CYCLING & chunky legs..

Options
2»

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are so funny! I would love to have this problem. I can't put weight or bulk ( muscle ) on my legs. My calves are soooo skinny, even though when I flex I have great muscle! My thighs stay the same no matte dhow much I gain or lose! When I'm slim, like now, this is an asset, but when I get heavy it's not pretty (think of a tomato on stilts!).

Let's celebrate all shapes and just work to get fit and healthy!

All the best to you.

I am built exactly the same way. We are called apple shaped, but I am more of a barrel on sticks. lol! I am trying to build up my legs, they are pathetic!

I read somewhere that when we are slim our body shape is called a lollipop. And that it is a very desirable shape!?! The article I read called it "sex on a stick"! Ha,really!?! When I'm feeling discouraged I think of that!!!

Anyway, I say once again, there is beauty in every shape when it is well maintained, strong and healthy.

Once, when sitting around with a group of women (all middle aged) who were bemoaning the fact that we no longer looked like the teenage lifeguards at the pool where we were congregating (with our kids), one wise woman spoke up and said, "I'm thankful for my strong, healthy legs. They allow me to do all the things I want, and my husband likes them just fine. Perhaps that's what we all should be thinking of." I remember that every time I start obsessing over small flaws in my body. Instead I think, "I'm healthy and strong and working to get healthier and stronger."

I'm not saying that I never fall into the vanity trap (right now I'm trying to lose 5 or 6 vanity pounds,). I just want to encourage us all to put it in perspective.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you don't have muscular legs, you need to lose all the bulky fat on your calves. Fat makes you look bulky not muscle, your legs are fat.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't think cycling will be the reason your legs look "chunky". You will look "chunky" doing any muscle building exercise if your genetic predisposition is to look "chunky". Take a look at my profile pic to see one example of mountain bike legs. All cyclist come in different shapes and sizes.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am experienced at both being a male human being and as an athlete and gym enthusiast.

I have never... and I mean NEVER seen a woman who was not blown up on steroids with lean legs that were "too muscular" or "too bulky". I've known world-class athletes, including a woman who threw the discus in the Olympics.. yet none of them had "bulky" legs.

So the woman with "too muscular" legs continues to be, to me, as real as bigfoot.

Muscular legs on women is SO hot.. and it looks SO good in jeans or in a short skirt or form-fitting dress. Looks so much better than fat and so much better than skinnyfat. Muscle is also very metabolically active, so if you build leg muscles, they turn into calorie-burning factories.

I agree. I would add that I've certainly seen women with bulky legs that were otherwise HWP. However those legs were almost certainly a function of their genetics; the chances that they resulted from cycling, or weightlifting or any other athletic/fitness type activity is very, very small.

^^This!! I read this after posting my response!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    At 274 pounds I could see defined muscles in my calves when I flexed them even though they were covered in fat. As I have lost weight they have slimmed down because they were covered in fat. The bulk on your calves is fat on top of muscle. Fat. Happily for you, what muscle you do have is probably helping add shape to your legs, but they are "bulky" because they are fat.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that cycling is the ONLY exercise that helped me to lean out and LOVE my chunky legs. Before that, at the age of 27, I had NEVER seen my ligaments/tendons around my knees but after taking up biking, my muscles became sleeker, my calves are fierce, my butt looks great (if I do say so myself,) and I can finally wear shorts, (part the way my legs have changed and part the boost in confidence,). I'm not going to lie and say that it made me have a "thigh gap" or that the cellulite vanished, but it really helped my muscles to "pop" versus the way that they always looked like stuffed sausages, (even when I was 125lbs in high school,)

Plus, it's just so dang fun to bike. Don't let old myths scare you away from it!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have the same issue. I swear my legs are more than half of my body weight, they build muscle like crazy. I have man calves and can't wear 90% of knee-high boots :(

Me too! I weigh 194lbs, I'm 5'7" and I have a 32" waist! I look at other people who weigh the same as me and they usually have quite a few extra inches on their waist and I'm like 'why do I weigh so friggin much??' until I look down lol. And then when I work out they get firmer and more toned - but not smaller!

And yeah knee high boots...I look for that little elastic strip that some of them have , if they don't have it there's pretty much no point in trying them on!
  • jehavin
    Options
    Bump! I have the same issue. I swear my legs are more than half of my body weight, they build muscle like crazy. I have man calves and can't wear 90% of knee-high boots :(

Me too! I weigh 194lbs, I'm 5'7" and I have a 32" waist! I look at other people who weigh the same as me and they usually have quite a few extra inches on their waist and I'm like 'why do I weigh so friggin much??' until I look down lol. And then when I work out they get firmer and more toned - but not smaller!

