exercise or diet or both...confused

Options
I read (in a thread that I can't find now) that exercise really doesn't help you lose weight, it's what we eat and that cardio just aids in health- not in these exact words, but that's what I got from it. I read this 3 days after I took up walking and I'm thinking what the heck? If walking or any exercise for that matter doesn't aid in weight loss, why am I doing it? I admire all of you who do exercise and I think it's great, but I really have to push myself to do it and while I"m motivated to walk, at the same time am I just wasting my time? I would like to do some toning as well, but I really want to lose weight!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Following the calorie goals MFP has given you when you set up your profile will allow you to lose weight without any exercise.

Exercise helps your muscles, joints, etc etc. Cardio works your heart and lungs... weight lifting helps the rest of your muscles. You don't need exercise for weight loss. You need exercise for health. The only time you need exercise for weight loss is if you don't change your eating amounts and therefore exercise to make the deficit.

The problem with a calorie deficit is you lose muscle along wtih water and fat along the way. Exercise... well heavy lifting will help lower the amount you lose.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There's no wasting your time in regards to your health. Weight loss is calories in < calories out. Exercise, namely cardio, can help you burn more calories and make your caloric deficit larger. Your diet is the most important thing in weight/fat loss.

However, don't think you're wasting your time with exercise. And as for "toning," if you mean strength training then I will argue that it is more important than cardio, and cardio should be done a couple days a week to supplement your overall fitness goals.

Again, HOWEVER, if you truly hate exercise, then just pick something you enjoy doing. It's much more satisfying to both eat right and exercise than just eat right and lay around all day. But if you're just in it for weight loss and not overall health and you truly loathe exercise, then just make sure you're eating at a deficit.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    "Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Fitness happens at the gym."

You will lose weight by maintaining a calorie deficit.

Exercising burns calories, so a "side effect" would be a calorie deficit- assuming you don't eat more than you burn. The *primary* benefits of exercise are improved health. Heart and lungs LOVE cardio, and you get tone from strength training.

Short answer? Do both.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Excercise helps build a healthy body while the calorie deficite helps lose the weight, since I started running and really working hard at it I have found it has helped me lose weight, not sure if it is the actual running or the positive feeling the excercise gives me.
    It depends how you want to look at it, but the way I see it, combined you will have a happier more balanced lifestyle with a fitter healthier body.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    So does strength training burn more calories than a cardio workout? and THANK YOU for all your answers above!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Exercise extends your life even if you are overweight. If all you care about is how much you weigh, then just eat less. If you want to live a long, happy, healthy life you will exercise.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Both.

Eating right with caloric deficit gives you less calories to burn and you will lose weight.

Exercise helps your body burn more calories. First to do the exercise and then to maintain muscle mass. It also improves efficiency of you body as a whole. So cardio and strength training (a little of both goes a long way)
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Whenever you hear diet, you hear exercise.They go together. I have seen alot of co-workers who lose weight with diet alone
    and the next year they are bigger than ever... Exercise with the proper diet will get you where you want to be.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read. I remember the thread you mentioned and it created quite a storm. Sometimes people just start a thread to get a reaction.

When you exercise your metabolism stays high for a good period afterwards, so it's more than just the immediate calorie usage. You also feel good, your muscles firm up so you look better, and your body is healthier. But do find something you enjoy. It might be a dance class, walking with your SO, or even a gym. I've always hated exercising and sports but I love my bellydance class, and the friends that come with it, and the solitude of walking through the neighborhood looking for signs of spring.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help you lose weight. It just doesn't matter as much as diet does.

You can lose weight through exercise alone. The reason most people don't may be because exercising doesn't burn as much off as people think and exercising can make you hungrier than if you were sedentary. You have to run for half an hour to burn of a single donut. Many will run half an hour and think they earned two donuts.

So, you regularly see people who focus on exercise to lose weight and fail.

There is a database of data on people who lost weight which finds that successful weight loss is associated strongly with diet and successful weight maintenance it associated strongly with exercise.

That doesn't mean that exercise doesn't aid in weight loss or that diet doesn't have a lot to do with maintenance.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Think "diet" for the short term ...... and exercise for the long term

Diet .... reduce calories to get rid of xx pounds

Exercise ... do this for life to maintain your good health. You've heard "use it or lose it" ..... this applies to muscles as well. As we age we gradually lose muscle mass ... over time your metablolism will slow down as a result.

Exercise will also "shape" your finished project. Who wants to lose 20 pounds and still be all jiggly?

