fittness or fat burn

Options
hi am male and weight 278 lb .when i exercise i wear my hrm ft7 . on average i do 30 mins to 50 mins walking on the treadmill at 3.5 mph . if i walk slower i burn off more fat .if i walk at 3.5 mph i get higher fittness .

so what is best for me please

Replies

• melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I used to be a walker. NO WAY should you run when carrying around a bunch of extra weight. Running is very hard on the body and joints for a thin person, let along someone carrying around 20+ extra pounds. Running will not make you more fit than walking. Running will just build up your endurance. I run long races because I like the challenge and I like the shape it gives my body (as a woman is really shaves done the butt and thighs!).

When I started out, I walked, but on a steep incline. I still walk on a steep incline if I want to focus on toning my butt more, rather than endurance.

If you are not careful, you will squash your running career, and possibly severely limit your range for many other high impact activities.
  • Richard269
    Options
    The way I look at it is that it best to chose fitness as the fitter you get the more cals you use any way .
  • johnny26113
    Options
    thank you for the tips
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The heart range ranges really aren't all that important. I say walk at the faster pace and continually aim to get better. The faster you walk, the more calories you burn in the same amount of time. THis means that over all, you will lose more fat because you will have the higher deficit. The "fat burning zones" and "cardio zones" don't really matter.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    The "fat burning zones" and "cardio zones" don't really matter.

Yep, they are complete BS.

It's a myth that you have to work out continuously for 20 minutes before you begin burning fat. The thinking once was that you needed to exercise in a range between 60 percent and 80 percent of your maximum heart rate. Any lower was too easy, and any higher made it too difficult to efficiently use fat for fuel.

Ignore that theory. Your body uses more energy overall when training at high intensities—just look at the physique of a sprinter. Going all out also makes better use of your time. You can finish your cardio in an intense 10- to 15-minute workout.

Stick to interval workouts that feature short bursts of high-intensity movement followed by active recovery periods. This approach is best for your heart and for fat loss.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/weight_lifting_tips_for_definition/Ignore_the_Fat-Burning_Zone.php#ixzz2NLVSzrLI