Help with TDEE for a Newbie waning to learn

Options
Hi MFP'ers!

I wonder if you can help me I've been looking into TDEE and I've worked out my BMR based on exercise days and non exercise days , I started to look into it as I don't think it is sustainable for me to eat 1243 calories a day, I'll manage it for a while but I'll then put weight back on again because I like food!!!
So to give you some information to go on I guess you need to know a bit about me so here goes... On exercise days I usually do 80 minutes of intensive exercise, 30 minutes of which are cardio and the rest is weights either floor and abs work on "off days" and resistance weights on "on days" and I generally do 2 days at the gym and then 2 days of no gym.

I am very much a novice (I've been going to the gym since November and that's the first time I've exercised in 15 years) and I'm uncertain on a few things so wanted clarification.
• Working on my TDEE I'm assuming that these calories are really based on eating "clean" rather than 1800 calories of dunk'n donuts?! (I am only sort of joking!) :tongue:
• Is there any way of changing what calories I should be eating on MFP as if I keep seeing I'm going over my calories every day that could really depress me?
• Is eating based on BMR / TDEE ok even if you're not exercising like a demon?
• I have 30lb to lose and I am aiming to lose 1lb a week, is this manageable do you think? And would I start to see results straight away (say within 4 weeks) or should I prepare myself for limited results for a period of time?

On exercise days the TDEE calculator put my daily calorie requirement at 2317 so that would make my calorie intake to lose weight 1847.6
On non-exercise days the TDEE calculator puts your daily calorie requirement at 2229 that means my calorie intake to lose weight Calories 1783.2.

Does this seem right to those of you in the know?

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me as I really want to make informed choices before I wade in! If you need any more information please feel free to ask!

Thank you xx

Nicole

Replies

• palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    IN the forum go to the "general........" category look at teh postings at the top, "topics you want to read again and again" look through all of those posts, also search "in place of a road map 3" for more info on TDEE. There have been a bunch of posting about BMR and TDEE so try searching those
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For starters, you'll want to read this...it will explain pretty much everything better than I can and in a lot of detail:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You don't use two different TDEE values. You choose your activity level and use the TDEE number associated with it - with deficit - EVERY DAY. Thus, if I understand how you calculated your values, you'd use the 2317 Cals as your base.

1 lb a day for 30 lbs is good. Glad to see you're not trying to rush things. And it's also good that you seem to be willing to wait four weeks to see results. Four weeks is probably good, although it may take up to six. Chances are, you'll see changes by the time one month is up, though.

So, to lose 1 lb per week, subtract 500 from 2317 to get 1817. Eat 1817 Cals every day, whether you work out or not. Do not eat back exercise Calories using the TDEE method. And yes, you want to eat good foods, but you don't have to necessarily eat "clean." If you want the occasional donut, then make sure you can fit it into your daily goals.

To change MFP's settings, go to your home page, select the Goals tab, then Change Goals, choose Custom, and then you can enter your new Calorie goal.
  • Chrisgrz
    Chrisgrz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Home > Goals > Change My Goals > Custom and then change the calories to your tdee.

Edit: Ninja'd
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on MFP for over a year, but didn't really learn about all of this (TDEE, BMR) until recently. My TDEE is 2384 and my BMR is 1538. From what I've learned, in order to lose weight you need to eat at least 20% below your TDEE. This would put me at 1907. Now, I think that's too high for me to be eating, so I improvised and fudged a bit and eat about 1650-1750 a day (not eating back exercise calories). I've heard that as long as you don't eat less than your BMR, you're ok. :) The road map that is listed in one of these posts is VERY helpful!
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For starters, you'll want to read this...it will explain pretty much everything better than I can and in a lot of detail:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^THIS. Also he just put an updated one out. Definitely check them out!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=ipoarm+3
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on MFP for over a year, but didn't really learn about all of this (TDEE, BMR) until recently. My TDEE is 2384 and my BMR is 1538. From what I've learned, in order to lose weight you need to eat at least 20% below your TDEE. This would put me at 1907. Now, I think that's too high for me to be eating, so I improvised and fudged a bit and eat about 1650-1750 a day (not eating back exercise calories). I've heard that as long as you don't eat less than your BMR, you're ok. :) The road map that is listed in one of these posts is VERY helpful!

Your method should work quite well, as long as in your not eating back exercise calories, you net at or over your BMR. Otherwise you could be in danger of starving your body.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Read all the thread posted here that have red stickies next to them and then repost your question to the group if you are still confused. They are very experienced and knowledgeable MFP members who will give you honest straight forward answers. Good luck to you.