What to do with your fat clothes?

I am curious what others do who have lost a lot of weight do with their old fat clothes? I have a few boxes of my former "fat" clothes that no longer fit (one nice suit, dress shirts, jeans, t-shirts). Fortunately, I work from home so I don't need lots of suits for work. I don't really have storage issues since I have a cold storage in my basement. I am curious what others have done with your old clothes. I also wonder about the psychological effect of holding on to old fat clothes. I'm thinking that if I just get rid of my old clothes, I will be free of my former fat self. What are your thoughts?

I have lost 165+ pounds in the last 13 months and I feel great. I still have another 30-40 pounds to go. My other clothes were just draping on me so I have had to buy some more clothes. I am now wearing a size XLT shirt down from a 4XLT a year ago. I have a tall torso so I still prefer tall shirts. Normal shirts are usually too short for me. I also bought a new sport coat that is a size 48 long. I used to wear a size 62 suit. I also bought some other clothes that are size XL. My jeans are now waist size 42 after being a waist size of 58/60. I can now buy jeans at Walmart instead of having to go to the big and tall store. They are a lot cheaper too and there is so much more selection. I'm not a huge fashion guy but getting a new wardrobe and more clothing choices are more benefits of losing weight.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Donate em, get the donation slips, write them off on your taxes next year.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    I donate what can be reused to charity: goodwill, dress for success (work clothes, business attire), etc
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    I hang on to mine, but they are only one or two sizes bigger, so there is a real chance i might need them some day lol.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Got rid of all of them. They all went to Savers for donation. Didn't want to have anything in the house that, even in the back of my head, I knew would be there if the weight came back.

Well, I kept a few of my favorite t-shirts. But only because I'd spent years building up a collection of almost 200 tees and there were a few that I just couldn't stand to part with.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Donate. Or give to relatives, if they can use any of them.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,902 Member
    I'm only down two sizes so going to get suits for work altered. Have donated some to the charity Dress for Success, and other stuff to a friend who is my old size.
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    I've been through this before. You should donate your clothes and figure you are a philanthropist. This is your legacy and generous donation to humanity. The material from your clothes will either grace another fat person's frame, or will go out into the world as rags... maybe even to Africa!
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Well, I kept a few of my favorite t-shirts. But only because I'd spent years building up a collection of almost 200 tees and there were a few that I just couldn't stand to part with.

Frame them. They make an interesting art statement.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    I donated all mine. I don't have any plans on going back to that size and do not need to keep them.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Straight into the garbage with them. I don't even want to consider the option that I "may one day fit back into them". Don't hold on to them with the expectation that one day you'll need them... because if you think like that then you WILL need them.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    I gave them all to Goodwill! Goodbye fat clothes!!!
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 573 Member
    I would NOT recommend giving them to anyone you know. Years ago my SIL did that to me .. she said, I lost a bunch of weight so I don't need these anymore so you can have them. Talk about a slap to the face. Even if you think they would fit them, I think they feel insulted even if it was given without that snide remark. Just my two cents for what it's worth. Goodwill is always a good place to go.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Sacrificial bonfire.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Anything that's still fit to wear will go to charity, and t-shirts etc which are too worn will be used around the house (mopping spills, cleaning the car). Any dresses/suits which I love too much to part with I will get altered - unless it costs more than a new frock /suit:wink: My biggest pair of trousers I will use for my "after" photo before donating:smile:

ETA or I may have a swishing party - that's where you swap things amongst friends/neighgbours
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Goodwill, church clothing drives, consignment shops....or have a yard sale!
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Planet Aid boxes or other charity drop-boxes on the side of the road. It feels good to "throw them away" by dropping them into the bins yet knowing that someone else will be able to use them.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    with t-shirts or sweatshirts you could have the logo part cut out into squares and made into a quilt... memories without the messy storage!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    I'm just starting my first purge of fatter clothes. I'm now smaller than my mom and she's given me a lot of her smaller sizes. I've also hung on to some of my old smaller stuff. I've only purchased 3 new shirts as a reward for my progress (all on huge discount & with a gift card from christmas). I'll send her my bigger stuff here shortly and send back the smaller stuff in a few weeks when it's too big. I'll probably keep the biggest pair of jeans I have and a couple along the way down so I can have a reminder not to get that big again as well as something for a before and after shot. From a financial prospective, I'm not looking forward to my next big purge since I don't have anyone that has clothes in those sizes that I can barrow from. I have no problem shopping for things at Goodwill other than it's nice to go to a retail store, see something you like and pick the size you want rather than sorting through rack after rack.
  • ereach4731
    ereach4731 Posts: 41 Member
    Before I started back to school I owned a plus size only consignment store. So you could try consigning and make some extra cash to buy new things.

I still sell things online for some clients; you could try this. Although, if you are not used to selling online, you may find it to be time consuming.

Donate. So many people are in need of clothes. I'm not sure where you are, but I'm just outside of NJ. Many Hurricaine Sandy victims are still in need as well as numerous others/other charities. Just be reasonable. You don't want to donate stuff that is worn out to someone. Get a tax write off. If you have dress clothes, there are alot of organizations that help people get on there feet again.

Yard sale.

In my area alot of churches and other organizations hold consignment charity sales. You drop your stuff off, they sell it. It's a quick thing done in a weekend. The nice thing is that if you don't want the items back, they ill donate for you at the end.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    If they are really nice clothes and suits, you could donate them to a place like Covenant House. They are in most major cities and they help teens and young adults that are homeless to get educated, employeed, and self-relient. They are completely donation funded. Because they do not report to the state (to keep the teens they help from being reported to CPS and DFS) the do not get anystate funds. They could aways us nice business clothes, and larger sizes are a prize becasue they get them so rarely. Please look into, because I know they would really be put to a great use!
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Donate them and make a few of them garage rags or garage towels
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Donate them.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    I'm still wearing mine! :blushing:
    They're a size 14 (UK) and I'm now a size 12 (UK) but they still look pretty lose!
    I can't afford new ones yet :frown: the downsides of student life...
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Keep one or two items as a reminder to not go there again.
    Donate the rest to a charitable organization
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Donate. Or give to relatives, if they can use any of them.

^^THIS. Do NOT keep them!
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    I donate things to a local food pantry that provides food and clothing (for free) to people in need.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Donate!

Your fat clothes are someone else's new clothes.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Donate em, get the donation slips, write them off on your taxes next year.

This is what I did. I donated 3 FULL bags to Value Village the other day and will probably have another 1 or 2 in the next week.

Don't hold on to them..
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Donate them. But, do keep one pair of pants and a shirt just for a reminder:) I kept one pair of pants and even though I have 20 lbs to relose, I can still fit in one pants leg:)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I donated to Goodwill, although I have a few really nice items that I will either have tailored or sell in a consignment shop. IF I ever lose more weight.