And yeah knee high boots...I look for that little elastic strip that some of them have , if they don't have it there's pretty much no point in trying them on!

Me, too. I actually was able to fit into my first pair of knee high boots this summer and posted on fb that I was so surprised/excited that I felt I should buy my spin instructor dinner to celebrate and thank him!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've always had large legs (mostly big quads) but I have noticed my legs have gotten much more shapely and defined thanks to Spinning for almost a year now. Even with lifting a little, there's no bulking going on.

I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet but if you're planning on being in the seat for a while invest in some GOOD padded bike shorts/capris/pants whatever until your bajingo gets used to it. Also the make sure your bike shorts are long enough to protect your inner thighs too.

Cycling has been really good to me, I hope it's good to you too! :happy:
  • jehavin
    Options
    I've always had large legs (mostly big quads) but I have noticed my legs have gotten much more shapely and defined thanks to Spinning for almost a year now. Even with lifting a little, there's no bulking going on.

I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet but if you're planning on being in the seat for a while invest in some GOOD padded bike shorts/capris/pants whatever until your bajingo gets used to it. Also the make sure your bike shorts are long enough to protect your inner thighs too.

Cycling has been really good to me, I hope it's good to you too! :happy:

Yes! ****'s Sporting Goods has a nice Canari liner short that you can put under almost any pant. However, when I use the upright and recumbent stationary bikes at my gym, I don't need the biking shorts. Maybe I'm used to it, though? I *never* got used to a "real" or spin bike's seat, no matter how often I did it!

P.S. If you are looking to "shape" your legs even more, in addition to weighted squats/leg presses, I do calf raises and leg curls---strong hamstrings and calves (hypertrophied by weight bearing exercises,) will really transform (in a good way) the look of naturally thick legs.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend commutes on a bicycle - he hasn't driven in over 25 years other than when I'm too tired to. He has muscular legs with very well-defined calves (that look delicious when he wears a kilt!!) but not bulky as if he was a power-lifter.

However, his manager also rides bicycle a lot and he does look like a power lifter.

So...pun intended, your mileage may vary. :smile:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    all of you come to grips with reality, you have big fat calves. (sorry for being blunt) exercise and a caloric deficit is the only way, bulking is IMPOSSIBLE with out a caloric surplus FACT!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    all of you come to grips with reality, you have big fat calves. (sorry for being blunt) exercise and a caloric deficit is the only way, bulking is IMPOSSIBLE with out a caloric surplus FACT!!

Randy is right.
  • jehavin
    Options

LOL! What a guy thing to say---true or not ;) I guess you can kiss my big, fat calves (and any other big fat part of me that "bulked" unnecessarily).

I don't think any of us were saying that we grew "super calf muscles" that defy science. However, it is indisputable that genetics play into how fat accumulates on the body and, obviously if a person (especially a woman's) body tends to hold fat on the legs, developing or making gains with the muscle underneath fat will add extra "bulk" (even if it isn't the technical kind,). Like a previous poster stated, even with excess fat on the legs, (or calves,) if you are working/training muscles that previously were underused, then it will look better/more toned than before. I think that's what the previously posting ladies are striving for since obviously our legs are the part we have to work on the most.

Otherwise, why would many of us (who are eating at a deficit,) lose inches everywhere (even hips/thighs) except for our calves, some even gaining a half inch or so despite cycling and lifting? Is the fat sliding down to pool at our big, fat calves?

But still, your comment made me laugh, shake my head and be glad that I am (and have been) out of the dating pool.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Pardon my candor, but . . . you are a nut-case!
    Just teasing, but . . . I live in Sacramento. Until this past year, we used to get the Tour of California through here. I looked at many, many of those PROFESSIONAL cyclists, and they do not have big legs.
    These are guys -- first of all -- and, they are guys who have been riding long distances, hard, for many, many years, starting when they were young and at the peak of their testosterone levels. And they did not get huge legs.
    As a matter of fact, they look pretty skinny.
    Yes, there are track cyclists -- sprinters -- who have huge legs. But, they sprint and they lift weights. They specifically train to build muscle.
    But, the road cyclists? They ride too far and burn too many calories to build appreciable muscle.
    If you have big legs now, you will have big legs.
    If you have thin legs, you will have thin legs.
    But, I'll bet you, either way, that if you ride those legs will get more toned and toned legs generally look better!