Need a good at-home cardio workout

Options
I love going to the gym (I can't believe those words actually escaped my mouth! But it's so true now!) But with a busy job it's hard to be consistent. This means I only end up going about 3 times a week. I am not a morning person and have heard that morning workouts are harder on your body. I think I need to supplement my gym workouts with some at home cardio exercises. I want something challenging but that is not a program that I have to do for 90 days straight like P90x. Just something to do in the evenings when I get home late and the gym is closed. Any ideas? I am not in great shape and still over 200 lbs, but wanting to work hard!

Replies

• bmeck
    bmeck Posts: 1
    Options
    jog around your neighborhood for 20 minutes
  • karenga
    karenga Posts: 28
    Options
    I have bought a step and use it at home in the evenings while watching tv.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Jump rope! I love jumping rope. Work your way up to how long you can go straight, alternating jumping on one leg and then the other in between two-leg jumping. I pring my iHome outside with me and jump to music.
  • tairui2009
    tairui2009 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Any of the Beachbody program DVDs are great ~ I lost almost 30 pounds so far... great stuff! They've got a program for each goal/fitness level... from kids to seniors :)
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    Get some of Jillian Michaels DVDs... :-)

I have the 30 Day Shred, I don't do it everyday, so mine will take longer than 30 days Im sure!

She will get your sweating hard!
  • rjm8185
    rjm8185 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVD's. They come in 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 miles.
    They really are great fun and you can push it as much as you want, or take it easier.
    I'm doing the mile or 2 mles at the moment, you only have to follow a few steps for 15 or 30 minutes

We're starting a challenge on monday to walk so many miles in a month. You can set your own target. Its great fun

You can watch a mile walk DVD on youtube.com
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Get the Wii active...seriously....best help!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Pick up running! Very challening and you can also set a goal to run a 5k or 10k. All you need is a pair of good shoes and you are ready to go. I remember at one point when I weighed 222 I could barely run a mile and now I have finished my first 1/2 marathon in May and have another one in 3 weeks.

Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    For a full-body workout there's 30 Day Shred for the some odd workout.

Then there's Power Half Hour that lets you pick whichever body part you want to work on that day (arms, abs, buns, thighs ... and there's also a stretch video).
  • badhorsie777
    Options
    P90x is changing my whole body - it's an effective workout even if you did it every other day... there's no rule that says the workouts ONLY work if they're done 7 days/week or anything like that.

Check out
    http://teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/59874766/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/59798755

to see my "keepin' me honest" posts. I'm putting weekly pictures up. Scroll to the bottom to see what P90x has done for me in only 2 weeks time.

-Matt
  • fozzy33
    fozzy33 Posts: 72
    Options
    Any Biggest Loser DVD's they are all good....if your going to go that route also pick up the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt, its all weights and you can tone on alternating days with that DVD...

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is amazing...starting that back up this week!

Wii Fitness plus....variety of programs from strength training, aerobics, yoga and some good calorie burning games

Invest in a mountain bike! I flat surface ride 5 days a week...and its probably my favorite time of the day! I put my ipod on and go, I love it so much I sometimes forget that Im exercising LOL

Just keep at it....I started on October 17th 2009 and I have lost 84lbs to date....I know MFP says I lost 73 but I started my journey before I found MFP LOL

I weighed 231lbs and now Im down to 147. My life is so much better I can not even tell you...and I thought when I started I would never get there!

You'll do it too! Just keep motivating yourself and you will get the results you want :-)

Michelle
  • shannons_95
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all have given me some great ideas!
  • FitBride080611
    FitBride080611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    With regards to the POWER HALF HOUR series from Beachbody with Tony Horton...does anyone know what I should use when I log one of those workouts on this site? I've heard of logging that type of workout as calisthenics, but when I searched here, I only have the option of calesthenics (pushups and situps)....and I know the power half hour dvds are more than that...

THANKS!

--Maria
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You don't need machines or dvds to get moving. Try some strength exercises such as pushups, lunges, plank, crunches, bicep curls etc
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich's HIIT workouts...30 minutes....there's 3 on one DVD and are all great. www.cathe.com