Food Weight Questions.

Options
So, I weigh my foods before eating. I've come across a small logging question, it's probably been covered before but I can't find it for some reason. I'm having some "Sea Quest Sole Fillets" for lunch the package says it's 400g of fish, after cooking it's 225g. Obviously it lost weight while being cooked, but I wanna do I enter the weight of the food before or after its been cooked.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with before...the weight lost from cooking is probably, mostly water which wouldn't really have any caloric value.
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weight my chicken, sweet potatoes ect... AFTER its been cooked.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I agree with what wolfman said. You're better off over estimating calories than under estimating them.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Usually foods are weighed raw.
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ya, I'm gonna go with raw. Because, if i ate the food raw it would still have the same outcome cooking it should make it 1/2 less calories or anything.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    good to know thanks. I agree with wieghing them raw as well.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Obviously it lost weight while being cooked.

I laughed when I read read this and thought... maybe I should cook myself to lose weight :laugh: jk

Anyway, I would go with the raw weight. Does the nutrition label state the serving size as grams and whether it is grams raw or cooked?
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    All the nutrition experts I've ever spoken with have the same rule "weigh your food in the state you eat it in". So in this case you would weigh it after cooking. The big exception here is pasta - always weigh it dry since you can't control how much water it will absorb.

One caveat - double check the calories of your packaged fish against the same kind of fish in it's fresh state. This will let you know if the packager counted the water as serving grams.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    if I'm going to eat something raw, I weight it raw. If I'm going to eat something cooked, I weigh it cooked.
    For example, if I'm going to eat Chicken breast, I weight it cooked and then calculate calories based on that weight - cooked.
    I don't see why you'd calculate the raw weight when you're not eating it raw. Plus caloric values change for some foods once they've been cooked.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    if I'm going to eat something raw, I weight it raw. If I'm going to eat something cooked, I weigh it cooked.
    For example, if I'm going to eat Chicken breast, I weight it cooked and then calculate calories based on that weight - cooked.
    I don't see why you'd calculate the raw weight when you're not eating it raw. Plus caloric values change for some foods once they've been cooked.

I weight meats raw because the package doesn't say exactly how many calories are in it cooked. Can it have less calories, yes, but I don't know how to figure out that number so I use what I know.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely before. It didn't half calories whilst being cooked. You'd be under estimating your calories by around 50%

Zara x

ETA...i just asked this on my page. Mixed ideas on if to weigh meat before of after. Im confused now! Lol. All i know is weighing it before has always worked for me and i'd rather under estimate than over! X
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    So, I weigh my foods before eating. I've come across a small logging question, it's probably been covered before but I can't find it for some reason. I'm having some "Sea Quest Sole Fillets" for lunch the package says it's 400g of fish, after cooking it's 225g. Obviously it lost weight while being cooked, but I wanna do I enter the weight of the food before or after its been cooked.

The weight on a nutritional label is before cooking weight, therefore you use the 400g not 225g.