Assistance with a not so tasty "shake"?

Options
Hello everyone. I've been using myfitnesspal for awhile but this is my first post to the boards. I'm very big so myfitnesspal was putting me at 2340 calories and I wasn't getting any smaller. Because I have recently been told I am diabetic I have been trying to find ways to reverse it if at all possible. I went to see a holistic doctor and he wants me to eat low carb at1600 calories a day. This seems like a pretty terrifying jump to me, but so far the worst part is the "shake" he wants me to eat! It is called Metagenics glycemx and taking it means I can stop taking Metformin. Metformin has made me nauseous the entire time I've been on it, so I was happy to give it up. Unfortunately, this meal replacement powder, which I am supposed to eat twice a day, is not making me any less nauseous! Today I tried blending it with unsweet almond milk and that helped some, but it's still very hard to get it down. Any low-carb suggestions on ways to make it more palatable? Any would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress shakes. 140 calories. Very tasty.
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of shakes out there, the one I drink is actually low on the glycemic index. But to start anything new, you would really need to check with the doc to make sure there are no interactions. I would really talk to him thought to see if he can suggest something else.

1600 does seem like a huge jump, too. Maybe you can find a good nutritionist to help you work out a better meal plan? I love going to a holistic doctor, but sometimes you might need another opinion or more help!
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If it makes you sick, ditch it. Not everyone responds the same way. Ask for other brands. I never liked the metagenics either.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I dislike a lot of shakes, but I use them for the extra protein. If the guideline says something like "add 12-14 oz water", I just do 8 oz or something like that. My reasoning is that the less there is, the sooner it'll be over. Haha. So I just gulp it down and chase it with something I actually do like. :)
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Can you add things to it...like sugar free jello pudding mixes and sugar free coffee syrups and spices? I use Herbalife meal replacement powders and have found a million types of recipes out there. Just not sure what is safe for diabetics?

For example, I added to my vanilla powder: applesauce (natural), cinnamon, and vanilla extract to make Apple Pie shake.

Peanut butter is good in shakes. Fruits.

Just search for Herbalife recipes. I'm sure you can adjust as needed!!!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    ).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I've added a tablespoon of pudding mix to shakes I didn't like and they did make them taste better. If you're close to a World Market, they have a lot of sugar free syrups. I think grocery stores basically have vanilla and hazelnut, at least from what I've found.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Have you tried coconut oil? I use about 1/4 a teaspoon in all my shakes and although it adds fat, it's good fat and aids in satiety and flavor.
  • BethanyBBCakes
    BethanyBBCakes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    PUMPKIN PIE SMOOTHIE
    Jay Robb vanilla (no sugar) protein powder
    ~6-8oz almond milk or h20
    3-4 frozen ice cubes of pumpkin puree
    stevia to tase
    nutmeg, cinnamon and all spice

Peppermint Mocha Smoothie
    Jayrobb chocolate protein powder
    a tsp or so of either Tornini sugarfree peppermint syrup or 1/2 tsp mint extract
    ~6-8oz mix of left over coffee or coffee+h2o combo (depending on your preference)