Too much fat,even from good source,can it be bad??

Options
Hi! I have a little question,I hope someone can help out.I always eat more fat than I should according to my macros.Its mainly from olive oil,nuts...but I still wonder if I should cut out a bit.Any ideas or advices?

Replies

• tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Too much of anything can be bad. There have actually been cases of people dying from drinking too much water.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You're probably okay, but hitting your macros should be a daily goal.
  • snowflake266
    Options
    Too much of anything can be bad. There have actually been cases of people dying from drinking too much water.

I am quite sure my almonds are not planning to kill me any time soon :laugh: My fat intake fits my calories, just not my macros, so I am not sure if I should cut down a bit.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Depending how much "too much" is, you're probably fine. The only thing about fat is that it's very calorie dense (9 kcal/gram) whereas carbs and protein are less dense (4kcal/gram). I'm not sure how fat metabolizes compare to carbs or protein.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If it's excess calories or not allowing you to get adequate protein then yes.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You have everything set to private... what are your goals? What do you have your fat set to?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

The water issue only happens when you're guzzling too much at one time.

Back to the original question, though, it depends on how your macros are set up. I eat 50% (over 100 g/day) of my calories from the fat sources you described.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are your macros set to? Basically, you want a well rounded, balanced diet...if you're getting too much of any one macro nutrient then you are probably not getting enough of something else that your body needs. That said, low carbers often have diets high in fat, as well as protein (and obviously low in carbs)...when you single out a macro, something has to give.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on fat too! Usually from nuts, olive oil, avocados. I don't think it's a problem.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far over you consistently go. In the long term, "too much" of anything is bad.
  • snowflake266
    Options
    My macros are:
    40% protein
    30% carbs
    30% fats

I never hit my carbs macro
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 45% Fat / 30% Carbs / 25% Protein. It's the way I naturally eat, and if I cut my fat too much my hari and skin and nails get really dry, my fingers crack and bleed, and my hair breaks. To me, first is Protein, then Fats, and fill in with Carbs. I get about 95g of protein, and right around 100ish g of carbs.

This also keeps me happy and full.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Too much of a good thing can be bad.

Fat contains calories; nine per gram to be exact. At the end of the day total calories still matter, and if you’re eating more than you burn then it's a problem.

Please don’t mistake this as my advocating a low fat diet. That’s just as bad, if not worse, than eating too much fat.

A minimum of 20% of your calories should come from healthy fats like pastured egg yolks, wild caught salmon, grass fed beef and coconut oil to ensure optimal health. Just be careful about going overboard with it.

Good luck.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    too much, yes. Is what you are having too much? No. It looks as though the majority of yours is from olive oile and nuts so I would absolutely not worry. You are doing great, keep it up!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Multiply your weight (total) by .35. You should eat at least that many grams of fat. At least. So if you go over, that is ok.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP default macros then you are eating TOO LITTLE fat. Really. By all means, go over. Even better, adjust your own macros to get at least 50% of your calories from fat. I have my set at 70% but I try for 80%. I do it for my HEALTH.

No, healthy fats are not bad, in any amount. The problem is with what the general public has been led to believe are "healthy" fats. Highly refined vegetable oils have only been in the human diet for a very short time. I do NOT think they are "heart healthy" and there is rising evidence that they may be carcinogenic (that research is NOT new, just ignored). But food processors can make bold claims that are unfounded in science, such as Becel claiming how their margarine will fend off heart disease. No.

Do what works for you. For me, my high fat diet has been nothing short of miraculous in regards to eliminating disease and stimulating fat loss.

Do some indepth research into how fat works in the body, and about the types of fat (natural saturated fat are actually the healthiest), rather than just trusting government and food industry advice. They've built their argument on very ambiguous research and ignored a vast amount of other research.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Look at fat and protein goals as minimums
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP default macros then you are eating TOO LITTLE fat. Really. By all means, go over. Even better, adjust your own macros to get at least 50% of your calories from fat. I have my set at 70% but I try for 80%. I do it for my HEALTH.

No, healthy fats are not bad, in any amount. The problem is with what the general public has been led to believe are "healthy" fats. Highly refined vegetable oils have only been in the human diet for a very short time. I do NOT think they are "heart healthy" and there is rising evidence that they may be carcinogenic (that research is NOT new, just ignored). But food processors can make bold claims that are unfounded in science, such as Becel claiming how their margarine will fend off heart disease. No.

Do what works for you. For me, my high fat diet has been nothing short of miraculous in regards to eliminating disease and stimulating fat loss.

Do some indepth research into how fat works in the body, and about the types of fat (natural saturated fat are actually the healthiest), rather than just trusting government and food industry advice. They've built their argument on very ambiguous research and ignored a vast amount of other research.

Not bad in any amount eh? Care to substantiate that?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Too much of a good thing can be bad.

Fat contains calories; nine per gram to be exact. At the end of the day total calories still matter, and if you’re eating more than you burn then it's a problem.

Please don’t mistake this as my advocating a low fat diet. That’s just as bad, if not worse, than eating too much fat.

A minimum of 20% of your calories should come from healthy fats like pastured egg yolks, wild caught salmon, grass fed beef and coconut oil to ensure optimal health. Just be careful about going overboard with it.

Good luck.

Not advocating a low fat diet? A minimum of 20%??? Even 30% is far too low. The gig is up with the low fat nonsense. The gig is also up with how "healthy" processed vegetable oils are.

But totally agreed with your food recommendations, except one cannot go "over-board" on those foods. Eggs, animals, and coconut oil are healthy and satiating and do not stimulate over-eating. Other "foods" are the culprit for that.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Look at fat and protein goals as minimums

I like this answer!!