I faltered over the weekend

Options
I have been doing so well for the past 3 weeks.

This weekend I didn't track my food and only did insanity once this weekend. I ate much more than I should have.

I drank Friday, Saturday and Sunday (heavily I might add). :-(

I stepped on the scale this morning and I gained 6 lbs since Friday!!!

How is that possible?

Replies

• JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Water retention is definitely involved, especially if you ate a lot of high-sodium foods! Just get back on-plan and you'll see that 6 pounds disappear about as quickly as it came on. You cannot undo 3 weeks of living right in two days, promise! :-) In order to have actually gained 6 pounds of fat, you would have had to consume over 21,000 calories this weekend. That's about 30 Big Macs. I'm assuming you did not go *that far* overboard.

Also, for women, time-of-the-month plays a huge role. Most of us fluctuate 4-5 pounds the week of our periods from water retention alone.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I do this about once a month!! I wish I could go out, have 2 glasses of wine, "normal" amount of food and enjoy the night. However, I end up getting home and binging on everything. I will gain 3-4 lbs doing this but... I get right back on track the next day no matter how bad I feel. It takes a week to get back to weight before doing this. My goal is to go out, have fun and realize that I need to watch what I eat if I am going to have a few glasses of wine.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yup, I fell of the healthy eating wagon last week and over the weekend - I blame my husband being away and me being all alone, not bothered about cooking decent meals for myself.

But I am not going my past to determine my future, so I am going to a boxing class tonight and I am planning to give my absolutely best!!

Keep going, don't give up - we all sometimes slip, but as long as you're committed to this healthy lifestyle and determined to keep eating healthy and exercising, you will be fine!
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, even just one drink, always makes me hold water. Two days later it's all or mostly gone. I try to keep my alcohol consumption down to one or two times a month just because it's so demotivating seeing those pounds on the scale and I have been known to follow a bad scale experience with an equally bad eating experience. It snowballs.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You're probably just dehydrated from the alcohol. Be good this week, and you'll be right back on track. Maybe instead of bingeing on beer, have a couple in moderation every so often so it doesn't feel so taboo?
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    water

Keep up the good work you were doing, nothing wrong with having some fun, just don't get carried away.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh wow twin! I did horrifically this weekend as well. All thanks to my buddy alcohol. I don't drink that often, but when I get absolutely hammered beyond comprehension Del Taco sounds like a good option at 3AM, haha.

Oh well, I have felt guilty about it this week.... plus the time change crippled me. Went on my normal 2 mile jog/run this morning and back on the wagon! I finally have been able to tell myself not to let 3 days of bad eating/habits get me down. I want to extend those wise words to you as well!

And yes, my scale said I gained over 5 lbs this weekend as well. I agree with everybody and say it's water retention, give it a week of back to good habits and those lbs should see a serious drop!
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me this past weekend (it was my birthday, so a little celebrating was in order). I was 4 pounds heavier Monday, but this morning I am back where I was before the weekend. It had to have been water weight. from some alocohol and higher sodium food from when we ate out. I am back to being a good girl now :wink:
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do this about once a month!! I wish I could go out, have 2 glasses of wine, "normal" amount of food and enjoy the night. However, I end up getting home and binging on everything. I will gain 3-4 lbs doing this but... I get right back on track the next day no matter how bad I feel. It takes a week to get back to weight before doing this. My goal is to go out, have fun and realize that I need to watch what I eat if I am going to have a few glasses of wine.

I am A WINO. I enjoy my wine. Really now what i am trying to do is limit it to one night on the weekend, where I can really enjoy a couple of glasses. 2 small glasses?Yeah okay. More like a bottle. And thats okay, because come the following day i get back on it. In all seriousness, im not an alcoholic, but--if I couldn't enjoy my wine on game night--or a night out at the pub (either wine--or ever more calorie laden full bodied--delicious, delicious beer; none of that light crap, I want a guiness.) I probably wouldn't stick to the diet. And would say to myself--well hell I blew it all on wine so I just have more and eat this pizza...also lets get chicken wings and doritos. So--wine I have. And if theres cheese, I'll even have that too. When I reach my goal and am at maintence, I want to say; I did this, i didn't deprive myself of my one true love (aside from my husband and dog) so this is how im going to lead my life!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Retaining water...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Water retention is definitely involved, especially if you ate a lot of high-sodium foods! Just get back on-plan and you'll see that 6 pounds disappear about as quickly as it came on. You cannot undo 3 weeks of living right in two days, promise! :-) In order to have actually gained 6 pounds of fat, you would have had to consume over 21,000 calories this weekend. That's about 30 Big Macs. I'm assuming you did not go *that far* overboard.

Also, for women, time-of-the-month plays a huge role. Most of us fluctuate 4-5 pounds the week of our periods from water retention alone.

^ this ^
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You filled up your muscle glycogen and are holding the associated water that goes along with it. Slash your carbohydrates for 2 days and do some high repetition exercises, and you'll lose it all.

It's not body fat -- at least most of it isn't.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I totally read that as "I farted over the weekend" at first, and I was like, oh? What do ya want, a medal? LMAO

As everyone already said, I'm pretty sure it's water retention... you're totally ok. :)
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words.
    I had a hard day at the gym this morning. I did my leg day of heavy lifting and made gains over last week strength wise. For me I can drink heavily or not at all. Thanks for recommending having one or two, but that doesn't do much to me but want more.

I am better off limiting the frequency when I drink, rather than the quantity.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Oh snap, I had an awful weekend too!

Scratch a line through it and start again, like the other said, water retention is highly likely especially as you drank heavily (dehydration and all that)

If you have to weigh weekly do it on a friday before splurge! then you have a few days after the weekend to even things out again
  • sxymace
    sxymace Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. I did the same thing this weekend. Spent each night up late drinking with my husband playing Black Ops, not exercising and eating whatever. I practically cried seeing the jump on my scale (then again, what did I expect?) Snapped out of it on Monday, got back into working out and already the water weight has gone. I agree with everyone in that you've just got to get right back on track and move past the slip up. S___ happens, ya know?

Better yet, if you know you have had a temporarily slip up, skip weighing in altogether for a week...You know it's not going to be good, why torture yourself over a mistake?