Las Vegas for 4 days--help!

Options
Going to be in Las Vegas on the strip for four days next week. Am finally starting to feel in control and don't want to lose that. What can I do to make sure I don't blow it? I'm vegetarian so I can't ask for grilled chicken and veg at dinner... I know I can have a packet of oatmeal in the hotel room for breakfast... but what about those other meals?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the BUFFET! The are loads of great restaurants with healthy offerings( there was a great one at the Aladin but I forgot the name). Be sure to ask for sauces on the side. Also go out and dance the night away. Lots of exercise walking up and down the strip seeing the free shows.
  • jeffwilcox55
    Options
    Order what you want, skip the buffets, excercise (at least take walks) and chalk it up to a slight blip.
  • zoomerrs
    zoomerrs Posts: 21
    Options
    I go to Vegas once, sometimes twice a year, so I know exactly how you're feeling. The last trip I took was for one week in Sept/12 and I did not gain a pound and didn't feel I deprived myself either. We walked everywhere, probably 10+ miles per day, enjoyed whatever food I wanted, but only ever ate half the meal, limited alcohol and drank a lot of water. Good luck!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Vegas last week. I was also there for 4 days. Honestly, just enjoy yourself. I understand you want to stay in control. As a vegetarian it will be helpful for you to stay in control as you won't be tempted by the bad bad meats haha. But, if you'll be on the strip then do a lot of walking, not a lot of drinking lol.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Order what you want, skip the buffets, excercise (at least take walks) and chalk it up to a slight blip.

Agree. Especially with the "order what you want". I used to feel "prima donna ish" but the food industry is a service industry after all and many, if not most, servers are happy to accommodate any reasonable request. Yesterday at lunch, I asked that fish be grilled or pan seared, not fried, and that I just have vegetables (they weren't an option) instead of the pre-designated sides. The server just said "sure, no problem" and that was that.

I tip a little extra at places I regularly patronize and as a result, servers at those places are even more willing to accommodate me. :) Good luck and enjoy Vegas! (And if you go over a little, I doubt the world will end. :)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Are you flying? I always pack some bars and a few apples (one for each day I'm there) so I'm assured a healthy snack/breakfast. If your driving you can bring a few more things along. I don't eat as much in Vegas...I tend to always be walking somewhere, shopping, or gambling too long and having a few free drinks...which tends to kill my appetite.

Know what drink you will order...nothing worse than ordering your favorite when you could have had something less caloric.

Dont be afraid to to buffets if they are cheaper...the variety of food is better usually. Fill up on a big salad, then go for the prime rib or chicken.

Drink water!

Go to a nice restaurant or two if you have the money to spend. Enjoy your food! The portions will probably be smaller anyway.

Share meals when possible.

Have fun!
  • MinervaTK
    MinervaTK Posts: 20
    Options
    It's Vegas, and it's only 4 days. Go have fun! Get back on track when you get home. (Also, I agree with the walking and dancing while there!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I go to Vegas several times a year. To me, the buffets are the way to go. You can little tastes of a lot of stuff - including the desserts. My favorite buffets are at the Wynn and Encore. Amazing. Just enjoy it.

I usually eat breakfast in a restaurant, then a big buffet around 3-5 o'clock. I have a few drinks, walk all over the place, hit the pool, and come home none the worse for wear. It's four days. You can't get in trouble in four days, really. Not in Vegas, with all the walking.

Oh, not sure the pools will be open yet...maybe, though.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am heading to Vegas in 2 weeks. I am liking what i am hearing. In my experience going there, I walk for hours on end and then we dance the night way. I am certain that whatever I take in, I will be burning off.

I am also planning on taking my Resistance band to get a mini workout done in the mornings.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was there in Sept, stayed downtown. I ate and drank whatever I wanted, but every morning walked for about an hour, and was shocked when I got back home and didn't gain any weight. Just enjoy yourself
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options

I am also planning on taking my Resistance band to get a mini workout done in the mornings.

:laugh: I used to have that plan too. Never actually used them, took them to Vegas a couple times. Redonkulous for me to think I was actually going to make the time to spend more time in my room.

I think I even took them to the Bahamas one time. What was I thinking? Waste of suitcase space. I could have taken mor socks or underwear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've actually noticed very little issue with weight control when I'm vacationing. I tend to eat what I want and drink what I want, but I'm always moving...walking from here to there and everywhere...and just generally way more active than I would be at home, going to my office everyday and sitting on my *kitten*.. Just enjoy.