fittness or fat burn

Options
hi am male and weight 278 lb .when i exercise i wear my hrm ft7 . on average i do 30 mins to 50 mins walking on the treadmill at 3.5 mph . if i walk slower i burn off more fat .if i walk at 3.5 mph i get higher fittness .

so what is best for me please

Replies

• jcreighton48
    jcreighton48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd say being fit is more important, it will give you more energy so you're able to do more throughout the day, but try switching it up everyday. If you want to lose weight, as long as you're maintaining a calorie deficit you will!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Really dependent on your fitness goals. Also, the "fat burn" zone is really somewhat misleading...yes, more calories are coming from fat stores, but overall you burn more calories from something more intense, so it all really nets out in the end.

I prefer to call the "fat burn" zone the "recovery" zone...I think it's more accurate. I workout in the aerobic zone 2 days per week, VO2 Max interval zone 1 day per week, and recovery zone 3 times per week (on my lifting days).
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For instance, whether I run or power walk I burn a little over 100 calories per mile. I participate in 5ks, half-marathons and other races, so being fit and getting there quickly is more important than the actual calorie burn. Fat burn is important if you are just trying to shed pounds, Fit is better if you're trying to become a better athlete.

Both are beneficial to your long term health, of course.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont worry about fat burning zone or anything like that.

just do your workout and keep challenging yourself.
  • johnny26113
    Options
    thank you all for your tips
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In the long term working out in the fitness zone will give you more benefit. Your aerobic fitness will increase faster and higher enabling your body to do increasingly more work thereby burning more calories and a lot more fat in each workout.