k, now can barely run a mile? wth?!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
In January, I ran my first 5k. I hadn't been planning for it at all; I had been running occasionally, but the farthest I'd ever run was about 2 miles. The run was on a Disney cruise and my uncle told me about it the day before. I still partied it up on the cruise and got plastered that night, then got up on 2 hours of sleep, still drunk AND hungover, and ran the 5k in 27:24. Pretty cool, right?

WellI don't know if it was just the race atmosphere or what, but I haven't been able to run that far since! When I got back I went for a run and decided to aim for 2 miles. I thought it would be easy since I had already run 3.1! But nope, after the first mile I HAD to stop, walk for a couple minutes, and then run the second mile. I haven't been running that often since then but every time I do it's the same. Last night I set a goal of 1.5 miles. I did it, and it didn't kill me, but I definitely couldn't have kept going for double that distance!

I'm signed up for another 5k next month and I'm starting to get nervous. I have a plan - I'm aiming to get up to 2 miles this week, then 2.5 next week, and so on until the week before the race I should be up to running 3.5 miles nonstop. Then the 5k will feel easy, hopefully! But I just don't understand why I could do it before, but not now! Does anyone else find running is much easier during an actual race? I'm so confused haha.

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My race times are always better than training. I typically train on a treadmill which is very different.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Events bring a certain energy to your run, and your adrenaline starts flowing- keep training and you will be just fine!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Where did you run? Are you doing running on a treadmill or outside? Running a cruise ship and running outside are also totally different so you have to factor in that as well
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Where did you run? Are you doing running on a treadmill or outside? Running a cruise ship and running outside are also totally different so you have to factor in that as well

The run wasn't on the ship, it was outside on an Island in the Bahamas! And I run outdoors here in Florida where it is actually very similar :tongue:
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You might be running too fast. Do you use anything that will tell you your pace?
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta the day before I run long distances. For some reason I have more energy and less joint pain during the run.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    How's your pace during your training runs? Are you going at or faster than your race pace and burning yourself out?

And race day endorphins are a wonderful thing. My fastest 5k race was 24:59. I don't think I've ever been faster than 27:00 when just running by myself.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Obviously the key is getting drunk before you run.....I'm impressed, I would never have made it out of bed.
  • ValerieMomof2
    Options

The run wasn't on the ship, it was outside on an Island in the Bahamas! And I run outdoors here in Florida where it is actually very similar :tongue:

Yeah, that was totally not how I read that so ignore me LOL
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You may be trying to run faster than your 5K pace and wearing down easily. It could be fatigue from exercise you did the day before. You also might not be running on the right amount or right kind of fuel - I definitely have a sweet spot where I'm well-fed but not too full, balanced between protein and carbs. I can't run in the mornings on an empty stomach to save my life.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the race bring about an energy that is hard to match. Most people will run faster in that environment. Are you trying to match that pace? I would recommend going a bit slower. That's pretty quick for somebody who isn't used to running. Maybe check out the C25K program also. i am not familiar with it, but I have seen others on here who swear by it. You do not have to start at the beginning. Check out the plan and start at the place where you feel comfortable. Stick with it...you will do it!
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    You might be running too fast. Do you use anything that will tell you your pace?
    How's your pace during your training runs? Are you going at or faster than your race pace and burning yourself out?

And race day endorphins are a wonderful thing. My fastest 5k race was 24:59. I don't think I've ever been faster than 27:00 when just running by myself.

My pace seems to be about the same. On race day I was at just above 9 mins/mile and when I run alone I'm usually anywhere between 8:30-9:30/mile. Last night when I did the 1.5 I was running around 8:30/mile. So slightly faster but not by much!

And yeah, I guess I'll chalk it up to race day endorphins, haha!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Not to burst your bubble, but a lot of "5ks" aren't actually 3.1 miles long. A lot of the run/walks that are for charities can be a lot shorter in actual distance. I wear my GPS for them now and have had some be as short as 2 miles. That may or may not be the case with yours. Also I do think the race atmosphere can give you a boost that you don't see in training. Just keep doing what you are doing and you should be fine for your next race. Maybe give a little of the C25K training a try and just start in the later weeks instead of week 1 since you already have some endurance built up.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Are you eating your exercise calories?

You might have done well on the cruise run because you'd been eating more. Running--even just 3.1 miles--is an endurance event. Make sure you're fueling yourself properly for it.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Obviously the key is getting drunk before you run.....I'm impressed, I would never have made it out of bed.

Right?! I've never been so impressed with myself tbh. I guess I'll just stay up all night with a bottle of tequila again :wink:
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Not to burst your bubble, but a lot of "5ks" aren't actually 3.1 miles long. A lot of the run/walks that are for charities can be a lot shorter in actual distance. I wear my GPS for them now and have had some be as short as 2 miles. That may or may not be the case with yours. Also I do think the race atmosphere can give you a boost that you don't see in training. Just keep doing what you are doing and you should be fine for your next race. Maybe give a little of the C25K training a try and just start in the later weeks instead of week 1 since you already have some endurance built up.

Dude, that stinks! I don't *think* that was the case here, though; I went with my uncle who is an experienced runner (he does races all the time) and he said his time was right on point with his usual 5Ks. He didn't say anything about it seeming short. I hope it wasn't! (Also, they had a marker every 1K, so I don't think they could do that without flat out lying right?) Also, I did C25K a while back. I liked it but I didn't finish the whole thing because I started focusing on weight training more than cardio. I may check it out again for the next few weeks though!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Slow down to a pace at which you can finish the distance. On race day you will probably get all pumped up and go faster, but focus on distance first and speed second. Also, ideally train to run 4-5 miles in preparation for you 5k. Then 3.1 won't seem as long.

Good Luck!
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    I'd say well done for doing it the first time, but you need to be consistent if you want to increase your distance in the long term.

If you're not running often, you wont be able to maintain let alone increase distance (and certainly not without risking injury). You need to run at least once or twice a week to maintain your cardiovascular fitness.

Have fun!!!
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I call it mob running. When you are in a crowd of people and everyone starts running you run too. In the beginning you will flow with the large group and then it thins out. That's where your training should kick in if it hasn't already and sets your pace for the rest of the race. The link below might help. Good luck.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance

P.S. After I ran my 1st 5k I was so sore I barely did any walking and no running for a month. Regular training, & having a training plan is always a big help. :)
  • ValerieMomof2
    Options
    8:30 a mile is actually significantly different than a 9 min mile so you were basically doing speed work in my opinion. I train around a 9-9:30 but when race, am between 8:30-8:50 due to adrenaline and the race atmosphere. Try to slow down when training