Couch to 5k

Options
So it's been about 3 months of dieting, two months of going to the gym consistently and I am looking at my bucket list item I made years ago- run a 5k. I've completed lots of 5k's but I've never been able to run one.

I'm doing cardio on the treadmill 4-5 times a week, usually at a max speed of 3.6 and I vary the incline from 3 to 8.

But I guess I need to go for speed, versus incline, to be able to run/jog a 5k. I downloaded an app on my phone, that helps you train from couch to 5k in 8 weeks....my question is.....it says to walk for x seconds, jog for x seconds for 20 minutes. What is considered a walk speed and a jog speed on the treadmill? Or does it just depend on the person?

Replies

• houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    I believe it varies by person, but it could be that I'm just a very slow walker. I'm super short and my walk speed is about 2.8 on the treadmill and about 3.6 for jogging. But my "jogging" speed is often a quick walk for my husband and tall friends.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, and most go as slowly as needed in order to complete each session when going through c25k. I did it last year, but did it all outside, so not sure what to tell you about the treadmill. I'd say just start, the first week isn't too bad if you've been active so it might be a good time to see how you do with various walk/run speeds. But as the weeks and run times progress, don't be afraid of slowing down - slow running is still running, and I remember some days really shuffling through some of the longer runs. Speed will come later. :smile:
  • claudia2390
    Options
    I started on these podcasts about 2 weeks ago. Still on the first one though, going to start again because I ran on a bad treadmill and gave myself a shin splint. I've never been able to run for more than about 20 seconds in my whole life, so I was really skeptical about it really. But honestly, my stamina has improved even by doing the first one twice so far. I'm running faster and it's not as hard as it was the first time, it's amazing! If I complete it, I'm aiming to run the Race For Life in June, which is a 5K :)
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The speed depends entirely on yourself. You want to push yourself of course but not to the point where you want to give up. I do the program outside on a high school track and some of the jogging time I am running and sometimes I am just jogging enough to be considered more than walking. Good luck!!
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just started using the app, too. I jog at 4.7-4.8 at a 1.5 incline.

I don't know if that's good or not, but it's working for me so I'm happy.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
  • jolamb1981
    Options
    Hi hun i did this programme and never believed before starting that i could ever run for 5k, it took sometime and i am very slow (sometimes i think a snail would go faster) but over time i completed it and did 5k race for life in 35 mins. Once you get into the programme a personal trainer told me the best way to increase speed is to incorporate some interval running after completing the couch-5k that will increase your running speed. Hope that helps i plan to start the programme again in the next couple of months Good luck xx
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree that it really does depend on the person. For me, right now? I walk - walk faster. I jogged for the first speed-up section, then alternated walking and walking faster.
  • Cara85K
    Cara85K Posts: 122
    Options
    On the treadmill I've been walking about 3.2ish and then running about 5.2ish. I"m in the 3rd week now.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I tried again tonight and I DID IT. I just slowed down a bit, my brisk walk was 3.0mph and the jog was 3.6mph. I just think I was trying to do too much, too fast before. I can't wait for W1D2 on Thursday.