TRUE OR FALSE

Options
Somebody told me a while ago that if you come to a standstill with your weight loss to follow these steps ..before some body has a rant I'm posting because I don't know if it's true or not and was not Going to do it unless it's true! Right here goes .. Eat as little as you can one day,eat a lot the next an the day after that as little as you can and drink loads of water an it will shock your body to start burning fat again and do that for about 4 days ? It's probly a load of bull but I'm so uneducated in this department so help please? If not any tips?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Its called Intermittent Fasting, some people do it others don't.. There is no True or False answer.. Try it and see if it works.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Agreed this is not a true or false answer.

I know that a week of eating my TDEE and then going back to a deficit broke my 9 week plateau.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Agreed this is not a true or false answer.

I know that a week of eating my TDEE and then going back to a deficit broke my 9 week plateau.

The problem with me is I use to eat 3000+ cals a day but 500 of that would be good food an the rest was fast foods sweets crips chocolate ECt but now I eating proper food I can just manage 1200 cals I have to drink a few glasses of milk some days to make my cals up .. Iv lost 35lbs eating 1200 cals since September but I gained 10 over Xmas an 10 over the first week in feb .. I'm back to normal now but don't seem to be losing I'm stuck at 154lbs iv only got 14lbs to go
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that when I plateau for a long period of time that I will eat at maintinance for 3 days or so while upping my activity level (eating the calories i burn so that i am atill at maintinance calories). Then after 3 days I go back to my caloric deficite and the weight tends to drop pretty quickly.
  • livingfortheone
    livingfortheone Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Then there is that military diet that lasts three or four days before going back to regular eating patterns.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that when I plateau for a long period of time that I will eat at maintinance for 3 days or so while upping my activity level (eating the calories i burn so that i am atill at maintinance calories). Then after 3 days I go back to my caloric deficite and the weight tends to drop pretty quickly.

This seems to work for me too. When I dieted in my younger days, my dad (a doctor) would always tell me to have a day where I ate whatever I wanted, within reason, and then go back to the deficit the next day. It always worked. Now, I'm trying to lose healthfully, so every 5lbs, I'll take a maintenance break for a week. It does not seem to hurt weight loss at all and like the above poster, it helps jump start my progress. Just my experience....
  • HotMummyMission
    Options

This seems to work for me too. When I dieted in my younger days, my dad (a doctor) would always tell me to have a day where I ate whatever I wanted, within reason, and then go back to the deficit the next day. It always worked. Now, I'm trying to lose healthfully, so every 5lbs, I'll take a maintenance break for a week. It does not seem to hurt weight loss at all and like the above poster, it helps jump start my progress. Just my experience....

I have cheat days at the weekend though Friday night and sat day are cheat days I eat about 2500 then might be more I don't lose and I don't gain .. I don't really have a diet just eat my macros an stay at 1200 a day and I'm fine but not really losing now
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have much to lose (congratulations!) I would suggest you take a full diet break for 3 or 4 weeks to let your body rest and reset (metabolism, hormone levels, etc). Then start back dieting at a very slight deficit form your maintenance (between 250 to 500 cals). When you get close to your goal weight, your deficit will need to be smaller and 250 to 500 cals a day will give you .5 to 1 pound a week loss.
    You can also try switching up your exercise program, calorie cycling, etc. I would suggest that you start lifting weights (if you do not already).
    Sometimes our "ideal weight" is not our bodies ideal weight. We get fixated on a scale number because we don't like what we see. The best way to change what you see is through weight lifting. No other form of exercise alters your body composition (in a good way) like weight lifting. Because a pound of muscle takes up less space on our bodies than a pound of fat does, our size can go down even as your weight goes up! So your eyes are pleased and you are not hung up on scale weight.

Also, at 1200 a day you are probably under-eating. Big time. Take a full diet break and figure out how much you can eat without gaining and go form there. Your body will thank you for it.
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    im not sure whether its true or false as what works for one might not neccessairly wrk for another, my friend does intermit fasting and she likes it and seems to work for her, i was told that every so many weeks to have a week of eating at maintanence and then go back to the 20% off maybe try that hun ive not tried it yet myself though
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    Since you don't have much to lose (congratulations!) I would suggest you take a full diet break for 3 or 4 weeks to let your body rest and reset (metabolism, hormone levels, etc). Then start back dieting at a very slight deficit form your maintenance (between 250 to 500 cals). When you get close to your goal weight, your deficit will need to be smaller and 250 to 500 cals a day will give you .5 to 1 pound a week loss.
    You can also try switching up your exercise program, calorie cycling, etc. I would suggest that you start lifting weights (if you do not already).
    Sometimes our "ideal weight" is not our bodies ideal weight. We get fixated on a scale number because we don't like what we see. The best way to change what you see is through weight lifting. No other form of exercise alters your body composition (in a good way) like weight lifting. Because a pound of muscle takes up less space on our bodies than a pound of fat does, our size can go down even as your weight goes up! So your eyes are pleased and you are not hung up on scale weight.

Also, at 1200 a day you are probably under-eating. Big time. Take a full diet break and figure out how much you can eat without gaining and go form there. Your body will thank you for it.

Thankyou and I find it hard becuse I force myself to eat that 1200 a day in good food it's so easy in junk processed food but saooooo much food in heathly stuff I eat lodes an couldn't eat anymore I'm matching up to my macros already with what I eat now
  • scanners107
    scanners107 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do this, have a cheat meal and that should sort you out.