Cardio burns lots of calories ... while you're doing it. Muscles that are well worked out are "buzzing" for many hours afterwards. You need BOTH for optimum health.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you need a calorie deficit to lose weight (i.e. eat less than you burn off) - you can do that without exercise, you can even do that eating nothing but twinkies.

you need to eat healthy foods and do exercise for optimum health and good body composition. Body composition means having strong bones, strong muscles and a healthy body fat percentage. Good body composition = looking really good. Optimal health means feeling good, having lots of energy, and being generally fit and strong.

so if you focus *only* on scale weight and not at all on health or body composition, you will lose weight, but it's unlikely that you'll like how you look at your goal weight.... however if you focus on all three... calorie deficit, healthy food, exercise... you're much more likely to not only like how you look but also like that you feel fit, healthy and strong too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    yeahthat.gif
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh 20 pounds more right now than I did a few years ago after losing some weight through diet alone. Now I also exercise 6 days per week - and wear the same size clothes I did after that period of dieting. Also - I gained that weight back along with a whole bunch more. Being mindful of what I eat and exercising (I do cardio, strength and flexibility stuff) I am losing weight faster than when I did weight watchers alone and I look and feel better. Definitely incorporate exercise!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    3 days of walking and you're already ready to give up? Sounds like you are looking for someone to tell you it doesn't matter.

It is true, you can lose all of your weight with diet. However, you're not gonna look very good at the end of it, and you probably won't be very healthy either.

Also keep in mind that studies have shown that of people that maintain their weight loss over 5 years, 89% of those people have some daily physical activity for 30 minutes a day. Only 10% of those people have been able to keep up their weight loss with diet alone...
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight by calorie deficit alone, and I can tell you it SUCKS! I felt tired constantly and I lost a lot of muscle. The basic equation is energy in and energy out - with the "energy" being calories. Also, by building lean body mass (muscle) you will burn more calories even when you are not exercising.

Here's an example. I did a boot camp last year and went from a size 14 to a size 4. My first 2 sizes I lost through calorie deficit as I explained above. When I started boot camp, I followed a very strict eating plan which consisted of clean foods, limited sugar (unless it was natural sugar from fruits or whole grains), lean protein, and quality carbs. It was harder than anything I'd ever done. I was tempted constantly, but I figured if I was paying that much for boot camp I owed it to myself to do it 100%. I had far more success at boot camp than some of my friends did who just did the boot camp and ate what they wanted with "healthy in mind." By the time I was done I'd hit a size 4.

Another thing to consider: you're going to be able to eat more calories (and SHOULD eat more calories) if you're exercising regularly. Walking is a fantastic start, but I would recommend incorporating some type of strength training to gain some of that muscle. It could be as simple as some squats, lunges, push-ups, crunches, dips, etc at some point during your walk. For years I was just like you. I hated exercise, it was a chore, and I was not motivated in the least to do it. I tried just counting calories, and would quickly get frustrated when a workplace potluck or family gathering took place when it was too tempting to stick to my limits. I was constantly frustrated and would give up easily.

I can burn anywhere from 700 to 1000 calories per workout. I don't get to the gym as often as I'd like, but I always know if I have a tough day nutritionally, I can take care of it with a trip to the gym. Life is all about balance.

:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You really need both for health. It is true that you can lose weight without exercise...I lost my first 15 Lbs that way...just a calorie deficit in your diet. This is also why you can (and should) eat your exercise calories back on MFP and you still lose weight. However, eating right is really only half of the equation when it comes to your overall health...that other half would be exercise of some kind, even if it's just a walk 3-5 times per week for 30 minutes.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    3 days of walking and you're already ready to give up? Sounds like you are looking for someone to tell you it doesn't matter.

You may want to read the post again :) never said anything about giving up and if it didn't matter, I wouldn't be asking for explanation. You may be a pro at weight loss; however, I'm not and with all respect, I'm trying and it does matter :wink:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Your quote was...
    I read this 3 days after I took up walking and I'm thinking what the heck? If walking or any exercise for that matter doesn't aid in weight loss, why am I doing it?

To me that sounds like you really have no desire to do it.

My post wasn't intended to offend, it was intended to knock some sense in ya woman! Instead of trying to talk yourself out of it, just do it! It doesn't matter what you know or don't know about weight loss, you have to know that a balanced diet and sensible exercise DOES work!!!
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "When you exercise your metabolism stays high for a good period afterwards, so it's more than just the immediate calorie usage."

This is overblown bro-science.

Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) is the caloric after-burn of a metabolism that stays elevated -- or “revved up. EPOC does exist, but it’s been vastly overblown.

"In a 2006 article in the Journal of Sports Sciences, researchers from the School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences at the University of South Australia did find that more intense exercise creates a higher EPOC, but even so: “EPOC comprises only 6-15% of the net total oxygen cost [calories burned] of the exercise.” For example, if someone burns 1,000 total calories via intense and prolonged exercise, then at most an additional 150 calories result from EPOC."

Most people burn 300-500 calories during a good average workout. That would mean about an extra 25-50 calories because of EPOC.